Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39848
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by Del » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 am

RM was on to something good.

To help prepare for when your overbearing brother-in-law brings up a hot-button topic, what are some great ways to deflect the conversation?

Post your best ideas here!
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39848
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by Del » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:07 pm

Pipeson and Cigarson have taken up shooting this summer. Some serious Gun Acquisition Disorder. Cigarson has it bad, and watches lots of Youtube videos about gun enthusiasts.

Both have purchased rifles. Cigarson bought a pistol. Pipeson bought a shotgun. Lots of targets and skeet shooting. Testing different ammo.

They are both setting out on their first deer hunts this season.

I'm going to use this!
===================================

When a bad topic comes up, I plan to quash it with a gentle reminder that we don't want to argue about anything, right? Then I will ask the room if anyone has any good hunting stories this year.

That should light Cigarson's fuse. It will be a while before anyone can get the topic back!
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 14490
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by tuttle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Wear a cargo kilt.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39848
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by Del » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 pm

tuttle wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:09 pm
Wear a cargo kilt.
That works, if your family isn't accustomed already to see you in a cargo kilt.

If any of you guys want to borrow one, let me know! Size 38, more or less.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24365
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:39 pm

I wasn't kidding in the other thread. I'm much happier at the kids table telling fart jokes than at the adult table being serious. If the conversation starts getting tense I'm out.

Most of my family is like minded, so it's usually not an issue, and those who might disagree are usually reluctant to bring it up, but I figure it's rare that I get to see all my family in one location, so why risk effing it up with controversy.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26307
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Cars, planes and trains are good, as are dogs, cats and other pets.
The movie Midway will certainly be brought up.
Religion is actually pretty neutral ground these days as there are few believers any more :(
Music is good---especially any up coming Christmas concerts.
Then there is football, the parade, and black Friday sales to discuss (or avoid.)
And the after feast walk around the neighborhood accompanied by pipes or cigars :pipe2:
Geezers can complain about aches and pains and kids can be kids.
I prefer the company of children. :thumbsup:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39848
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by Del » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:33 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:39 pm
I wasn't kidding in the other thread. I'm much happier at the kids table telling fart jokes than at the adult table being serious. If the conversation starts getting tense I'm out.

Most of my family is like minded, so it's usually not an issue, and those who might disagree are usually reluctant to bring it up, but I figure it's rare that I get to see all my family in one location, so why risk effing it up with controversy.
Gosh darn it, even fart jokes are political now.

BREAKING: ERIC SWALWELL
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7510
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:29 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:33 pm
JimVH wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:39 pm
I wasn't kidding in the other thread. I'm much happier at the kids table telling fart jokes than at the adult table being serious. If the conversation starts getting tense I'm out.

Most of my family is like minded, so it's usually not an issue, and those who might disagree are usually reluctant to bring it up, but I figure it's rare that I get to see all my family in one location, so why risk effing it up with controversy.
Gosh darn it, even fart jokes are political now.

BREAKING: ERIC SWALWELL
BREAKING: WIND
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26307
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 am

Family T-days, Christmas & New Year's gatherings of the past, especially remembering loved ones who are no longer with us.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8751
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by SlowToke » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 pm

My strategy is to no longer invite family over for Thanksgiving. It works pretty well.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24365
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:35 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 pm
My strategy is to no longer invite family over for Thanksgiving. It works pretty well.
#dingdingdingwehaveawinner
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:35 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 pm
My strategy is to no longer invite family over for Thanksgiving. It works pretty well.
#dingdingdingwehaveawinner
#winnerwinnerturkeydinner
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8751
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner without the Politics

Post by SlowToke » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:35 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 pm
My strategy is to no longer invite family over for Thanksgiving. It works pretty well.
#dingdingdingwehaveawinner
#winnerwinnerturkeydinner
In peace nonetheless.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Post Reply