Star Wars 9

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Star Wars 9

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am

Lots of details should be dropping today about the newest Star Wars episode. Apparently there's a live panel taking place (that I can't see...filters) that'll reveal some new stuff and a trailer.

The biggest info I've found so far...the title.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

(source)

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue, but I'm cool with the emphasis. Plus raises some once dead speculation about Rey's origins again.

I really hope Abrams can right the ship. I lost a load of faith after The Last Jedi. I'm hopeful he can do it.

Post here for anything relevant to Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

But please be mindful of spoilers! Speculation is fun, Spoilers are bad. When in doubt...do this:
► Show Spoiler
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Star Wars 9

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am

I'm seeing that the trailer has landed...ahh! can't watch it til after work!!!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:44 am

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Han shot first.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am
[…]

I really hope Abrams can right the ship. I lost a load of faith after The Last Jedi. I'm hopeful he can do it.

[…]
Apparently unlike you, I hope that they don't walk back from the ground laid in The Last Jedi.

If they don't — and I imagine that they won't — it seems to promise a great ending.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm
Han shot first.
You betcha.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 pm

wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm
+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
[…]

[…]
Apparently unlike you, I hope that they don't walk back from the ground laid in The Last Jedi.

If they don't — and I imagine that they won't — it seems to promise a great ending.
I don't hope they'll 'walk back' from the ground laid in The Last Jedi, mostly because I prize continuity in a series like this. The content that made up the story in TLJ was the least of my concerns, mostly because the story was a dud, as most stories gagged by an agenda are. So while I didn't like the direction they took with Luke and his eventual force-fading, I don't want this movie to somehow reverse that. I'd like for them to build off of the content (Luke will be a force ghost now and mentor Rey or whatever) and take it to a better level than the previous movie. When I mean 'right the ship' I mean setting the agenda aside and letting the story shine.

In fact, this movie might even have the ability to redeem the many missteps in TLJ in a way that'd make a fan of TLJ beam with confidence, telling his critical friends, 'See, they knew what they were doing the whole time!" Rey's origin dud, the sudden snuffing of Snoke, the outrageously inept First Order, Rose's bad influence on Finn, and more could find some sort of coherence with some new light shined from this side of the film.

Reports are saying this movie will not take place immediately after TLJ. Which is probably for the best because, what a hole to dig out of for the final film. So it's not even necessary for this film to redeem those missteps directly. A little time between then and now could be all the hand-waving needed to re-adjust the direction of the story.

The worst thing that could happen is if this film doubles down on the blatant agenda that drove the last film. Give us thrills, mystery, swashbuckling action, space fights, lightsabers, and even a smidgen of a satisfying happy ending and it'll be a hit. It's Star Wars...the formula is easy. Just do it and it's gold. It shouldn't be too hard to steer clear of more Purple Derns chiding male-centric herosim and Intersectional Rebels.

But I'm not looking for this film to fix the past (let the past die, kill it if you have to... heh) so much as allow us to ignore it. Really, this should be the easiest, most surefire SW film of all.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:32 pm

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 pm
wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm
tuttle wrote:
[…]

[…]

I don't hope they'll 'walk back' from the ground laid in The Last Jedi, mostly because I prize continuity in a series like this. The content that made up the story in TLJ was the least of my concerns, mostly because …

[…]
I've no idea — nor am I asking for a redux — of your beefs with TLJ. I remember you had some thread on it in which you expressed burgeoning disgruntlement, but it was disappeared before I got to read what I'm assuming was the full-flower of your discontent.

All I'm sayin' is that I hope that they change nothing relevant to your assumed disgruntlement, since I was gruntled — plenarily gruntled — with the object d'art.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 pm

@Tuttle: If you don't subscribe to Thor Skywalker on YouTube, you should.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Plenarily gruntled is going into my lexicon.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Planarian is cool (planaria are cool...).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip

Post by DAN » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:20 pm

I haven't given a tinker's damn about Star Wars in years. Haven't seen any of the current crop and I'll be a purple-bottomed baboon if I see this one, either.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Jocose wrote:
Han shot first.
That was a long time ago....
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm
You're working on a Wosbaldian Lexicon too?

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:34 pm

DAN wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:20 pm
I haven't given a tinker's damn about Star Wars in years. Haven't seen any of the current crop and I'll be a purple-bottomed baboon if I see this one, either.
I saw The Force Awakens, and the next day I could not remember the names of any of the new characters.

I could not think of a reason to care about what happens to any of them.

So I don't.

(I liked the idea of a midget running around in a ball -- until I found out that it really was just a robot.)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 pm
Jocose wrote:
Han shot first.
<insert sad trombone sound>
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Del wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 pm
Jocose wrote:
Han shot first.
<insert sad trombone sound>

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Remember Sideache? He does licensed art for Star Wars and he's at some sort of geekfest this week selling his wares and he posted about the trailer being presented there. Said the place went bonkers.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:16 pm
Remember Sideache? He does licensed art for Star Wars and he's at some sort of geekfest this week selling his wares and he posted about the trailer being presented there. Said the place went bonkers.
I miss Sideache.

He made one of the funniest posts to CPS ever once.