A watch...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

A watch...

Post by JMG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 am

Saw a watch online that I really liked today. It was a fairly plain looking watch so decided to see what cost....only a mere $1,750-$2,220, 8O
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Re: A watch...

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 am

A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold” (Proverbs 22:1).

And you have a very good name.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 am
A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold” (Proverbs 22:1).

He’s got three first names. I think he should spend that money on a proper last name. :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 am

He’s got three first names. I think he should spend that money on a proper last name. :D
I'm a Jr. if that helps...?

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:01 pm

JMG Jr....say that 3 times fast
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Years ago my wife and I were in Las Vegas and we were walking through one of the giant hotels and there was a watch shop...I wanted to stop and look and I saw a Breitling SuperOcean that I really liked. My wife not knowing what a Breitling was, said "We should get that, it will be your early birthday present" I said "no" but she insisted that the clerk take it out of the case...that is when she saw the price tag...$32,000

I have a Casio that kind of looks like a Breitling SuperOcean that I wear almost every day.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm
Years ago my wife and I were in Las Vegas and we were walking through one of the giant hotels and there was a watch shop...I wanted to stop and look and I saw a Breitling SuperOcean that I really liked. My wife not knowing what a Breitling was, said "We should get that, it will be your early birthday present" I said "no" but she insisted that the clerk take it out of the case...that is when she saw the price tag...$32,000

I have a Casio that kind of looks like a Breitling SuperOcean that I wear almost every day.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:26 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
What Jocose wrote.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Bloodhound wrote:

Good grief! I tell ya...I honestly had no idea things like a watch could cost so much. I paid 80 bucks for an old Vostok mechanical watch once and was only able to justify that by telling myself that it would probably last me nearly a lifetime. Then again, my 30 dollar sports watch has been going strong with no signs of giving up the ghost for about 8 years now. 32K? Geeze Louise! Even if I lived 60 more years that'd be more than 500 bucks a year....for a watch!

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:20 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

Good grief! I tell ya...I honestly had no idea things like a watch could cost so much. I paid 80 bucks for an old Vostok mechanical watch once and was only able to justify that by telling myself that it would probably last me nearly a lifetime. Then again, my 30 dollar sports watch has been going strong with no signs of giving up the ghost for about 8 years now. 32K? Geeze Louise! Even if I lived 60 more years that'd be more than 500 bucks a year....for a watch!
You need to add in the watchmakers fees.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm

I've got some nice watches, a Tag Heuer and a Hamilton Railroad Pocket Watch. I've got a decent watch, a Seiko but the the watch I always wear is a G Shock. It keeps better time than all the rest plus it is macho.

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 am

I buy a new shiny watch at Wal-Mart, when the old watch stops working. Last time, I had to pay more than usual, $8.00

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm
I've got some nice watches, a Tag Heuer and a Hamilton Railroad Pocket Watch. I've got a decent watch, a Seiko but the the watch I always wear is a G Shock. It keeps better time than all the rest plus it is macho.
guessing the Hamilton is either a 992 or 992b
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am
Stanley76 wrote:
I'm not sure what it is. My Mom and Sister bought it for me years ago to go with the watchchain that I inherited from my Grandpa.

Here's the Railroad watch.

Here's the Tag Heuer. It's a Formula One but it has a mechanical movement instead of a quartz movement. It's a nice watch but I rarely wear it. It usually stays in an automatic watch winder case.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
I'm not sure what it is. My Mom and Sister bought it for me years ago to go with the watchchain that I inherited from my Grandpa.

Here's the Tag Heuer. It's a Formula One but it has a mechanical movement instead of a quartz movement. It's a nice watch but I rarely wear it. It usually stays in an automatic watch winder case.
Beauties for sure...that Hamilton is stunning!
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:17 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

If you've ever had the back cover off it tells the model number. Definitely a railroad watch even has a Montgomery dial which was encouraged but not required

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

If you've ever had the back cover off it tells the model number. Definitely a railroad watch even has a Montgomery dial which was encouraged but not required
I got curious and took the back off it is a 992. Cool! Thanks.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:15 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

I got curious and took the back off it is a 992. Cool! Thanks.

RM shoots and scores!

Nice watches, Stan.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 pm

RM got me curious so I looked up the SN and it was made in 1927. That's right about the time my Grandpa would have bought that watch chain. That is really cool to me. The watch chain is the only heirloom I have that was my Grandpa's except for his pipe humidor and an address book he had when he was in the Army in 1903. The watch is precious to me because it was a gift from my Mom and Sister. The watch is valued at over 800.00 which means nothing compared to the sentimental value it has to me. Thanks to all for spurring me to look into it. I appreciate it.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/ ... on/2485441

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 pm
RM got me curious so I looked up the SN and it was made in 1927. That's right about the time my Grandpa would have bought that watch chain. That is really cool to me. The watch chain is the only heirloom I have that was my Grandpa's except for his pipe humidor and an address book he had when he was in the Army in 1903. The watch is precious to me because it was a gift from my Mom and Sister. The watch is valued at over 800.00 which means nothing compared to the sentimental value it has to me. Thanks to all for spurring me to look into it. I appreciate it.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/ ... on/2485441
What a cherished possession. Congratulations.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard