The Baptist Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 4139
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:42 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:14 pm
Which Baptists?

Alliance of Baptists
American Baptist Association
American Baptist Churches in the USA
Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America
Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
Baptist Bible Fellowship International
Baptist General Conference
Baptist Missionary Association of America
Central Baptist Association
Christian Unity Baptist Association
Conservative Baptist Association of America
Continental Baptist Churches
Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
Enterprise Association of Regular Baptists
Free Will Baptist
Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship
Fundamental Baptist Fellowship Association
Fundamental Baptist Fellowship of America
General Association of Baptists
General Association of General Baptists
General Association of Regular Baptist Churches
General Conference of the Evangelical Baptist Church, Inc.
General Six-Principle Baptists
Independent Baptist Church of America
Independent Baptist Fellowship International
Independent Baptist Fellowship of North America
Indian Bottom Association of Old Regular Baptists
Institutional Missionary Baptist Conference of America
Interstate & Foreign Landmark Missionary Baptist Association
Landmark Baptists
Liberty Baptist Fellowship
Macedonia Baptist World Missions
Mainstream Baptist Network
National Association of Free Will Baptists
National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.
National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
National Baptist Evangelical Life and Soul Saving Assembly of the U.S.A.
National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
National Primitive Baptist Convention of the U.S.A.
North American Baptist Conference
Old Regular Baptist
Old Time Missionary Baptist
Original Free Will Baptist Convention
Primitive Baptist Universalists
Primitive Baptists
Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.
Reformed Baptist
Regular Baptist
Roger Williams Fellowship
Separate Baptist
Separate Baptists in Christ
Seventh Day Baptist General Conference
Southern Baptist Convention
Southwide Baptist Fellowship
Sovereign Grace Baptists
Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists
United American Free Will Baptist Church
United American Free Will Baptist Conference
United Baptist
Unregistered Baptist Fellowship
World Baptist Fellowship
Worldwide Baptist New Testament Missions
State and interstate bodies
Association of Fundamental Baptist Churches of Northern California
Association of Independent Baptist Churches of Illinois
Baptist General Association of Virginia
Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma
Baptist General Convention of Texas
Dakota Baptist Association
District of Columbia Baptist Convention
Empire State Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches
General Baptist State Convention of North Carolina, Inc.
Inter-Mountain Baptist Fellowship
Interstate & Foreign Landmark Missionary Baptists Association
List of state and other conventions associated with the Southern Baptist Convention
Minnesota Baptist Association
Minnesota Baptist Conference
Mountain States Baptist Fellowship
New England Evangelical Baptist Fellowship
Ohio Valley Association of Christian Baptist Churches of God
Southern Baptists of Texas Convention
Wisconsin Fellowship of Baptist Churches
You forgot Canadian Baptists of Western Canada, jerk.
And the Western Baptists of Southern North Dakota.
Jim- your post seems disorienting. :lol:
I grew up in a Baptist Bible Fellowship International church and went to one of their bible schools. I know it's the best Baptist kinda church because both my church and college told me so.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Fainn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am

tuttle wrote:In Southern Baptist news: LifeWay to Close All 170 Christian Stores

I've visited LifeWay stores before. It was like 10% good to decent stuff, 40% heretical and/or worthless stuff, and 50% Christianized kitschy crap. Gee, I wonder why they're closing? The only problem is that now people are going to have a hard time finding Testa-mints.
Family Christian closed 2 years ago. So now there will be no more chain bms.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Sledin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:42 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:14 pm
Which Baptists?

