CPS Gifts

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community

Do you own anything that was given to you by another CPS'er? Secret Santa gifts excluded.

Yes
75%
No
4%
Jocose gave me herpes
8%
Morley gave me the finger
13%

Total votes: 24

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

CPS Gifts

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:55 am

Tell us about the cool stuff your brothers and sisters gave you.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Re: CPS Gifts

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:56 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:55 am
Does this include tobacco?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 am

Got about 40g of Raku from Sweetandsour, and several ounces of a couple different Gawith Hoggarth flakes from Goose - who I must credit with instigating my love of all things Gawith Hoggarth.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 am

More tobacco than I can remember, from samples to poundage. I have a couple of pipes, a lighter, 3 books (2 read and passed on to other members) and a movie on DVD...And all the TF gifts! The members here a giving bunch!
Last edited by Bloodhound on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:56 am
FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:55 am
Does this include tobacco?
Sure.

My point in starting this thread is to help explain to newbies that this place isn't exactly like other internet forums. People here actually know each other and act just as friends act in the real world. I've met around two dozen people here and have dozens of gifts from others.

I'm also sadly reminded of the current state of CPS by the 2019 Chicago Pipe Show thread. Only 4 or 5 guys have posted that they plan to attend. If it even happens this year, there will be more ex-CPS'ers at the pancake breakfast than active CPS'ers. And I haven't seen activity in the meet-up thread for months. We need to fix that.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:19 am

ID sent me some antique blend-your-own tobacco jars from the 50's. Still filled. Some were never opened. There was also an old pack of matches.

I have a Rusty pipe. I paid but at the price it was definitely a gift.

DL sent me one of my favorite pipes. It is a steampunk Drew Estate. He has also sent multiple tobaccos and candies. (M&Ms in a glass jar.... you know what I am talking about.)

I made a trade with AKpreacher, he sent more cigars than was agreed on. (The top 5 best cigars I have smoked all came from him.)

Goose sent me almost a whole tin of Nightcap.

Tuttle has been giving me gifts my whole life.

This doesn't include box pass items or Secret Santa. I hope I haven't left anyone out.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 am

DL gave me a tiny pipe that I love. I can’t remember who made it, but it was carved by a CPS member, which makes it even more special.

rgcurrey

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am

Well, Bloodhound was first and sent me a box of samples (still have a pipefull or two of two of them). Then Hovanes sent me a rather large we're talking multiple ounces of California Dreaming (an orange tobacco he had purchased). SweatandSour offered me a tin of my favorite Squadron Leader that he had when I had none. I was blessed to have something he was interested in and quickly sent him that but the offer was just to give me a tin of Squadron, I mean what a guy. And then there is DL who is the King Fairy, and I use that as a compliment, and has sent various samples and even a whole tin as a surprise and probably has sent out more tobacco and other various sundries then even he can remember.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

Oh shoot, I'll probably miss someone so forgive me. CPS has been intensely generous

Outside of box passes and Secret Santa...

FredS gave me a pipe after a Christmas meetup with Zed. He also gave me hockey tickets.

DL has given me and my family multiple gifts and somehow started a domino effect where we'll receive random postcards from people I don't even think are associated with CPS, sent to my daughter for encouragement.

The Gabriel & Mrs Gabriel family gifted us with their presence for an evening (along with a fine bottle o' port)

das gifted me a pipe or two, one of which I gave to Jester in an effort to win him over to the pipe. So don't blame me for Jester being here. Blame das.

Early on Monarchist gave me two HUGE, I'm talking gallon-like, bags of tobacco.

UB sent me some mead, along with some tobacco I think

Cliff sent me a print of an amazing Firefly scene he did

Jester gifted me one of Rusty's pipes

I've been gifted, I think three, POY's from anonymous gifters.

Members either anonymously or those I know, but won't out here, have donated financially to certain causes related to my daughter.

Outside of straight up gifts, you can also find some really good deals from people looking to sell, or folks here even offer stuff for free through contests or first come first serve

Sounds corny but the real life meetups themselves really have been some of the best gifts. That and honestly, at a few points over the last 10+ years I've been here, I've only let CPS in on some prayer needs, and that's because at those points CPS was really the only place I could ask for prayer. That's huge. Even people I get snarly with have prayed.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm

JB gave me a leather USMC coaster that I still use. JimVH treated me to some of the best BBQ in the world.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

rgcurrey

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm

tuttle wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am
Even people I get snarly with have prayed.
This is truly the difference. We get snappy with each other and sometimes just plain nasty. We're human and fallen. Yet when a prayer request goes up we get down on our knees regardless of any animosity lingering.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:44 pm

It seems the members here love to gift me pipe stands. JudgeRusty made me a pipe stand for SS a few years back and then another member sent me a Brebbia pipe stand the year after (it's here in Kenya with me). I still don't know who gave that one to me (own up to it!).

