The Changing Landscape of Craft Beer

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

The Changing Landscape of Craft Beer

Post by tuttle » Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 am

The craft beer 'industry' isn't so tiny anymore. Actually it hasn't been 'tiny' in a while. Of course compared to the sea-creatures like Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors they're just big fish in a little pond. But over the past few years some of those fish are starting to get pretty big.

Boulevard Brewery, in my neck o' the woods, was sold to Belgian company Duvel Moortgat some five years ago. Other craft breweries have been bought by big dogs or have merged

And in some interesting news yesterday the biggest craft brewery in America got bigger: The brewers of Sam Adams and Dogfish Head merge in $300 million deal

It was already becoming debatable if Sam Adams should be considered a craft beer brewery anymore and this merger seems to tip the scales away from that label even further.

And this trend seems only to be on the rise. Dave Burwick, the CEO of Boston Beer Company, will lead the merged company, said "We expect that we'll see more consolidation in the craft industry over time, and we'll be in the best position to take advantage of those changes."

Here are a couple of interesting articles examining the merger. Some see it as doom and gloom, other see it as a good thing. I'm not quite sure what to think about it yet.

RIP Craft Beer: Sam Adams’ Company Buys Dogfish Head Brewery

What the Boston Beer-Dogfish Head Merger Means for the Future of Craft Beer

Why the Sam Adams–Dogfish Deal Will Be a Win for Beer Lovers
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Re: The Changing Landscape of Craft Beer

Post by hugodrax » Fri May 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Craft beer is boosh-it, if you ask me.Real beer was produced for years upon years in this country by tons of local brewers. Stouts, Ales, Pils, Lagers, Bocks...you name it. They got put out of business by rice beers and marketing campaigns.

Now it's all IPA's and blueberry bocks put out by guys that look and dress like you, Tuttle, but have MBA's and family money backing them. They screw around and add a ton of sugar to their beer, often more than is contained in the equivalent amount of carbonated soda. And we buy it because of marketing, but for fifty bucks a case rather than 15.

Get you an old-fashioned beer-flavored beer and enjoy the company you're in. Harrumph.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Fri May 10, 2019 1:34 pm

I used to be tangentially involved in the beverage industry (I sold bottle molds). Anheuser-Busch was bought by InBev a few years ago in a huge market shake up. The profits from your red white and blue Bud go to the krauts.

We're seeing consolidation in the craft distilling business too. I did a big project for Angels Envy distilling and Bacardi bought them half way through the new distillery construction.

I guess it doesn't matter if your Ben and Jerry making ice cream in a shack of or the tuttle bros brewing beer in the basement - if your product is among the best in the market someone will eventually come along with an offer you can't refuse. It's the 'Merican way, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. There's always room for the little guy if he crafts something new and worthwhile.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm

I don't think Sam Adams buying Dogfish is necessarily a bad thing, but it is a different thing. In some ways it sort of hits a reset button for the little guys again, and that's not always a bad thing.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 10, 2019 3:14 pm

In other news, I'm in LS today and we went to Jacks Stack for lunch (the boss paid). It was nice to have a wide selection of Boulevard beers on tap. All I can buy in CO is their wheat beer (my fav) and Tank 7, which is - as typical with a lot of 'craft' beers - way over hopped for my taste. There's a small brewery near my house named Funkwerks that specializes in sour beers. Sour beer on purpose? Yuk.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Fri May 10, 2019 6:40 pm

So the awesome craft beer market is being eaten up as a valid business proposition and will be just like Walmart in 2 years or less?

Well. I DO feel better now.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 am

The hands down best beer I have ever tasted was home made, or I guess home brewed by my cousin. He's a veterinarian and lived on a small farm with his wife and three boys (all grown up now). They grew food in a garden, raised alpacas and hunted deer and small game. They even home schooled their boys. Discovery should have made one of those fake "reality" shows about them.

Anyway, he got into making beer. Since his is smart enough to be a veterinarian, he made really really good beer. He used to give me some every once in a while. It was in quart sized, bail top bottles (which I had to give back to him when I was done) and it was cloudy and had bits of stuff floating in the bottom of the bottle. He told me you weren't supposed to drink the last bit that had the stuff floating in it but I did anyway and it was the best part. Little pieces of grain I guess.

I have no idea what the alcohol level was but one bottle would give you a great buzz and two would probably put me (and I'm a giant) close to the legal limit for a DWI, so I only drank it every once in a while and usually only one bottle.

Like I said it was delicious beer. It was a tan cloudy color and almost thick, not much carbonation really and had a malty bready taste to it that I loved. The problem was that he also loved it. He loved it so much that he started drinking it every night and probably more than one or two bottles. Eventually his wife made him quit making it. I miss that beer and mourn the loss. Since I am not smart and not crafty, I have never tried to make my own. Probably that is a good thing, but I still miss that delicious beer. I would drink it even if had no alcohol in it.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon May 13, 2019 9:15 am

Here's an interview with the founders about the merger: https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/ ... -interview