What is the earliest Thanksgiving Day you can remember?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

What is the earliest Thanksgiving Day you can remember?

Post by Hovannes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 am

And what in particular do you remember about it?

There is a uniqueness to this Holiday in that it binds families together over generations.
The characters come, evolve, and go while the basic script is closely followed every (or nearly every) November.
For some it's like a post-graduate course in group dysfunction that needs annual refreshment, but I'm more interested in the positive elements, not the dramatic.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Re: What is the earliest Thanksgiving Day you can remember?

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:59 am

To grandparents house we went, every Thanksgiving. Tons of food and many deserts, football games on TV, Texas 42 being played by the adults on as many as half a dozen card tables, or dominoes tables, as it were. Numbers of attendees ranged up to 75 or 80 at its peak, then decreased over the years as old folks got older and Young folks got older too. I got in trouble on an annual basis for swiping a finger across cake icing and picking pecan slices off the top of pecan pies. Good times.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 am

About 5:00 a.m, IIRC, Had to get the turkey in the smoker.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:28 am

sysiphus wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 am
:lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 am
Ditto.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Not sure, but I remember watching the Macy's Parades as a kid. The one I remember most though was when I was ten and dad left us the next day.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

I remember going to my Aunt & Uncle's on the other side of the state (which was unusual for us).

This picture was taken in in their basement. I'm the one in the middle. (For reals). That's my twin brother on the right.

Perhaps not surprisingly I actually don't remember this picture being taken.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:10 pm

michigander wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm
I remember going to my Aunt & Uncle's on the other side of the state (which was unusual for us).

This picture was taken in in their basement. I'm the one in the middle. (For reals). That's my twin brother on the right.

Great pic.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:55 pm

October 8. That is literally the earliest it can be in Canada. Last one was 2018.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Sad to say but most of them are just blurs in my memory now. I do remember one at my Aunt Phoebe's house because I played Johnny Quest with my cousin Mike by flipping my little brother all over the yard. The rest were either at my Grandma's house or my parent's house. Turkey, a boiled ham, collards, etc. And the desserts, pecan pie, chocolate chess pie, lemon chess pie. My Grandma used to bake a cake from scratch on Sundays. Thick caramel icing and pecans all over it. Each slice weighed as much as brick.

My favorite Thanksgiving dinner was in 2008 when Theresa went all out and cooked a huge meal for my Mom, my brother, and my sister. Her children came too, the two girls, Erin and Dana and her son Matt. They call me their stepdad now even though we never made it to the altar. The dogs were there too, Saydee, my golden retriever, Molly, Theresa's beagle, and Bailey, Erin's beagle. That was about as perfect a Thanksgiving as I can remember in my adult life. The picture is me, Theresa, Dana and Matt.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 pm

I grew up in a home that didn't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Pretty sure that explains a lot.
DL Jake

how is your scrotum? - Roadmaster

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 pm

I’ve been thinking about this all day. I suppose my earliest remembrance is being at my granny’s house when I was seven or eight. I remember it because it was the site of the Great Applesauce Insult. We were all around the table and my older brother had refused to try my aunt’s homemade applesauce. This rejection made her sad. Probably the worse thing in the world you could do earn my grandpa's ire is make one of his daughters sad. This gentle, sweet man, in one fluid motion, reached over, grabbed my brother’s face with his bear-paw of a right hand, and with his left shoved a giant serving spoon full of applesauce into my brother’s mouth. He then used his thumb to clamp my brother’s mouth closed, giving him no choice but to swallow or shoot it out of his nose. He accomplished both.

Good times.

michigander

Post by michigander » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:15 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 pm
I’ve been thinking about this all day. I suppose my earliest remembrance is being at my granny’s house when I was seven or eight. I remember it because it was the site of the Great Applesauce Insult. We were all around the table and my older brother had refused to try my aunt’s homemade applesauce. This rejection made her sad. Probably the worse thing in the world you could do earn my grandpa's ire is make one of his daughters sad. This gentle, sweet man, in one fluid motion, reached over, grabbed my brother’s face with his bear-paw of a right hand, and with his left shoved a giant serving spoon full of applesauce into my brother’s mouth. He then used his thumb to clamp my brother’s mouth closed, giving him no choice but to swallow or shoot it out of his nose. He accomplished both.

Good times.
:lol: :lol:
Now that's some good family memories right there.

I think the world could use a few men like your Grandpa these days.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:50 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Good times.
This is beyond awesome.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

michigander

Post by michigander » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:10 pm
michigander wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Great pic.
I look pretty innocent in that picture. Some might say "angelic". It's pretty easy to see which one is the evil twin.

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:42 pm
Not sure, but I remember watching the Macy's Parades as a kid. The one I remember most though was when I was ten and dad left us the next day.
Hardly anything to be thankful, over, huh? Around that age is when most boys begin looking to a father to help them know how to be a man.

Sorry you experienced that, Fainn.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis