Thanksgiving 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Thanksgiving 2019

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:42 am

I'm throwing in the towel on a family gathering this year. I've downgraded the meal to chili (that's an upgrade if you ask me) and GA's cranberry recommendation. If anyone show's up it's on the stove. Y'all feel free to come on by.

Thanksgiving gets harder every year. Everyone is grown-up and out on their own. Miles, competing demands, and failing health are the enemy. The worst part is now I'll be stuck watching Hallmark movies.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:09 am

Christmas was cancelled last year, looks like Thanksgiving is cancelled this year due to pretty much the same stuff that JimVH mentioned.

I won't be doing Hallmark movies tho.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:09 am
I won't be doing Hallmark movies tho.
Rita says you’re welcome at our house. You can even sit in my chair.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:59 pm

I feel for you guys. The shifting of longstanding traditions is like the earthquakes of life.

Thanksgiving seemed to be the hardest holiday for my wife and I to navigate for some reason. After we were married we split Thanksgiving dinners between her family and mine (and sometimes even friends). Usually at her uncle's in the afternoon and then my grandparents in the evening.

Then with more kids it became more difficult to stretch things out and we sort of landed on Thanksgiving with my wife's family (as we pretty much didn't do anything else with them) which was horrible because no one, I mean no one, on that side can cook but my wife (glory be!). If sacrificing an edible Thanksgiving dinner and spending the entire day with the in-laws didn't prove my love for my wife then nothing will.

Well after some years of this that side of her family just blew up because they're hillfolk and that's what they seemingly do. Leastways they're better at bickering than baking. So we had to shift Thanksgiving back my way. Only now my grandmother wasn't hosting anymore, and nevermore will, God rest her soul, and my folks who'd always gone to grandma's were in the same predicament. It was a natural, but still, in a way, surreal shift.

It was bound to happen. Such is life. Thanksgiving was always with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Now my folks are the grandparents, I'm the uncle, and my kids play with their cousins. It's funny (and a little sobering) to think about it that way.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 am

Because we did our dinner last Tuesday, I work tonight, and Mrs. Joegoat and I have a rare day off together, I made up a mess of cornmeal pancakes for a Thanksgiving breakfast.Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:09 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:42 am
I'm throwing in the towel on a family gathering this year. I've downgraded the meal to chili (that's an upgrade if you ask me) and GA's cranberry recommendation. If anyone show's up it's on the stove. Y'all feel free to come on by.

Thanksgiving gets harder every year. Everyone is grown-up and out on their own. Miles, competing demands, and failing health are the enemy. The worst part is now I'll be stuck watching Hallmark movies.
I hear your, brother!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:01 pm

This is the way.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 pm

This is the way.

I have spoken.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:44 pm

"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:36 am

Hovannes wrote:Image
HA!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 am

LushMojo wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 pm

This is the way.

I have spoken.
We had one of those also, and it was very good. But the boudin and bacon-wrapped duck on the grill wasn't too bad either.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 am
LushMojo wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 pm

This is the way.

I have spoken.
We had one of those also, and it was very good. But the boudin and bacon-wrapped duck on the grill wasn't too bad either.

You had me at boudin.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:38 pm

I’m turkeyed out. Leftovers for days. It came out fine as far as oven roasted turkeys go. Though I admit, I don’t even try to go all out on such a bird. I pull them out of
the oven about ten degrees before it’s done and let it rest and finish cooking. My turkeys aren’t dry anyway, but like every turkey it’s meant to get covered up in other flavors.

I like the sausage and duck idea S&S, but it would never fly around here on Thanksgiving where everyone believes they must have turkey.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda