Bird Hunting 2019 - 2020

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Re: Bird Hunting 2019 - 2020

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:39 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Quail hunted all day yesterday, had several points but no birds. Deer season opened today and a couple hunters planned to be in our area so we didn't hunt. My knees are sore anyway. And Lizzy got into some bad sandburs. She's been working on one in a back paw all evening, even after I got it out. I guess I wasn't good enough of a paw doctor.

Ever try booties for dogs? I would guess you have. I have some thick rubber ones that get taped on with Gorilla tape. Out here in the desert they’re a huge benefit to the dogs feet. It’s like everything out here is designed to cut, poke, sting and attach to anything that moves and gun dogs sure move a lot.
Gosh yes. I gave up on any store bought brands years ago, and make dog boots out of tire tubes, along with vet wrap and duct tape. But invariably at some point they'll throw a shoe, especially when the ground is cold and wet. And sandburs are the worst. And even more worst for long hair dogs like setters and brittanies. I keep a small pair of shears on me for use in the field, in case burs accumulate under her legs; in her "armpits", if you will. The burs are much worse now, before we get a freeze or two, but I take her anyway and do the best we can.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Another birdless outing yesterday. Oh well. I’d smoke a pipe but I’m sick.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:29 am

Spent a few hours out with my youngest yesterday. Beautiful day, but no birds. Harvest traffic is still pretty high. Been a weird year for farming.

Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am

Went with my grandson this morning, and it was cold, and very slow. Got one shoveler, the only shot we had. The pup stayed tuned in though, and would stare at my grandson. If he just touched one of his calls, she would dash to where she could see, and look for ducks. Here's a very short clip, I thought y'all may get a kick out of.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:38 am

Other than doves, I haven’t been bird hunting yet this year. It’s deer season. I got a late start and only got out the last four days for my deer tag. I came across two buck who didn’t provide me a shot, but now my oldest son has an either sex tag for the same area. We’re off this weekend to see if we can get him on one. I’m giving him the option to take the first deer he gets a shot at or wait for a buck. The rut had begun, I’m encouraging the wait for antlers this weekend. Wish us luck!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am
Went with my grandson this morning, and it was cold, and very slow. Got one shoveler, the only shot we had. The pup stayed tuned in though, and would stare at my grandson. If he just touched one of his calls, she would dash to where she could see, and look for ducks. Here's a very short clip, I thought y'all may get a kick out of.

That is great...This is her first rodeo! Thanks
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:20 am

Son1 hunted deer for 45 minutes, not including the three mile hike in before sunrise this season and scored Saturday morning. I tried to encourage him to wait for a mature buck, but he knows how hard it is for him to get time off to go hunting with Dad. He had an either-sex tag and this one stood broadside for him. I just know the two nice bucks I found the weekend earlier were watching.

I will say that all that “sleigh training” for CrossFit he’s been doing was helpful though. I suggested we quarter it out right there then go get the pack frame and pack it out. We were three miles from the truck. His reply was, “No, I’ll drag it, I’m hungry and I want to get back to camp to make breakfast. I kid you not, he dragged it the entire way then sprinted the last hundred meters or so with it. He’s nuts! :lol:

Anyway we had venison back strap for dinner last night. It was a tender young doe.

That road is gated off by the Forest service or else I would have driven up there to get it.

Last edited by Thunktank on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:22 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:20 am
Son1 hunted deer for 45 minutes, not including the three mile hike in before sunrise this season and scored Saturday morning. I tried to encourage him to wait for a mature buck, but he knows how hard it is for him to get time off to hunting with Dad. He had an either-sex tag and this one stood broadside for him. I just know the two nice buck I found the weekend earlier were watching.

I will say that all that “sleigh training” for CrossFit he’s been doing was helpful though. I suggested we quarter it out right there go get the pack frame and pack it out. We were three miles from the truck. His reply was, “No, I’ll drag it, I’m hungry and I want to get back to camp to make breakfast. I kid you not, he dragged it the entire way then sprinted the last hundred meters or so with it. He’s nuts! :lol:

Anyway we had venison back strap for dinner last night. It was tender young doe.

That road is gated off by the Forest service or else I would have drive up there to get it.

Fine young man. As a landowner, deer removal is a priority. I thoroughly support his decision!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Son1 hunted deer for 45 minutes, not including the three mile hike in before sunrise this season and scored Saturday morning. I tried to encourage him to wait for a mature buck, but he knows how hard it is for him to get time off to go hunting with Dad. He had an either-sex tag and this one stood broadside for him. I just know the two nice bucks I found the weekend earlier were watching.

I will say that all that “sleigh training” for CrossFit he’s been doing was helpful though. I suggested we quarter it out right there then go get the pack frame and pack it out. We were three miles from the truck. His reply was, “No, I’ll drag it, I’m hungry and I want to get back to camp to make breakfast. I kid you not, he dragged it the entire way then sprinted the last hundred meters or so with it. He’s nuts! :lol:

Anyway we had venison back strap for dinner last night. It was a tender young doe.

That road is gated off by the Forest service or else I would have driven up there to get it.

That's great, man. Congrats on all counts, and kudos to your son especially.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:24 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 pm
Thunktank wrote:

That's great, man. Congrats on all counts, and kudos to your son especially.
+1
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 am

Waterfowl was a bust year here in Manitoba, I think I got out more than I ever had, but not a lot of birds this year for me or others on another forum.
I don’t go for upland unless it’s to scout areas for deer. But I saw that the regulations changed so my daughter could hunt birds next year, probably too small for a shotgun, so we’ll go for Grouse with a .22LR.

I did get this guy last Sunday.Image
Bigger bucks out there, but it was time to end a full season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Had a good hunt last Sat, ended up with 8 teal (although there's just 7 in this pic).

I can't seem to get this video turned right side up.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Sledin wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 am
Waterfowl was a bust year here in Manitoba, I think I got out more than I ever had, but not a lot of birds this year for me or others on another forum.
I don’t go for upland unless it’s to scout areas for deer. But I saw that the regulations changed so my daughter could hunt birds next year, probably too small for a shotgun, so we’ll go for Grouse with a .22LR.

Very nice deer!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:31 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 pm
Sledin wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 am

Very nice deer!
Indeed.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 pm
Had a good hunt last Sat, ended up with 8 teal (although there's just 7 in this pic).

I can't seem to get this video turned right side up.

:joy:

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:17 am

Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 pm

I haven't had the chance to start my shooting clays education yet and now with a wrenched back, it'll be a while longer. In the meantime I like watching these videos. Those Brits know how to live. Wish I was rich.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 pm

Enjoy your video posts a lot, Stanley ...

But in all honesty, I’d far rather be on a rough hunt with my dog(s).
And you don’t have to be wealthy to do that.

The driven shoot is just that. A shoot.
It’s not a hunt.

I was invited to a “tower shoot” once, years back. It’s a poor simulation of a driven shoot, but a simulation nonetheless. It was sponsored by a big national side-by-side gun organization. Lots of beautiful guns. Lots of great guys and a few great ladies. Many hammer guns and shooters dressed in period outfits. (My CZ was the most humble SXS there, by far.)

Good retrieving dogs fetched up the downed birds (maybe the best part). Most of the participants dressed in plus fours, waistcoats and jackets, dress shirts and ties, lots of tweed and sporting caps ... a fancy feed mid day.

(I faked the clothes with a tweed fishing cap, some old climbing knickers I still had and a green wool Filson vest. Oh, and a checked dress shirt with an orange and blue striped Wheaton school tie. Rah rah.)

I shot more pheasants in a day than I used to typically shoot over the course of a season.
It was fun.

But the best part of it, for me, was when I and another, with our pointing dogs, were invited to hunt up some of the birds that had escaped - in the evening after everyone else had gone home.

If you hook up with some hunters who have bird dogs, maybe find yourself able to make a road trip with them to somewhere in the Midwest where there are still lots of wild bobwhites and pheasants (I’d suggest the West for a few more wild species, but that’d be a helluva haul from the Carolinas), share gas, stay in cheap motels, maybe cook in the room and eat a sandwich or two in the field - you probably won’t feel a bit deprived by lack of wealth.

And you’ll be hunting.
Not just shooting.

The average Brit hunter would give his left nut (maybe both of them) to have what the working class guy still has here.

By the way. I’ve been out of touch for a while. I was surprised to see the degree to which the over-under has replaced the side-by-side in Britain.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:12 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 pm

It’s not a hunt.

I was invited to a “tower shoot” once, years back. It’s a poor simulation of a driven shoot, but a simulation nonetheless. It was sponsored by a big national side-by-side gun organization. Lots of beautiful guns. Lots of great guys and a few great ladies. Many hammer guns and shooters dressed in period outfits. (My CZ was the most humble SXS there, by far.)

Good retrieving dogs fetched up the downed birds (maybe the best part). Most of the participants dressed in plus fours, waistcoats and jackets, dress shirts and ties, lots of tweed and sporting caps ... a fancy feed mid day.

(I faked the clothes with a tweed fishing cap, some old climbing knickers I still had and a green wool Filson vest. Oh, and a checked dress shirt with an orange and blue striped Wheaton school tie. Rah rah.)

I shot more pheasants in a day than I used to typically shoot over the course of a season.
It was fun.

But the best part of it, for me, was when I and another, with our pointing dogs, were invited to hunt up some of the birds that had escaped - in the evening after everyone else had gone home.

If you hook up with some hunters who have bird dogs, maybe find yourself able to make a road trip with them to somewhere in the Midwest where there are still lots of wild bobwhites and pheasants (I’d suggest the West for a few more wild species, but that’d be a helluva haul from the Carolinas), share gas, stay in cheap motels, maybe cook in the room and eat a sandwich or two in the field - you probably won’t feel a bit deprived by lack of wealth.

And you’ll be hunting.
Not just shooting.

The average Brit hunter would give his left nut (maybe both of them) to have what the working class guy still has here.

By the way. I’ve been out of touch for a while. I was surprised to see the degree to which the over-under has replaced the side-by-side in Britain.
I agree that watching the dogs work would be the best part. I've never owned a true working dog but I have owned several labs in my past. In high school, one of my best friends was a guy who owned an awesome lab. His name was Cinder and my buddy worked with him every afternoon after school. He took me to his family's hunting cabin on Kittwan Creek in Va. goose hunting once. Cinder was in his element. He was AKC, descended from some really good dogs but my buddy (Billy) got him as a gift from a breeder because the dog had a huge calcium growth on his lower jaw. Didn't slow Cinder down though. One thing I learned about dogs from Billy was that you have to work with them every day.

My Dad was a bird hunter before I came along. He had a pointer and I think her name was Sally. He got her after somebody flea dipped a whole litter in pure dip, not diluted and burned all the skin off them. All the pups died except Sally. He gave her to my Dad (this was just after he got home from WWII) and Dad bathed her in cream every day and she survived and became a great dog. That's the dog that he would take and go driving in the country. They'd see a likely looking field, pull over, get out and hunt it. You could do that back then. Eventually my Dad married my Mom, Sally died and us kids came along so he didn't hunt as much and never had another bird dog.

My sister's brother-in-law (Barry) lives across the Pamlico River from me. He was Mr. bird hunter in the eighties. Smoked a pipe too. My sister's husband (he died in '89) was the deer hunter of the family (he ran dogs). He always said Barry was snobby because he smoked a pipe and was a bird hunter, LOL. Barry raised and trained bird dogs and also had horses and would do the horse/dog/quail hunting thing but I never hunted with him. We're pretty tight now but his pipe and bird dogs are gone. He still has horses though. I'll see him at Christmas and bring up the bird hunting. I bet I get some good stories from him to pass on here. Barry owns a fair sized farm (which he leases out now) and does more deer hunting due to his bad knees. I bet he bird hunts sometimes though.

I've always been more of a deer hunter and truthfully been more of a squirrel hunter and only rarely hunted birds by just walking them up or burning up several boxes of shells for four or five doves. I haven't done much hunting at all in the last ten years though and I'm all fired up on this bird hunting, trap, and all that now. Once my back heals up, I'll start working on shooting and see how it goes from there.

All your comments and the comments of other bird hunters are read and reread by me. I have a tendency to obsess and go crazy over something new to learn. Keep them coming. Thanks.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:10 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 pm

It’s not a hunt.

It was fun.

And you’ll be hunting.
Not just shooting.

There are tower shoot around here and I went to one a few years ago with a good friend, and it was a lot of fun mainly for the comaradarie. If interested in details you can look at Top Flight website in Columbus tx.
Wrt over-unders in the UK, I heard of their increased use from a Brit expat co-worker 10 years ago or so, and was also surprised.