Alliance of Baptists
American Baptist Association
American Baptist Churches in the USA
Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America
Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
Baptist Bible Fellowship International
Baptist General Conference
Baptist Missionary Association of America
Central Baptist Association
Christian Unity Baptist Association
Conservative Baptist Association of America
Continental Baptist Churches
Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
Enterprise Association of Regular Baptists
Free Will Baptist
Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship
Fundamental Baptist Fellowship Association
Fundamental Baptist Fellowship of America
General Association of Baptists
General Association of General Baptists
General Association of Regular Baptist Churches
General Conference of the Evangelical Baptist Church, Inc.
General Six-Principle Baptists
Independent Baptist Church of America
Independent Baptist Fellowship International
Independent Baptist Fellowship of North America
Indian Bottom Association of Old Regular Baptists
Institutional Missionary Baptist Conference of America
Interstate & Foreign Landmark Missionary Baptist Association
Landmark Baptists
Liberty Baptist Fellowship
Macedonia Baptist World Missions
Mainstream Baptist Network
National Association of Free Will Baptists
National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.
National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
National Baptist Evangelical Life and Soul Saving Assembly of the U.S.A.
National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
National Primitive Baptist Convention of the U.S.A.
North American Baptist Conference
Old Regular Baptist
Old Time Missionary Baptist
Original Free Will Baptist Convention
Primitive Baptist Universalists
Primitive Baptists
Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.
Reformed Baptist
Regular Baptist
Roger Williams Fellowship
Separate Baptist
Separate Baptists in Christ
Seventh Day Baptist General Conference
Southern Baptist Convention
Southwide Baptist Fellowship
Sovereign Grace Baptists
Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists
United American Free Will Baptist Church
United American Free Will Baptist Conference
United Baptist
Unregistered Baptist Fellowship
World Baptist Fellowship
Worldwide Baptist New Testament Missions
State and interstate bodies
Association of Fundamental Baptist Churches of Northern California
Association of Independent Baptist Churches of Illinois
Baptist General Association of Virginia
Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma
Baptist General Convention of Texas
Dakota Baptist Association
District of Columbia Baptist Convention
Empire State Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches
General Baptist State Convention of North Carolina, Inc.
Inter-Mountain Baptist Fellowship
Interstate & Foreign Landmark Missionary Baptists Association
List of state and other conventions associated with the Southern Baptist Convention
Minnesota Baptist Association
Minnesota Baptist Conference
Mountain States Baptist Fellowship
New England Evangelical Baptist Fellowship
Ohio Valley Association of Christian Baptist Churches of God
Southern Baptists of Texas Convention
Wisconsin Fellowship of Baptist Churches
You forgot Canadian Baptists of Western Canada, jerk.
And the Western Baptists of Southern North Dakota.
Jim- your post seems disorienting. :lol:
I grew up in a Baptist Bible Fellowship International church and went to one of their bible schools. I know it's the best Baptist kinda church because both my church and college told me so.
I went to a Baptist college in Ontario Canada (Summit College, Donald Miller talks about it in one or two of his books).
Leant I’m not a Baptist...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Jester » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:05 am

It would be interesting to see how many of these "different" Baptists hold to the same confessions.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by tuttle » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:55 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:05 am
It would be interesting to see how many of these "different" Baptists hold to the same confessions.
My guess is that the majority of these 'divisions' are geographical. A lot of them are also descriptive, so much so that folks in the exact same Baptist church could apply different descriptors to different members. Someone could identify as a Reformed Baptist and another a Primitive Baptist and another a Sovereign Grace Baptist, (and maybe one person could claim all at the same time!) and all worship together for a lifetime without squabbles.

And a lot of these 'denominations' are associations or conventions, which are bottom up rather than top down organizations. Certain churches would find the idea of associating with similar minded bodies for things like supporting missionaries or education or whatever.

Not trying to say that there aren't divisions under the "Baptist" umbrella, there are, and some are very necessary, but the ginormous list does make it seem like there's much more division than there really is.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by tuttle » Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am

A storm's a brewin' in the SBC about women preaching...

Beth Moore Challenges Theologian, Explains Why Women Should Preach in Church
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Jester » Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am
A storm's a brewin' in the SBC about women preaching...

Beth Moore Challenges Theologian, Explains Why Women Should Preach in Church
The most troubling thing from Beth is she continues in the error she has been called out in before.
I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit - I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the sexism & misogyny that is rampant in segments of the SBC, cloaked by piety & bearing the stench of hypocrisy.
This is the common thread in health, wealth and prosperity teachers. "The Holy Spirit has revealed something specific to me outside of Scripture." What happens when she is challenged by someone who says, "I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit- I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the progressive movement of women having authority in the church running rampant in the SBC, cloaked by a false calling and revelation of God."

This is not the first time Beth has claimed to had divine revelation from outside of Scripture.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by tuttle » Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am

Jester wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am
A storm's a brewin' in the SBC about women preaching...

