Mountain Lions Are Scary

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Mountain Lions Are Scary

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am

Mountain Lions Are Scary. That guy that wrestled one yesterday in CO was lucky to survive.

When I traveled in 1999/2000, at a trailhead parking area in a CO wilderness area a very large male circled my truck & slide in pop up camper very early in the morning, after a monsoon rain. It circled my truck twice leaving huge hamburger bun sized tracks in the wet soil. I did not know until after I made my coffee and got out and lit a smoke & saw the tracks. The truck camper was pretty secure and I always felt safe but when I saw those tracks I might have looked like I'd seen a ghost. I saw a taxidermy on one at a CO Natl Park and its extended front claws were the size of baseball gloves. 8O I've heard that, pound for pound, they are the most lethal cat on earth. "Here, kitty, kitty."

I prefer smaller cats...

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Re: Mountain Lions Are Scary

Post by FredS » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:39 am

That attack was just 5 or 6 miles west of my house at Horsetooth Mountain. Dude choked out an 80lb mountain lion and gained instant legend status 'round here.

One person said joggers should carry laser pointers.
Last edited by FredS on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am

One of the news guys here was saying, "...it was just a juvenile cat, only 80 pounds..." The other news guy asked him if he had ever tried to hold onto a 12 pound house cat that didn't want to be held on to? Then he said imagine that 7 times bigger and wild and hunting you...The first news guy got very quiet...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:09 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:39 am
That attack was just 5 or 6 miles west of my house at Horsetooth Mountain. Dude choked out an 80lb mountain lion and gained instant legend status 'round here.

Here kitty kitty kitty.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 am

Wildlife officials recommend jogging with a partner. A slower partner.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:15 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 am
Wildlife officials recommend jogging with a partner. A slower partner.
:rotfl:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:09 am
FredS wrote:

Here kitty kitty kitty.

That works on a well fed and playful house cat but not a hungry juvenile Mountain Lion. Its own laser dot is on YOU.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am

It was Chuck Norris. And Chuck was the one hunting the mountain lion. He gave it a 5 minute headstart.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:23 am

FredS wrote:
And he'll have the scars to prove it.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 pm

This is a rough time of year for predators, especially juvenile predators. Most die. Lack of experience and unable to find productive food holding territory of their own.

We had a cyclist get killed from a young lion hear in OC a few years ago. An isolated population of lions pent in by cities and freeways. They put a radio collar on one and watched how the poor thing traveled around the edge of the Santa Anna Mointains looking for a way to leave because all the prime area was already taken by other lions. Of course the voters in our state in their infinite wisdom and wisdom voted to outlaw mountain lion hunting here, this only furthers their struggle.

I’ve seen Mountains lions twice in eastern San Diego county and once while archery hunting, I came across a fresh kill of partly covered deer takwn by one. It was 5 AM in December and dark. I remember it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Then I reassured myself that at least that cat wasn’t hungry. But yeah, eastern San Diego county has a lot of cats, both Mointain Lions and Bobcats.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Our neighborhood and the surrounding area are full of mountain lions, but because we also have very healthy deer populations they aren't often a problem.

They can sometimes be unnerving, but nobody here has been attacked.

However, one of our nearby neighbors lost several sheep and goats to one last fall. One was on the porch of our closest neighbor's house when she came back from grocery shopping around the same time (likely the same cat), and last year a mother gave birth to kittens just up the road from us and they hung around the neighborhood for a few months.

A "Junction Creek" lion with a deer kill (photo from the local paper). We live in a side valley off Junction Creek.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Couple of videos of other Junction Creek lions from the local paper ...

This is on CR204, which is the road from town out to our place that follows Junction Creek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMrLwkFnlc8

This is the Junction Creek momma and one of her kids taken with a backyard video game camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMP8Db4CICc
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:08 pm

A real man would've stopped and taken that kill away from the cat.

Kidding aside, big cats are fascinating to me. When I was a kid I got to see Cougar Country at the matinee in Rolla, Missouri. I was so fascinated I talked mom into sitting through it again on the next showing (you could do that in the olden days). Ever since, when I see these stories about big cat attacks I often find myself on the side of the cat. Incredible creatures.

Not at all in line with my attitude about house cats.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Bears, big cats, and moose give me the heebie jeebies. I suppose a wolf would to if I ever saw one. Not scared necessarily, just . . . something else. It's reassuring to know there are wild places they can still live. But seeing one up close, close enough to smell it, well that gets your heart pumping in a whole new way. You can bet your last dime the jogger who was attacked felt a little more grateful when he awoke this morning than he did a few days ago.

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 pm
Bears, big cats, and moose give me the heebie jeebies. I suppose a wolf would to if I ever saw one. Not scared necessarily, just . . . something else. It's reassuring to know there are wild places they can still live. But seeing one up close, close enough to smell it, well that gets your heart pumping in a whole new way. You can bet your last dime the jogger who was attacked felt a little more grateful when he awoke this morning than he did a few days ago.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 pm

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:56 pm

My mom says I pronounced cougar 'coo coo' when I was little.

Super cute, I know.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 am

Is there a difference between a mountain lion and a cougar, or is it a regional naming thing?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 am
Is there a difference between a mountain lion and a cougar, or is it a regional naming thing?
Never heard of a puma, a Nittany lion, or a catamount, eh?

Congrats, guys. This thread is banging an 11 on the insane- and-or-inane-o-meter.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am
Cleon wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 am
Never heard of a puma, a Nittany lion, or a catamount, eh?

Congrats, guys. This thread is banging an 11 on the insane- and-or-inane-o-meter.
Seriously? We haven't even touched upon toxoplasmosis in this thread yet-- talk about scary!Image
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning