Mountain Lions Are Scary

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Mountain Lions Are Scary

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:50 am

When my son was young, we used to head for the hills on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon with the .22s. We would take a walk and shoot dirt clods and cans and any other targets. We would normally walk a couple of miles in a kind of circle back to the truck. One day we found a partially eaten deer that was covered over with a branch and leaves. I figured it was a mountain lion kill but wasn't worried about it, I figured the lion was off sleeping or wandering. We were contacted at the truck by a DOW officer who wanted to see if we were hunting. I told him about the deer and he told me that the lion was likely less than 100 yards away...he said they stick around and watch/guard their kills. Made the hairs on my neck stand up...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:50 am
I told him about the deer and he told me that the lion was likely less than 100 yards away...he said they stick around and watch/guard their kills.
GaryFinallyBackinTexas is that way with leftover BBQ.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am
Bloodhound wrote:
I told him about the deer and he told me that the lion was likely less than 100 yards away...he said they stick around and watch/guard their kills.
GaryFinallyBackinTexas is that way with leftover BBQ.
:lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 am

Bloodhound wrote:
When my son was young, we used to head for the hills on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon with the .22s. We would take a walk and shoot dirt clods and cans and any other targets. We would normally walk a couple of miles in a kind of circle back to the truck. One day we found a partially eaten deer that was covered over with a branch and leaves. I figured it was a mountain lion kill but wasn't worried about it, I figured the lion was off sleeping or wandering. We were contacted at the truck by a DOW officer who wanted to see if we were hunting. I told him about the deer and he told me that the lion was likely less than 100 yards away...he said they stick around and watch/guard their kills. Made the hairs on my neck stand up...
Yup, when I found that kill I felt like I was being watched, and it was dark.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Stanley76
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:10 pm

No lions around here, just bobcats, coyotes, bears, red wolves etc. I went out to Colorado Springs around 20 years ago and hiked some area just outside a subdivision out there. A woman jogger had been killed by a mountain lion the year before on the same trail we were hiking. So I have no experience with cougars....actually that's not quite true. I did survive multiple attacks by a cougar when I was 19 but there was no lasting harm done and the whole experience was rather gratifying in my youthful opinion.
Proverbs 26:11 - As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:10 pm
No lions around here, just bobcats, coyotes, bears, red wolves etc. I went out to Colorado Springs around 20 years ago and hiked some area just outside a subdivision out there. A woman jogger had been killed by a mountain lion the year before on the same trail we were hiking. So I have no experience with cougars....actually that's not quite true. I did survive multiple attacks by a cougar when I was 19 but there was no lasting harm done and the whole experience was rather gratifying in my youthful opinion.
I married mine.

Stanley76
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:42 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
I married mine.
It would have been awkward to marry mine.
Proverbs 26:11 - As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:42 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
I married mine.
It would have been awkward to marry mine.
I see what you did there.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Scott ( aka - Thor )

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm
How does one pick up a child without bending?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:03 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm
How does one pick up a child without bending?
Looks like someone handed him the child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2FtPtuMBs
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Back to the OP -
The park where the mountain lion attack happened is still closed. Reading between the lines, it seems wildlife officials are concerned that the lions mother or sibling are still in the area. Officials were on the scene only two hours after the attack was reported (ostensibly when the runner went to the hospital) but the lion had already been partially eaten so they can't identify it's sex or age but the lion was probably young enough (less than a year old) to still travel with it's mother and sibling. The place is lousy with deer so it's not surprising that at least a few cats call it home.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:45 pm
Back to the OP -
The park where the mountain lion attack happened is still closed. Reading between the lines, it seems wildlife officials are concerned that the lions mother or sibling are still in the area. Officials were on the scene only two hours after the attack was reported (ostensibly when the runner went to the hospital) but the lion had already been partially eaten so they can't identify it's sex or age but the lion was probably young enough (less than a year old) to still travel with it's mother and sibling. The place is lousy with deer so it's not surprising that at least a few cats call it home.
I have seen juvenile Mountain Lions pairing together as they learn hunting and capturing prey. So it was surprising to me that this young male was by himself. Lucky for the guy who encountered it, though.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Officials reopened the park today after capturing and relocating two juvenile lions. Also, the dude who was attacked has come forward to publicly identify himself and tell his story. He said the struggle lasted 10 MINUTES!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 am

That's a great link, Fred, as it includes an audio interview with the fellow.

Kauffman is lucky this was only a 30-40- pound juvenile Mountain Lion. Adult males can weigh up to 180 pounds or more, and that's all pure muscle. I've read that, pound for pound, an adult Mountain Lion is the most lethal cat on the planet.