Beth Moore Challenges Theologian, Explains Why Women Should Preach in Church
The most troubling thing from Beth is she continues in the error she has been called out in before.
I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit - I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the sexism & misogyny that is rampant in segments of the SBC, cloaked by piety & bearing the stench of hypocrisy.
This is the common thread in health, wealth and prosperity teachers. "The Holy Spirit has revealed something specific to me outside of Scripture." What happens when she is challenged by someone who says, "I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit- I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the progressive movement of women having authority in the church running rampant in the SBC, cloaked by a false calling and revelation of God."

This is not the first time Beth has claimed to had divine revelation from outside of Scripture.
Yeah, Moore's revelations are one issue. The other issue (which Moore has imbibed) is the one that has, I think, a more likely ability to seep into the church. It seems a heaping amount of folks in evangelicalism and the SBC have swallowed, hook, line, and sinker, the new framework of Intersectionality. The hierarchies derived from Scripture are filtered through an intersectional lens and suddenly people are 'waking up' (getting woke) to the fact that complementarianism or other hierarchical descriptions found in the Scriptures, are now, or always have been, hierarchical systems of oppression.

I don't see the SBC succumbing to a Beth Moore-like 'revelations from God' epidemic, as much as I see them succumbing to an intersectional/critical theory worldview. Beth Moore just happens to also be one of the bigger names promoting it. Women preaching is just one of a number of issues that have cropped up with the SBC as of late.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Jester » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am
Jester wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am
A storm's a brewin' in the SBC about women preaching...

Beth Moore Challenges Theologian, Explains Why Women Should Preach in Church
The most troubling thing from Beth is she continues in the error she has been called out in before.
I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit - I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the sexism & misogyny that is rampant in segments of the SBC, cloaked by piety & bearing the stench of hypocrisy.
This is the common thread in health, wealth and prosperity teachers. "The Holy Spirit has revealed something specific to me outside of Scripture." What happens when she is challenged by someone who says, "I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit- I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the progressive movement of women having authority in the church running rampant in the SBC, cloaked by a false calling and revelation of God."

This is not the first time Beth has claimed to had divine revelation from outside of Scripture.
Yeah, Moore's revelations are one issue. The other issue (which Moore has imbibed) is the one that has, I think, a more likely ability to seep into the church. It seems a heaping amount of folks in evangelicalism and the SBC have swallowed, hook, line, and sinker, the new framework of Intersectionality. The hierarchies derived from Scripture are filtered through an intersectional lens and suddenly people are 'waking up' (getting woke) to the fact that complementarianism or other hierarchical descriptions found in the Scriptures, are now, or always have been, hierarchical systems of oppression.

I don't see the SBC succumbing to a Beth Moore-like 'revelations from God' epidemic, as much as I see them succumbing to an intersectional/critical theory worldview. Beth Moore just happens to also be one of the bigger names promoting it. Women preaching is just one of a number of issues that have cropped up with the SBC as of late.
They might not succumb to it but it sure is the heart of the issue. Are all the men who spoke out against Beth Moore opposing the Holy Spirit? She said herself she doesn't want to be the person in the spot light (yeah right), she is compelled by a divine power to do so. Disagree with Beth=Disagree with the Holy Spirit. Which makes it hard for leaders in the SBC because, agree with Beth=Disagree with Scripture.

If she wasn't trying to stand on extra-revelation she wouldn't have anything to stand on.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38856
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Del » Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am
tuttle wrote:In Southern Baptist news: LifeWay to Close All 170 Christian Stores

I've visited LifeWay stores before. It was like 10% good to decent stuff, 40% heretical and/or worthless stuff, and 50% Christianized kitschy crap. Gee, I wonder why they're closing? The only problem is that now people are going to have a hard time finding Testa-mints.
Family Christian closed 2 years ago. So now there will be no more chain bms.
I missed the chance to buy that Bibleman basketball set while I had the chance...

Image
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22356
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by FredS » Wed May 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Del wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am
tuttle wrote:In Southern Baptist news: LifeWay to Close All 170 Christian Stores

I've visited LifeWay stores before. It was like 10% good to decent stuff, 40% heretical and/or worthless stuff, and 50% Christianized kitschy crap. Gee, I wonder why they're closing? The only problem is that now people are going to have a hard time finding Testa-mints.
Family Christian closed 2 years ago. So now there will be no more chain bms.
I missed the chance to buy that Bibleman basketball set while I had the chance...

Image
Were you able to pick up one of the Jesus MMA shirts though?
Image

I've been to plenty of those Christian book stores in the corner of the outlet mall. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with slapping "Christian" on the label of motivational posters and Veggie Tale dvd's, but it sure makes us easy to make fun of. I think we're better off with a few shelves at Barnes & Nobel than we are with these Kohl's in disguise where white suburban women can buy kitschy crap without feeling the guilt of being a cog the American Consumer Machine. It perhaps makes ones faith wider, but not deeper.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Jester » Wed May 15, 2019 1:36 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:12 pm
Del wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am
tuttle wrote:In Southern Baptist news: LifeWay to Close All 170 Christian Stores

I've visited LifeWay stores before. It was like 10% good to decent stuff, 40% heretical and/or worthless stuff, and 50% Christianized kitschy crap. Gee, I wonder why they're closing? The only problem is that now people are going to have a hard time finding Testa-mints.
Family Christian closed 2 years ago. So now there will be no more chain bms.
I missed the chance to buy that Bibleman basketball set while I had the chance...

Image
Were you able to pick up one of the Jesus MMA shirts though?
Image

I've been to plenty of those Christian book stores in the corner of the outlet mall. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with slapping "Christian" on the label of motivational posters and Veggie Tale dvd's, but it sure makes us easy to make fun of. I think we're better off with a few shelves at Barnes & Nobel than we are with these Kohl's in disguise where white suburban women can buy kitschy crap without feeling the guilt of being a cog the American Consumer Machine. It perhaps makes ones faith wider, but not deeper.
When I was about 10 I was really into Pokemon. I bet some of the older crowd might remember the Jack Chick type rumors flying around condemning Pokemon for promoting evolution and dark magic. I'm not 100% sure what was being said but my mom bought into all of it. She bought me a trading card game from a Christian bookstore.
Image
I remember feeling bad because I didn't like it. You could tell it was a Pokemon or Magic knockoff. There was also the problem that I was the only kid in a 900 mile radius who owned the cards.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22356
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by FredS » Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:36 pm
When I was about 10 I was really into Pokemon. I bet some of the older crowd might remember the Jack Chick type rumors flying around condemning Pokemon for promoting evolution and dark magic. I'm not 100% sure what was being said but my mom bought into all of it. She bought me a trading card game from a Christian bookstore.
Image
I remember feeling bad because I didn't like it. You could tell it was a Pokemon or Magic knockoff. There was also the problem that I was the only kid in a 900 mile radius who owned the cards.
Don't be so harsh towards yer mom. I bet there was a whole bunch of kids down in Springfield you could have played Pokemon Redemption with. Probably still are.

For sure, Jesus is the overarching story of our lives but it's silly to try to shoe horn Him in to what sort of tee shirts or kids games we buy. We all understand that our Christianity shouldn't be compartmentalized, but if we intend to be a light on a hill, we can do it without resorting to Christianized versions of what we think may be corrupt things to begin with.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by DAN » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:08 am
In Southern Baptist news: LifeWay to Close All 170 Christian Stores

I've visited LifeWay stores before. It was like 10% good to decent stuff, 40% heretical and/or worthless stuff, and 50% Christianized kitschy crap. Gee, I wonder why they're closing? The only problem is that now people are going to have a hard time finding Testa-mints.
It's probably not because of the kitschy crap. People love that stuff. My bet--without having looked deeply into it--is incompetent, cronyism-driven management unable to keep up with online competition.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by DAN » Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm

tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am
I don't see the SBC succumbing to a Beth Moore-like 'revelations from God' epidemic...
You're more optimistic than I am. I have heard for years from one SBC preacher after another how God "told" them something through experience, circumstances, or--shockingly often!--via their feelings. Same guys--every one--would tell you, or it was in the church documents somewhere, that the Bible was their only authority. Then they'd turn around and claim some kind of Mormonistic burning in the bosom at Falls Creek was how they knew they were supposed to preach and we were supposed to listen.

No wonder so many of them wind up selling cars or life insurance.

At any rate, Beth Moore is hardly alone. She may be among the most notorious, but she ain't alone.

I'd have less trouble with her if her arguments were based on scripture, even poorly interpreted. It's one thing to be wrong--we're all wrong sometimes--it's another thing to delude yourself or others into believing your feelings are authoritative for faith and practice.

Just my two cents.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by DAN » Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 pm

tuttle wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:55 am
Jester wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:05 am
It would be interesting to see how many of these "different" Baptists hold to the same confessions.
My guess is that the majority of these 'divisions' are geographical. A lot of them are also descriptive, so much so that folks in the exact same Baptist church could apply different descriptors to different members. Someone could identify as a Reformed Baptist and another a Primitive Baptist and another a Sovereign Grace Baptist, (and maybe one person could claim all at the same time!) and all worship together for a lifetime without squabbles.

And a lot of these 'denominations' are associations or conventions, which are bottom up rather than top down organizations. Certain churches would find the idea of associating with similar minded bodies for things like supporting missionaries or education or whatever.

Not trying to say that there aren't divisions under the "Baptist" umbrella, there are, and some are very necessary, but the ginormous list does make it seem like there's much more division than there really is.
It's a lot like karate styles and organizations. How many Okinawan Goju-Ryu organizations are there? Many. And Japanese Goju-Ryu split off from Okinawan Goju, and USA Goju from Yamaguchi's Goju-kai. Yes, there are differences, but save for some of the odder Americanized variants, they are all recognizably Goju-Ryu. The splits were due more to politics, disputes over lineage, and money than to substantive differences in most cases. Methinks it is much the same with all these Baptists.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Fainn » Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am
Jester wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am
A storm's a brewin' in the SBC about women preaching...

Beth Moore Challenges Theologian, Explains Why Women Should Preach in Church
The most troubling thing from Beth is she continues in the error she has been called out in before.
I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit - I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the sexism & misogyny that is rampant in segments of the SBC, cloaked by piety & bearing the stench of hypocrisy.
This is the common thread in health, wealth and prosperity teachers. "The Holy Spirit has revealed something specific to me outside of Scripture." What happens when she is challenged by someone who says, "I am compelled to my bones by the Holy Spirit- I don’t want to be but I am -to draw attention to the progressive movement of women having authority in the church running rampant in the SBC, cloaked by a false calling and revelation of God."

This is not the first time Beth has claimed to had divine revelation from outside of Scripture.
Yeah, Moore's revelations are one issue. The other issue (which Moore has imbibed) is the one that has, I think, a more likely ability to seep into the church. It seems a heaping amount of folks in evangelicalism and the SBC have swallowed, hook, line, and sinker, the new framework of Intersectionality. The hierarchies derived from Scripture are filtered through an intersectional lens and suddenly people are 'waking up' (getting woke) to the fact that complementarianism or other hierarchical descriptions found in the Scriptures, are now, or always have been, hierarchical systems of oppression.

I don't see the SBC succumbing to a Beth Moore-like 'revelations from God' epidemic, as much as I see them succumbing to an intersectional/critical theory worldview. Beth Moore just happens to also be one of the bigger names promoting it. Women preaching is just one of a number of issues that have cropped up with the SBC as of late.
They might not succumb to it but it sure is the heart of the issue. Are all the men who spoke out against Beth Moore opposing the Holy Spirit? She said herself she doesn't want to be the person in the spot light (yeah right), she is compelled by a divine power to do so. Disagree with Beth=Disagree with the Holy Spirit. Which makes it hard for leaders in the SBC because, agree with Beth=Disagree with Scripture.

If she wasn't trying to stand on extra-revelation she wouldn't have anything to stand on.
My wife tried to get me to read Beth Moore. Within a week, I started suffering constant blasphmous thoughts and got the book out of my house. True story.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Fainn » Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm

DAN wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm
Then they'd turn around and claim some kind of Mormonistic burning in the bosom at Falls Creek was how they knew they were supposed to preach and we were supposed to listen.
And that's 90 percent of the blogs I've read recounting a call to ministry. They quote Jeremiah 20:9.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by Fainn » Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Side note: I did actually have a revelation from God that included Scripture.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13954
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: The Baptist Thread

Post by tuttle » Thu May 16, 2019 7:42 am

Fainn wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 pm
Side note: I did actually have a revelation from God that included Scripture.
I'm not sure what you mean by that
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Post Reply