Those are the gifts I remember most, even though I got some tobacco and such from others that was enjoyable. I think Del sent me snuff like 8 years ago. I could be wrong on that one.

OH! This was SS but UB did gift me and my wife a braggot for our anniversary. What do I gotta do to get another bottle, UB?
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:05 pm

I was gifted a very nice FredS knife from J-B. Roadmaster gave me a brand new Case knife which I carry daily.

G sent me some music CD once.

Several different pipes and tobaccos and cigars from several diffent guys here.. what else...

One of the Stanley's here gave me some 100 yo black walnut and some mesquite...

Hmmm... I'm missing some stuff, I'm eating sushi as I type..

DL gifted me all kids of cool stuff..
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:26 pm

I will not list who gave me what because I know I will not be able to remember all of them. As well, i don't even remember what all I've been given (I've been here for 12 years, after all) but I know I have gotten some good stuff. I remember I have had one member give me a very nice pipe he made and I have had several members send tobacco for me to try or tins they no longer wanted. I have greatly appreciated the generosity of CPS members.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 pm

Del gave me a hard time about the Reformers. :lol:
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Good grief, I will surely miss someone. I've been the recipient of some much generosity...very much undeserved.

I think my first gift, I believe, was from Mr. and Mrs. JimVH WAAAAY BACK when my wife and I were in training with our organization. Very unexpectedly some money showed up at a VERY much needed hour and even a purse for my wife.

I've been gifted several pipes, a crapton of tobacco for more people than I can remember to list. And not just an old Yellowbole either...I'm talking some seriously nice pipes. AK sent me a wad of cigars not too long ago. Coco once sent me a box filled with all sorts of top quality leather goods he made himself. The coolest of which was definitely my ax holster. That box may have smelled better than boxes with tobacco in them.

Not only have we received many care packages from you guys, but they always seem to come at the very best of times. The most timely was the day my best Hewa friend committed suicide and we had flown out of the tribe. There are too many details that are very painful to drudge up, but once we arrived to the mission base that day there were three huge boxes waiting for us in our flat. Plenty of goodies for me and my wife, but best of all incredible gifts for my daughters...and that meant the world to me. For one, it helped them to forget what had just happened in Hewa for a little while as they were so excited to see all the costumes and things, and two, it gave my wife and I a chance to just put them in a room to play and allowed us to cry together.

Another very special gift was when Onyx came to visit me in Brisbane and encourage me during a very difficult time as my mom had come to visit in PNG and almost died.

Honestly guys, the list for me and my family goes on and on. I am so very grateful for all of you. I know I've left folks out on this list...please forgive me. You all have been such a blessing to me an my family.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Most recently I received a dozen very nice cigars from AKPreacher, and some tobacco from AdamZ at our meet-up. Steverino sent me a new Kaywoodie when my old Kaywoodie burned out.
I've received numerous tobacco's and gifts from too many people to remember, including some very nice tampers and items from PNG.
But most of all, I received and still do receive prayers from everyone here, and that's what I cherish most.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:52 pm

DL sent me some Englishes.
Durangopipe sent me some aged Presbyterian and some other tobaccos.
FredS sent me a bunch of cigars.
A bunch of members sent me the box pass when I was in the hospital the first time.
Jocose paid for the stripper when I got married.
Why does Hugodrax want to suppress the Jesuits?

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 pm

I, too, have received tobacco and pipe accessories from too many to list without fear of leaving someone out, wonderful Secret Santa packages, a hand-turned tamper and tins from JimVH, kind thoughts, PMs and prayers in rough moments and the amazing gift of a vintage Dunhill Apple from Hugodrax so I wouldn’t shed this mortal coil without ever having smoked a Dunhill.

(Thanks again, Hugo.)

Generosity and kindness from many.
This is no ordinary forum.
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:52 pm
DL sent me some Englishes.
Durangopipe sent me some aged Presbyterian and some other tobaccos.
FredS sent me a bunch of cigars.
A bunch of members sent me the box pass when I was in the hospital the first time.
Jocose paid for the stripper when I got married.
Only because FredS was passed out and the bouncer was getting antsy..
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP