NFL 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

NFL 2019

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Sadly I won't be partaking in the NFL anymore. My Chiefs, who I have followed since the 1968 season (50 years!), have frustrated me for the last time. What makes this very frustrating is that after getting a once in a long time quarterback Mahomes, they have had a series of questionable character players either drafted or traded for in the past couple of years. The latest Hill debacle and Seattle trade have worn me out as a fan.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Re: NFL 2019

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:48 pm

I quit caring about the NFL a few years ago. I’m getting into baseball a bit now.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Living in the shadow of A&M I'll be focusing on Aggie sports.
hugodrax wrote:

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:33 pm
Sadly I won't be partaking in the NFL anymore. My Chiefs, who I have followed since the 1968 season (50 years!), have frustrated me for the last time. What makes this very frustrating is that after getting a once in a long time quarterback Mahomes, they have had a series of questionable character players either drafted or traded for in the past couple of years. The latest Hill debacle and Seattle trade have worn me out as a fan.
I might agree with you if they keep Hill. That said, I can't put this on the Chiefs organization, but on the players. Who is more worthy of derision, the Chiefs for drafting Kareem Hunt, then cutting him when he kicked a chick, or the Browns for picking him up after being cut? The fact that Frank Clark had a spotty background, might not look good for current PR, but it seems he's taken his 'second chance' and did something with it, contra Hill who took his second chance and flushed it down the toilet.

I think the closeness in these events have compounded it into looking like something worse than it is, as if the Chiefs have a problem. But was anyone blaming the Chiefs when Jovan Belcher murdered his girlfriend and then killed himself in the Arrowhead parking lot?

I'm not denying that the Chiefs or more specifically, the NFL, have a problem in dealing with these things in the public eye, but I'm not sure what the Chiefs can do about it. You can say, don't draft a problem player, but they and others have drafted 'problem' players before who have turned things around. I just can't blame an organization for drafting a good football player who is an a-hole, especially if they do the right thing and cut the player if he continues to be an a-hole.

For sure, Hill is currently suspended rather than cut, but my guess is that the reason for the delay is 1) for legal stuff to proceed and 2) for the NFL to determine stuff. And as horrible as that tape is, and as much as I don't like the guy, I'm not sold that his girlfriend wasn't trying to throw him under the bus. He denied breaking the kids arm in the tape. If she was lying about stuff or bringing up half-truths, pushing him to admit something he didn't do, and he was pissed about it, then it would behoove the authorities to get to the bottom of that, which could cause a delay in action. I'm disturbed about the 'crucify him!' mob mentality that social media becomes two seconds after something nefarious crops up. Again, I'm not saying this in defense of Hill would have no issue with the Chiefs cutting him tomorrow, even if no charges get brought.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am

The Chiefs are starting to have an image problem. And make no mistake, the NFL is damaged and image matters now more than ever. The days of Al Davis and his 'Just win baby" philosophy are gone. Millennials, with their culture of virtue signaling, won't buy tickets on Sunday and ignore what happens the rest of the week. They don't mind judging people (men) by acts committed many years ago, and they sure as hell will hold current acts against them.

In other news, the Broncos drafted a kid from Lee's Summit. It's unfortunate that the guy had to spend a few years at Mizzou, but still, he made it to the league.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am

In other news, the Broncos drafted a kid from Lee's Summit. It's unfortunate that the guy had to spend a few years at Mizzou, but still, he made it to the league.
That is great news. It is unfortunate he has to play a few years at Denver :D
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am

That is great news. It is unfortunate he has to play a few years at Denver :D
hey now.

From my first impressions I had hoped Denver would have used the 10pick instead of trading it. They don't get high draft picks that often. I would have gone Haskins with it. Every pick between 10-20 was a missed opportunity for drafting back they could have had at 10. They swapped for value. Meh.... ok. But Steelers had 9-6 record which the Broncos didn't have. Broncos haven't been pitiful so completely as the last few years-- make the most of the top available picks.

That being said, they did what they do and have incrementally improved themselves and got the QB they thought they wanted. Can't blame them on that one.

With the difficult schedule and the incremental improvements-- they may end up about 8-8 (+/-1 to either side) and may be picking in the middle next year. They did pick character guys which I do approve of.

I hate to see these young kids have problems and no skills to deal with it and then having big money with low financial savvy (in some cases) can sometimes compound problems. I wonder if the NFL has enough counselors to do the young men right and not just the money and sport.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:20 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 am
GaryInVA wrote:
I might agree with you if they keep Hill. That said, I can't put this on the Chiefs organization, but on the players. Who is more worthy of derision, the Chiefs for drafting Kareem Hunt, then cutting him when he kicked a chick, or the Browns for picking him up after being cut? The fact that Frank Clark had a spotty background, might not look good for current PR, but it seems he's taken his 'second chance' and did something with it, contra Hill who took his second chance and flushed it down the toilet.

I think the closeness in these events have compounded it into looking like something worse than it is, as if the Chiefs have a problem. But was anyone blaming the Chiefs when Jovan Belcher murdered his girlfriend and then killed himself in the Arrowhead parking lot?

I'm not denying that the Chiefs or more specifically, the NFL, have a problem in dealing with these things in the public eye, but I'm not sure what the Chiefs can do about it. You can say, don't draft a problem player, but they and others have drafted 'problem' players before who have turned things around. I just can't blame an organization for drafting a good football player who is an a-hole, especially if they do the right thing and cut the player if he continues to be an a-hole.

For sure, Hill is currently suspended rather than cut, but my guess is that the reason for the delay is 1) for legal stuff to proceed and 2) for the NFL to determine stuff. And as horrible as that tape is, and as much as I don't like the guy, I'm not sold that his girlfriend wasn't trying to throw him under the bus. He denied breaking the kids arm in the tape. If she was lying about stuff or bringing up half-truths, pushing him to admit something he didn't do, and he was pissed about it, then it would behoove the authorities to get to the bottom of that, which could cause a delay in action. I'm disturbed about the 'crucify him!' mob mentality that social media becomes two seconds after something nefarious crops up. Again, I'm not saying this in defense of Hill would have no issue with the Chiefs cutting him tomorrow, even if no charges get brought.
Maybe I should have stated that the NFL in general has worn me out as a fan. But I was a fan mainly of the Chiefs and not the NFL in whole. Only games I wanted to watch were Chiefs games.
hugodrax wrote:

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:01 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:20 pm
tuttle wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 am
GaryInVA wrote:

Maybe I should have stated that the NFL in general has worn me out as a fan. But I was a fan mainly of the Chiefs and not the NFL in whole. Only games I wanted to watch were Chiefs games.
I hear you.

A couple years ago I almost ditched the NFL and actually missed a few games without caring for the first time in a while. Not because of the off the field stuff or the kneeling, as dumb as all that stuff is, but because it drove me nuts that the National Football League couldn't figure out what a catch was, or that every little minutia of play seemed to be replayed. It wasn't fun watching that. It's not perfect, but they have at least seemingly addressed the most grievous of some of the dumb rules. Now at least a catch is easier to understand.

I also hate the kickoff rules. I wish they'd go back to the old way. Kickoffs are boring, so much so that it's apparent they need to do something to address it, and the way that they change rules I have a feeling at some point they'll just do away with the kickoff and start everyone on the 20/25 or something stupid (since they already functionally do that anyway). That's the kind of stuff that will drive me away. If the game on the field starts dramatically changing, I'm out. I have an easier time not letting all the off field drama affect me. You're a better person than me. :lol:
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Oy vey. Get with the times you geezers. You're no longer the target audience for the NFL. It's moving on and you're stuck in the past. They'll use new tech because it's available and it's understood by the Madden generation. Many of the young men entering the league are hoods who grew up in fatherless homes and - if you want to be a fan - you just have to accept their recklessness.

The NBA embraced it long ago. I haven't watched a complete NBA game in 30 years.

MLB is being changed by the Hispanic players who show more emotion on the filed. They flip bats and wear gold chains. And the young fans love it.

The NHL has all but criminalized on ice fighting. Hockey moms let their kids play now because it's safer.

NASCAR is pretty much a spec series these days.

Indy Car is a snoozefest full of good looking, young, foreign go cart drivers. They don't care to have sprint car drivers move in to their series any more because those guys drive on dirt. Dirt track racing! How barbaric.

But hey, at least Tiger is taking golf back to it's roots.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe