CPS Gifts

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community

Do you own anything that was given to you by another CPS'er? Secret Santa gifts excluded.

Yes
75%
No
4%
Jocose gave me herpes
8%
Morley gave me the finger
13%

Total votes: 24

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: CPS Gifts

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm

I don't know where to begin. Pipes, tobacco, lopsided trades, knives, tampers, fishing rods, books, and so much more. Except for one dude who stole my yeti cup, I've been the recipient of inexplainable and undeserved generosity around here.

The stuff I've received is cool and appreciated, but the real gifts are the unquestioned prayers, texts, and phone calls of concern, and people randomly checking on you at key moments when it really makes a difference.

Edit: And candy corn. I shouldn't forget the candy corn.
Last edited by JimVH on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Countless prayers during the year when I was sick are the most treasured gift.
I have received tobacco, lopsided trades, tampers of course as that is my collecting binge, and the gift of fellowship with so many here.
The most fun gift was when Mr. and Mrs. Coco and the Coco Puffs came to visit for a few days. What a joy and fun that was!

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:07 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm
I don't know where to begin.

The stuff I've received is cool and appreciated, but the real gifts are the unquestioned prayers, texts and phone calls of concern, and people randomly checking on you at key moments when it really makes a difference.
This.

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

Your (CPS) prayers have been invaluable and I am truly thankful for all who have prayed for me and my kids.

Thank you.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Durango gave me a vise and fly tying tools.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 am
DL gave me a tiny pipe that I love. I can’t remember who made it, but it was carved by a CPS member, which makes it even more special.
I did? Maybe that's the one I can't find and it's driving me nuts now? I just don't remember sending it.

Is it an Army Mount? I hope so. I'll be able to finally get some sleep if it's an Army Mount.

I have lots o' coolness floating around Casa del DL.

Some coins from a few different folks. I dig coins.
Pipes o' plenty. I dig pipes.
Pipe Tampers from CPS missionaries. I dig those too.

Just waiting on my new shovel. Ya know. To dig. Ok then.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:27 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
DL gave me a tiny pipe that I love. I can’t remember who made it, but it was carved by a CPS member, which makes it even more special.
I did? Maybe that's the one I can't find and it's driving me nuts now? I just don't remember sending it.

Is it an Army Mount? I hope so. I'll be able to finally get some sleep if it's an Army Mount.

Bakky plates & bowls from CPS missionaries. Yep. Dig 'em.

DL Jake

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:41 am

DepartedLight wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

Nope, a little prince nosewarmer.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:41 am
DepartedLight wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

The search continues :wink: hope it turns up.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:14 am

Oh wow. I couldn't possibly list everything with names and everything. I've been part of CPS for 10 years and have been through several life changing events along the way. CPS has stood by my family and I through a lot. This why, no matter weird and awkward things get, or how many people move on, I stay here. It's part of our family.

Lets see...

Pipes, several pipes from several different CPSers - including a couple sponsored POY's.
Tobacco, lots of tobacco over 10 years
Two different CPSers sent fishing rods to my daughter
Christmas gifts to the whole family - candy, cards, books, etc
Financial gifts from several CPSers who swore me to secrecy when we were unemployed 6 years ago.
Jewelry and gifts from PNG
My first fishing flies came from FredS before I even had fly rod
Gift cards and support when Joshua was born and Mrs Gabriel nearly died of preeclampsia
Fly tying supplies
Pipes and tobacco for Mrs. Gabriel
I'm told there's gift on the way for my son from another CPSer
I'm not doubt forgetting things, but it's overwhelming.

I know this has been said and is kinda sappy or whatever, but the gifts of fellowship, support, camaraderie, prayer have been unexpected and invaluable. From conversations and shared tobacco and whiskey at the Chicago Show, to a night spent in Kansas City chasing my kids and Tuttle's kids around, to instant sincere offers of hospitality, to conversations on the forum on virtually every subject imaginable, this place and it's people have given my family and I more than I can possibly list.
Sola Deo Gloria

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 am

Great thread Fred.

I suggest that if you have been overly irritated with a CPS member in the past year, send them a gift. Disagreeing with someone in love is a lot easier if you are investing in them. If you don't plan on investing in a personal relationship with a member then please avoid confrontation.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 am
Great thread Fred.

I suggest that if you have been overly irritated with a CPS member in the past year, send them a gift. Disagreeing with someone in love is a lot easier if you are investing in them. If you don't plan on investing in a personal relationship with a member then please avoid confrontation.
What the heck is going on around here? Am I watching a bunch of Protestants congratulating each other on their works whilst absolving themselves of their transgressions? :mermaid:

I love you oddballs. That's why I'm here. I've received some pretty cool gifts, and I'm thankful for them, but that's not why I like any of you. I like you for your quirks. For the fact that we all bash on each other's dogmas and then pray for the poor benighted bastige's intentions anyway.

Please don't try to buy each other. Invest in each other's hearts by trying not to step over the lines and apologizing when you do.

Oh, best gift I ever got was hearing the phone ring with Bob's voice on the other end when I was all sorts of out of it in the hospital. Call each other and check in. It's pretty impossible to hate anyone when you recognize their voice when they check in on you.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:50 am

Jester wrote:
+ abillion

Del is a perfect example. Your bro and I both have a personal relationship with Del and his family. If not for that, we'd each search the guy out and punch him in the face for some of the things he posts here. As it is, we can simply shrug it off as a friend who we sometimes disagree with.
Bob, on the other hand. . . :chili:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am
Jester wrote:
Great thread Fred.

What the heck is going on around here? Am I watching a bunch of Protestants congratulating each other on their works whilst absolving themselves of their transgressions? :mermaid:

I love you oddballs. That's why I'm here. I've received some pretty cool gifts, and I'm thankful for them, but that's not why I like any of you. I like you for your quirks. For the fact that we all bash on each other's dogmas and then pray for the poor benighted bastige's intentions anyway.

Please don't try to buy each other. Invest in each other's hearts by trying not to step over the lines and apologizing when you do.

Oh, best gift I ever got was hearing the phone ring with Bob's voice on the other end when I was all sorts of out of it in the hospital. Call each other and check in. It's pretty impossible to hate anyone when you recognize their voice when they check in on you.
I think you missed my intentions. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy off another member.

[EDIT] Come to think of it, I wouldn't pay for any of you. :lol:
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Jester wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am
Jester wrote:
Great thread Fred.

I think you missed my intentions. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy off another member.

[EDIT] Come to think of it, I wouldn't pay for any of you. :lol:
No, I must have expressed myself badly I knew what you meant: be friendly, and if you can't be friendly, don't engage.

What this place has is a bunch of sinners with good intentions. Those good intentions mean all the difference in the world
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:11 pm

I got several wonderful gifts over the years here. I won’t mention names lest I forget one. I have given a few, but not enough. I have seen some stuff and thought about sending them as gifts. Does the thought count? :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Spent time with Del, Mrs. Del, Pipeson and Cigarson a few years back. Fun Times.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:45 pm

I've received a lot. Will never forget my first Christmas here. I got a bonus secret Santa gift just because ... I believe it was Joe most likely.

Last year Durango sent me gifts not once but twice because of border trouble.

This past year Ed sent me a gift too so I wouldn't be left out of the fun in the great White north.

So many gifts over the last few years.

But best of all are the many many many prayers you gave for us as we struggled with loss. And my prayer thread for children had bore become a testimony thread and we are just 3 weeks away from welcoming baby #2!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

Dude. Really? You could have said something like, “Oh yeah killer Army Mount. In fact it had The Marines hiding their faces in shame it was so cool.”

But, no.

I could have slept tonight, TNLP.

I hope you’re happy as I go into yet one more night wondering where my damn army mount Costello is.

Maybe the main contact for <Client name redacted> Tomorrow at 8am will be nice to me.

I doubt it.

I might get fired.

I HOPE YER <zederated> HAPPY, TNLP!
DL Jake

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:47 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

Dude. Really? You could have said something like, “Oh yeah killer Army Mount. In fact it had The Marines hiding their faces in shame it was so cool.”

But, no.

I hope you’re happy as I go into yet one more night wondering where my damn army mount Costello is.

Maybe the main contact for <Client name redacted> Tomorrow at 8am will be nice to me.

I doubt it.

I might get fired.

Now that's a DL post. :thumbsup:
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:19 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

But, no.

I doubt it.

I might get fired.

In the words of every parent who has misattributed this quote to George Washington in order to manipulate their children into honesty, “I cannot tell a lie.”