Gym Life

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Gym Life

Post by Del » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm

The time has come for me to move into that next phase of life -- Really Gonna Get Retired.

I've been working menial, part-time jobs for the last decade. I'm rather tired of that. So I'm gonna need some exercise.
============================================

Who goes to a gym or fitness club? What should I expect to find there? Any suggestions on making this fun and effective? How does a guy stick with it?

If any of you haven't met me -- I am 59 years old, 5'11", 230+ lbs, and I don't like pants.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Gym Life

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Let me know when you find out.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Find a gym that includes a couple of free sessions with a trainer. They can help you set realistic goals and develop a plan. You want to be safe and not waste time and energy.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:24 pm

What he said. Start slow and incrementally increase your effort. In addition to cardio you should include strength and mobility training. Calisthenics is a good place to start. Buy some good shoes and walk outside. Or jog if you can. It doesn't take all that much, really. Three to four times a week for 45 minutes or so. There's all kinds of programs out there for older guys. I like being able to easily get in a workout at home on my time or else I probably wouldn't do it. Also, for older guy especially, warm up before you go all out. And be sure static stretching after you workout.

You wanna have fun too. Try this: Get a little kid and play follow the leader with them. They'll have you skipping and jumping and pulling yourself up over fences and under railings. You'll be sore. :lol:

Here is the biggie - Eat better. You can't out work bad nutrition.

Get some sleep. Recovery is key.

After you develop some experience you can invest in home equipment. It's the best thing I've done to make me stick with it. The internet is your friend. A pull up bar, a squat rack, bench, barbell, and some plates will take you a long way. My basement and my neighborhood are my gym.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

DAN
Minister to Occupy Democrats
Minister to Occupy Democrats

Post by DAN » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:39 pm

I have long said that the best exercise is one that you enjoy. You'll keep doing that one. Anything else...not so much. Personally, I do calisthenics three days a week and I practice Okinawan karate and kobujutsu and I do these things at home. FWIW, I found this book helpful:

I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:01 am

Del wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm
The time has come for me to move into that next phase of life -- Really Gonna Get Retired.

I've been working menial, part-time jobs for the last decade. I'm rather tired of that. So I'm gonna need some exercise.
============================================

Who goes to a gym or fitness club? What should I expect to find there? Any suggestions on making this fun and effective? How does a guy stick with it?

If any of you haven't met me -- I am 59 years old, 5'11", 230+ lbs, and I don't like pants.
I'm 37, 5'11", and 215 (should and want to be 185-190). I've been going to our little gym here on the mission base for about the last 3 months or so. However, I've had a few "one-week-offs" at a time due to trips into the bush, sicknesses, etc. However, I've been fairly regular at least 3-5 days a week. I've always sucked at staying regular in the gym. This time I've just tried to tell myself, "Don't get in a hurry with results. Create better habits." This sort of mantra has helped when I don't have a six-pack after a week of working out...you know, those miracle and totally unrealistic results that we all secretly hope for and get bummed out when they don't happen type of results. I'm SLOWLY seeing a little more definition and noticing my strength increasing. However, I have GOT TO STOP EATING AFTER SUPPER ESPECIALLY SO LATE AT NIGHT!!!!!!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:26 am

JMG wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:01 am
However, I have GOT TO STOP EATING AFTER SUPPER ESPECIALLY SO LATE AT NIGHT!!!!!!
But that's when we get the munchies, right?!!?
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am

I agree with you. What you'll find at most gyms is people that will encourage you and support your efforts. Most gyms do require pants though. The first month or so you have to make yourself keep it up but after that, as you meet goals, it gets easier and eventually you won't feel right if you skip out.

I go to a little gym in Belhaven but all I've been doing is walking on the treadmill during the summer and on the road for an hour at a time during the week. I need to do more some strength training. I've still lost 60 pounds in the last year and I'm down to 273 (6' 4") but I'd like to get below 250 or even lower if that is in the cards for me. I had to break out different waist sizes of jeans and now I'm back to 42 from 50. If I lose anymore I'll have to actually buy new jeans.

Walking and praying is always nice and restorative. Eating right is a big thing. I cut out adding salt to food and I'm eating low carbs and now my blood sugar is pre-diabetic levels and my blood pressure is great with no meds for either. I've averaged losing about a pound a week overall but the weight loss comes in spurts. Permanently changing your eating is tough but you get used to it.

Also if you are going to go full retirement exercise gives structure to your day and gives you something to work toward. Set achievable goals a little at the time as you go. You will plateau out at some point and feel like you're not making progress but don't give up and eventually you break through and go to the next level.

Finally, the strange thing is that the days you absolutely DO NOT want to work out are the days that you feel the best when you do. It's really odd how that works. Good luck.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:36 am

Del wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:26 am
JMG wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:01 am
However, I have GOT TO STOP EATING AFTER SUPPER ESPECIALLY SO LATE AT NIGHT!!!!!!
But that's when we get the munchies, right?!!?
Every single night.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:32 am

I have an ANYTIME FITNESS club just a few blocks from home. I've been looking at them for a while. Will go talk with them this afternoon.

The club has weight machines, free weights, kettle bells, exercycles, treadmills, stair machines, aerobics classes, and equipments that I can't even fathom what they do for a guy.

I don't have space at home for gym equipment. And I don't know what I'd like to do, so I don't know what to buy. I could clean out the basement some day and set up a work-out area, but right now it's a lot more convenient to visit a gym. Mrs. Del is a clutter-hoarder, so cleaning the basement will be a major life-chore of its very own.
Cleon wrote:You wanna have fun too. Try this: Get a little kid and play follow the leader with them. They'll have you skipping and jumping and pulling yourself up over fences and under railings. You'll be sore. :lol:
Cigarson is getting married next year, and in a few years after that there will be some sprouts to play with. I mean to have the strength and stamina ready to enjoy it.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am

I never thought I'd be the kind of guy who get's up early to go to the gym.
I was right.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Jim Life

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 am

The Jim life ain't as glam as you think it is, my brothers.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 am

It's location location location!
The gym for early risers needs to be in close proximity to a doughnut shop or all you can eat breakfast buffet with bacon.
The gym for after work guys needs to be next to a lounge with a pretty good Happy Hour.
The gym for OCD fitness fanatics needs to be at least two miles away and needs to be walked, jogged or biked there and back again.

That's all I gonna say.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am

JimVH wrote:The Jim life ain't as glam as you think it is, my brothers.
Audible chuckle

Hello FredS

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:49 pm

DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:22 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 am
My Dad nicknamed me 'Jim'. After Jim Hawkins of Treasure Island. My real name is about as far as you can get from 'Jim'.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:36 pm

AFRS wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:22 pm
JimVH wrote:
My Dad nicknamed me 'Jim'. After Jim Hawkins of Treasure Island. My real name is about as far as you can get from 'Jim'.
That's right, Jam!
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

mont974x4
Wild Thing
Wild Thing

Gym Life

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Del wrote:
AFRS wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:22 pm
JimVH wrote:
That's right, Jam!

Hello FredS

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Too much talk of a homophone that took me years to escape.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Well, I went to my appointment at the ANYTIME FITNESS gym near home and signed up.

My fitness instructor, "Emily," is young and very cute enough to ensure an enthusiastic commitment for the next month or so.

I went to Discount Shoe Warehouse and bought some new shoes, sweatpants and workout shorts.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!