Ford Rotunda Building

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Ford Rotunda Building

Post by michigander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:50 am

Do any of you remember visiting the Ford Rotunda building in Dearborn, Mich?

According to this article:
https://www.clickondetroit.com/features ... urns-down/

"The Ford Rotunda was a staple of the area for decades, and was at one point the fifth most visited tourist attractions in the U.S., drawing more than one million visitors every year. (Fifth behind Niagara Falls, Smokey Mountain National Park, the Smithsonian, and the Lincoln Memorial)."

Unfortunately, it burned down in 1962 (the year before I was born).

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Re: Ford Rotunda Building

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:13 am

I visited Detroit a couple of times back in the mid 1980s and only remember a Ford Museum I went to.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 am

I would have liked to have seen it!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:51 am

I never got to see it I did get to visit the Henry Ford museum. Unfortunately I only had 3 hours not near enough time.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am

Never saw the rotunda either, but I've been to the "tubes".
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

michigander

Post by michigander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:56 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am
Are you referring to the underground tunnels that run between some Ford buildings?

Did you know someone who worked there?

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm

America's love affair with the automobile and highway system is an amazing History that really hasn't comprehensively been told, especially during the post WW2 years.
I feel for teens today with so little appreciation for the exhilarating freedom automobiles provide (not having a car right now, I know this first hand!) and for cryin' out loud just maintaining a car is a great education few kids in my day(who couldn't stand going to school) would want to pass up!
Since we live in a valley and getting requires driving through mountain passes, I taught my son how to downshift and he, in turn taught his friends how to downshift. None of them knew how! It's like they don't teach this stuff in in Drivers Ed anymore 8O

The love affair with automobiles is a shared culture---I think that's why stuff like the Ford Rotunda is so cool!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 pm

michigander wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:56 pm
FredS wrote:
Are you referring to the underground tunnels that run between some Ford buildings?

Renaissance Center. I knew some guys who worked there for GM and they called it The Tubes. Engineer types. I had to go there once when I worked for a Tier I company. All my platforms were GM.

Also, I'm with Hovs about how our car culture shaped me and how it's not shaping every boy nowadays. Still though, there are gearheads. Even if they're drifting ricers or racing electric vehicles, they're still messin' with cars. And that's a good thing.

Then there's this new 7.3L PUSHROD V8 from Ford. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket does with this heap!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

michigander

Post by michigander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm
America's love affair with the automobile and highway system is an amazing History that really hasn't comprehensively been told, especially during the post WW2 years.
I feel for teens today with so little appreciation for the exhilarating freedom automobiles provide (not having a car right now, I know this first hand!) and for cryin' out loud just maintaining a car is a great education few kids in my day(who couldn't stand going to school) would want to pass up!
Since we live in a valley and getting requires driving through mountain passes, I taught my son how to downshift and he, in turn taught his friends how to downshift. None of them knew how! It's like they don't teach this stuff in in Drivers Ed anymore 8O

The love affair with automobiles is a shared culture---I think that's why stuff like the Ford Rotunda is so cool!
I agree. My father grew up in Muskegon MI and learned how to wrench in my Grandfather's gaa station/ service garage. He later got an engineering degree and a job at FoMoCo. That's how I ended up an engineer at Ford. He also taught me how to wrench.

My wrenching has diminished to simple maintenance and a few minor repairs. But the history of being a third generation car guy has brought me a long way and gave me a great career.

The majority of my career was in engine calibration (aka engine tuning). It's given me a lot of appreciation for what goes into making a car run/drive well.

michigander

Post by michigander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:54 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 pm
michigander wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:56 pm
FredS wrote:

Renaissance Center. I knew some guys who worked there for GM and they called it The Tubes. Engineer types. I had to go there once when I worked for a Tier I company. All my platforms were GM.

Also, I'm with Hovs about how our car culture shaped me and how it's not shaping every boy nowadays. Still though, there are gearheads. Even if they're drifting ricers or racing electric vehicles, they're still messin' with cars. And that's a good thing.

Then there's this new 7.3L PUSHROD V8 from Ford. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket does with this heap!
+1

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:16 pm

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Let's talk about '32 Fords. Why do you guys think the 32 Ford is THE hot rod? Is it because the shape is so sweet or is it because it had a V8? It certainly wasn't the first V8 but it was the first affordable one. I think it's the engine. A guy could buy a cheap used one, take off the fenders, running boards and even the hood, and have a fast car. Way cheaper than trying to hop up a banger.

Even people who don't know a Corvair from a Corvette or an auto show from a car show, know they're looking at the iconic hot rod when they see a 32 Ford.

michigander

Post by michigander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:51 pm

You're right Fred.

I've never seriously considered owning a hot rod, but when I see a 32 Ford at a car show it really gets my juices going.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:15 pm

The '32 was a beaut!

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

The story goes Bonnie Parker of Bonnie and Clyde fame wrote Henry Ford a letter praising him for building such a fine car.
John Dillinger drove a Terraplane but that was years later and another story.

michigander

Post by michigander » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 am

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:03 am

michigander wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 am
That's incredible.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks Michigander, I thought Bonnie did their writing but is was Clyde. Bonnie must have been the picture taker.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm

One thing that impressed me about the Henry Ford museum,(all jokes aside Mrs Roadmasters father was named Henry Ford) is they also have cars from other makes
Case in point Harley Earl's Buick y job
There were two presidential limousines the JFK death car and the 1950
Lincoln with a bubble top. The 50 Lincoln was one of 12 built in the only one that had the custom clear top
a local funeral director has one of the 12 Lincoln's he used for funeral service if requested. He later sold it.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Buick Y Job. I learned something new today.