Bird Hunting 2019 - 2020

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Bird Hunting 2019 - 2020

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 pm

My first hunts of the new season were with my grandson, for early-season teal. It was delayed a bit by Tropical Storm Imelda until this weekend, which is the last before the season closes tomorrow.

Almost a 2-man limit in this pic from this morning. Note the Frog Morton Cellar in the pack.

We were on our way to a limit early. The pup is looking at a small alligator, by the way, that positioned itself out in front of the blind. It kept it's distance when the shooting started though.

Looks like a nice sunrise, but this view is actually looking west.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

arank87
Elder
Elder

Re: Bird Hunting 2019 - 2020

Post by arank87 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Sounds like a good start! Haven’t got a bird yet this season. I’m gonna blame the hot weather. We don’t have alligators to contend with up here either. That would seriously freak me out.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:27 pm

This was the afternoon before the hunt, coming out of the marsh after setting out decoys. Sure beats walking.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Looks like you’re having a good time S&S.

I got out for doves on the opener with son one and a bunch of friends. I hunted on the shores of the Colorado River on the Arizona side. I couldn’t shoot at most of the birds I saw because they followed the river so closely. Not that it mattered because there were still plenty I could shoot at and recover. We shot our fill of birds, and several were White Wing doves.

I haven’t been out since, probably won’t be going for birds until after the deer season ends in November.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:08 pm

The yearly burning yearning has returned. I'll be going soon, in about a week, for a little retarded pen bird action. Bringing the .410 to stop me shooting and a desire to watch dogs dog. I've often thought that if my wife's culture is right, I hope to live well enough to come back as a bird dog on a quail plantation.

Speaking of which, going to Quail Creek in March and looking forward to that. Invitations to do some duck hunting I'm planning on accepting now that health and strength seem to be returning.

It's been a rough week. I discovered the writings of Guy de la Valdene and Jim Harrison on one sleepless night and woke up birdy as all get out.

Bit the bullet and decided to carry through doing something I havent done since I was a small child. I bought a game journal. My father used to make me chronicle what I shot, where I shot it, what gun I used, a tally of shells expended, and whether the animal/bird was recovered. Shells were rationed. Clean kills were rewarded. Lost game was punished.

I thought it was time to do it again. Not many kills left in me, and I'd like a record of days and weather and friends both for when I have to hang it up and for some grandchild to find someday.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:52 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:08 pm
The yearly burning yearning has returned. I'll be going soon, in about a week, for a little retarded pen bird action. Bringing the .410 to stop me shooting and a desire to watch dogs dog. I've often thought that if my wife's culture is right, I hope to live well enough to come back as a bird dog on a quail plantation.

Speaking of which, going to Quail Creek in March and looking forward to that. Invitations to do some duck hunting I'm planning on accepting now that health and strength seem to be returning.

It's been a rough week. I discovered the writings of Guy de la Valdene and Jim Harrison on one sleepless night and woke up birdy as all get out.

Bit the bullet and decided to carry through doing something I havent done since I was a small child. I bought a game journal. My father used to make me chronicle what I shot, where I shot it, what gun I used, a tally of shells expended, and whether the animal/bird was recovered. Shells were rationed. Clean kills were rewarded. Lost game was punished.

I thought it was time to do it again. Not many kills left in me, and I'd like a record of days and weather and friends both for when I have to hang it up and for some grandchild to find someday.
Sounds good, and best wishes for your upcoming trips. I keep a very loose journal, if allowed to call it that. There's bits and pieces scattered all over the place for some future conglomeration. As far as lost game, I've always tended to beat my own self up, so much so that Dad and others only tried to console me.
With regard to Guy de la ... I've never read a word of his stuff for some reason.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:52 am
hugodrax wrote:

Sounds good, and best wishes for your upcoming trips. I keep a very loose journal, if allowed to call it that. There's bits and pieces scattered all over the place for some future conglomeration. As far as lost game, I've always tended to beat my own self up, so much so that Dad and others only tried to console me.
With regard to Guy de la ... I've never read a word of his stuff for some reason.
I’ve enjoyed Valdene. Harrison is without equal. Both do get the bird juices flowing.

Enjoy your hunts, Hugo. And yes, watching the dogs is the best part. Sadly, still not yet quite up to working my setter on a rough hunt - which inspires no small amount of sadness and guilt this time of year (which I hope to assuage with lots of attention and love); however, I am shooting a box or two of shells each week on clay birds with hunting buddies which I hope to continue to do for quite a while yet. And my pup gets lots of admiration and attention at the range.

Keep posting details of your hunts here.
There’s a lot to be said for vicarious atonement. :pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:52 am
hugodrax wrote:

I’ve enjoyed Valdene. Harrison is without equal. Both do get the bird juices flowing.

Enjoy your hunts, Hugo. And yes, watching the dogs is the best part. Sadly, still not yet quite up to working my setter on a rough hunt - which inspires no small amount of sadness and guilt this time of year (which I hope to assuage with lots of attention and love); however, I am shooting a box or two of shells each week on clay birds with hunting buddies which I hope to continue to do for quite a while yet. And my pup gets lots of admiration and attention at the range.

Keep posting details of your hunts here.
There’s a lot to be said for vicarious atonement. :pipe3:
Vicarious atonement. I like that phrase and will use it.

Harrison so far has been without peer. Have you ever read A.J. Liebling's book Between Meals? He'd have liked Harrison, I think. There's something to be said for something or someone that possesses both an extraordinary appetite for life and the unparalleled ability to Express that exuberance. One is left horrified and humbled by the honesty all at the same time. I think a good confessor must feel the same when hearing a heart'wrending confession. There is a bravery there that's astounding to a moral coward like me.

De la Valdene is interesting for a different reason. A French count, his father was a pilot in both of the great wars of the last century, and, as a liaison officer, became probably the only colonel attached to the American navy. Because of this, he moved to the United States in his teens and became a life long resident of Florida, and has a ranch there dedicated to the preservation of hunting and fishing. His prejudices shine through, such as the laughable line that theres no fight in a trout, but as I get older prejudices become less offensive because I recognize my own. His line about learning to forgive one's dogs mirrors my own progression and strangely touched me.

For years, I had a difficult time with Jim Fergus because I viewed him as a freeloader who often bit the hand that was feeding him (and he didnt like Western Pennsylvania, to show my own defiant prejudices). Then I realized I was the asshole attorney paying for his hunts and then bitching about them and there's no way I'm taking a stranger to the few places I can still find grouse so now i read his works with pleasure. After all, who can claim to be interesting who has not developed dislikes?

As you say, vicarious atonement. I'm old and fat and encumbered by career and family...these are encumbrances I will not trade and so most of my hunts are stolen pleasures. I admire men like these authors, yourself, and sweetandsour that managed to turn what to me is a pipe dream, if not an incongruity, into integral parts of their yearly existences. I'm aware I'm just playing.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am

I was out this weekend in search of Blue Grouse. Search being the primary word in that sentence. I found 2 BIG mature Bull Moose one on Saturday and one on Sunday, and a beautiful 5x5 Mule Deer Buck. My wife got a pic of the Bull on Saturday, she is a budding photographer, but I was alone on Sunday and my camera had dead batteries and my cell phone charger cord had a short so the cell was dead too, no pics.

I will get the pic from Saturday up in the next day or so.

Back to the Grouse hunting...no shots were fired no birds injured as a matter of fact no grouse were seen. The area I have hunted for 15+ years has been clear cut logged in places this summer and the area below/lower in elevation has been logged and they are expanding the 20+ mile 2 track into a major roadway for the logging...this effectively blocked the game routes of travel...no grouse, no deer, no elk. I was very sad to see this area altered like this.

We have such problems with wild fires and beetle kill, it is a shame that the folks in charge are allowing the remaining healthy forest in the area to be altered like this. Looks like I will be looking for a new favorite Grouse hunting area...good excuse to go exploring. I am going to try to get out in 2 weekends and try one of my other areas. Its a lot further from home and from the cabin, but I checked this morning and there are none of the logging issues going on up there.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 am

Well we had some cold/snow and I am thinking that may move some of the Blue Grouse...so I am going to give it one more try this weekend and see if I can find some birds
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:59 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 am
Well we had some cold/snow and I am thinking that may move some of the Blue Grouse...so I am going to give it one more try this weekend and see if I can find some birds
Best of luck, Scott. Hope to see some pics.

Quail season opens here tomorrow, but it's raining all day today, and I've a funeral to attend tomorrow afternoon, (my Dad's cousin).

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:01 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 am
I wish you many birds; but more, a safe hunt and much fun!
This snow missed us, but we might get some Monday.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 am

Geese are getting thick in the cut cornfields 'round here.

No snow here either but Longs Peak and Twin Sisters are covered and glowing in the sun this morning. Might get some Sunday.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:43 am

Geese a plenty in Southern, MN. Not sure when/if I'll get out again though. The little ones keep me out of the field and off the stream but they are a blessing too....I mean that's what people keep telling me :pipe2:
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:38 pm

This was my last duck hunt, it was about a month ago. Going for deer tomorrow morning then another duck hunt Sunday morning.Image
The ring neck and mature wood duck are mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Quail hunted all day yesterday, had several points but no birds. Deer season opened today and a couple hunters planned to be in our area so we didn't hunt. My knees are sore anyway. And Lizzy got into some bad sandburs. She's been working on one in a back paw all evening, even after I got it out. I guess I wasn't good enough of a paw doctor.

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:24 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Quail hunted all day yesterday, had several points but no birds. Deer season opened today and a couple hunters planned to be in our area so we didn't hunt. My knees are sore anyway. And Lizzy got into some bad sandburs. She's been working on one in a back paw all evening, even after I got it out. I guess I wasn't good enough of a paw doctor.

Poor girl.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:43 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:24 am
sweetandsour wrote:

Poor girl.
Yep, although it's what she lives for, another reason I didn't get her back out was the abundance of sandburs where we were.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 am

I well, and fondly, remember “repairing” my pups after a few days of rough hunting in the panhandle east of Post, north of Rotan.

Remember, as well, scenes much like your video, Tim.

Love all your posts, but most especially anything with Lizzie in then. I’m actually “typing” on my iPad with one hand resting on Iggy’s back.

What is it about setters that makes them tug so hard on our heartstrings?

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:39 pm

sweetandsour wrote:

Ever try booties for dogs? I would guess you have. I have some thick rubber ones that get taped on with Gorilla tape. Out here in the desert they’re a huge benefit to the dogs feet. It’s like everything out here is designed to cut, poke, sting and attach to anything that moves and gun dogs sure move a lot.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda