They Make It Look Easy

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

They Make It Look Easy

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 am

A couple recent threads in the Prayer room where some of our ministers ask for prayer as they prepare to speak before new groups reminded me of a story about daughter #3.

She and I spent a week of evenings building and installing some large scale Christmas decorations at our church a few years ago. The church band showed up on Thursday evening and she overheard some of their practice, and how they went over and over it until they were finally pleased with their work. Later, she said "They're so good. I didn't know they practiced though. I just thought they showed up on Sunday and played."

I admire ministers who make it look easy because I know how much time they put in before they speak. Teachers too. I know how much time they spend not in front of students, before and after the students show up.

What do you think looks easy that you know is not.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Re: They Make It Look Easy

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 am

Any public speaking for an introvert like me. I did it for my job, and would practice a presentation until I was sick of it, and almost sweat drops of blood in the hours ahead of the event. But when it was time, I could breeze through it. I was once the primary speaker at an event in one of the Caribbean countries, had sent a copy of my presentation ahead of time to be loaded into their system, and when I got to the podium and began the presentation it was entirely in Spanish, which I don't speak. I knew it well enough that it didn't matter, I breezed through it, and everyone was impressed. If they only knew.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am

The music angle resonates with me. I play guitar rather capably. Nothing fancy. I'm the world's okayest guitar player.

I've had a number of folks (mostly friends looking to save a buck) tap me to play a song for their wedding or some such occasion and almost all of them just assume (apparently) that no practice is needed. One occasion I was to play the bride and groom dancing song at a reception. Not only was I was asked in the eleventh hour, but whenever I asked what song they said they hadn't decided yet. I asked for a list of possible songs. They really hadn't even got that far. So maybe a day or two before they give me some country song I'd never heard of before, and it was a duet! I forced my wife to sing in public because what else was I going to do.

That scenario has played out a few times with weddings. Always late changes, always assumed it's no big deal. Another wedding I was to play guitar for someone singing a song I'd never heard before. We practiced for maybe 10 minutes day of. Same wedding they asked me to play the intro music and music while the bride was walking down the aisle. Day of! (Hey, I worked my magic and got it all done...no one but maybe my wife, was none the wiser...but pfft!...that was some hard/stressful work and I didn't even get paid!...I'm also a sucker.)
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am

I think being an OTR truck driver is NOT easy. Those men and women are working hard 365 days a year.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am

Anything produced by an artisan. Not the crap some hipster slapped together and touted on the web, but true artists that have mastered a craft. We don't see the years of toil, rejection, refinement, and piles of fouled-up materials necessary to reach the level they are at when we discover them.

Writers
Public speakers
Pastors
Welders
Missionaries
Stone masons
Finish carpenters
Artists
Blues guitarists
Skateboarders...

I'm sure the stuff I've tried, but can't master, impresses me the most, but anyone that does anything difficult well has my respect.

The what doesn't really matter, it's the mastery that fascinates me.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:55 am

Fly fishing. If you want to see somebody make it look hard you can come fishing with me. Also keeping a pipe lit.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am

Writers
Public speakers
Pastors
Welders
Missionaries
Stone masons
Finish carpenters
Artists
Blues guitarists
Skateboarders...
You put that in there for me, didn't you?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 am
JimVH wrote:

Writers
Public speakers
Pastors
Welders
Missionaries
Stone masons
Finish carpenters
Artists
Blues guitarists
Skateboarders...
You put that in there for me, didn't you?
As far as you know. :)

When I was a kid/teen, I wanted to be a good skater more than anything in the world. I spent hours, months, and years working on it and all I got in return was hurt. On good days I barely achieved mediocrity.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 am

arank87 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am
I think being an OTR truck driver is NOT easy. Those men and women are working hard 365 days a year.
I watch those guys back big trailers up to loading ramps, negotiating curbs and lampposts and other vehicles. I know that can't be so easy.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:47 am

Del wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 am
arank87 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am
I watch those guys back big trailers up to loading ramps, negotiating curbs and lampposts and other vehicles. I know that can't be so easy.
Both my grandpa's were truck drivers. Grandpa B liked to say "I've backed more miles than most people have driven." He got an award for a 'Million Accident-Free Miles'.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 am

JimVH wrote:
Anything produced by an artisan. Not the crap some hipster slapped together and touted on the web, but true artists that have mastered a craft. We don't see the years of toil, rejection, refinement, and piles of fouled-up materials necessary to reach the level they are at when we discover them.
Become Friends With Failure. This is one of my favorite things on the web. I point a lot of people there when they get frustrated with their craft.

I'm reminded of an interview I once saw with Johnny Cash. He often carried his guitar by the neck in sort of a rough manner. When asked about it, he said it was simply a tool. No more or less important than a carpenters hammer.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 am
Become Friends With Failure. This is one of my favorite things on the web. I point a lot of people there when they get frustrated with their craft.
That was awesome. Thanks. I needed that.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:55 am

We were at the circus last night. Lots of folks there made lots of really difficult things look easy.