The pre-Christmas game plan.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

The pre-Christmas game plan.

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:55 am

Secular pre-Christmas doesn't abide Advent, unless it can sell Advent Calendars because that's what secular Christmas does---sell things.
Secular pre-Christmas may not even abide Christmas proper with the generic Holiday the preferred noun in most quarters.
OK, so what's a family to do?
There are certainly enough secular pre-Christmas demands to be met---presents to be bought, cards to be sent, lights to put up, and the manifestation of that ever-lovin' tree. Of course there's baking and parties, too. There can be immense pleasure to be had but also a great deal of stress and opting out often times isn't an option.
Skip the cards and relatives in Massachusetts will think you've passed away and when they call to offer condolences to your family, well, that's sure embarrassing! It adds more stress than a forever stamp is worth.
Got any tips or suggestions to put tangible meaning into your family's Advent?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Re: The pre-Christmas game plan.

Post by CodeMonkey » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:12 pm

I sent my niece an Advent calendar for her kids. Each day has a little booklet that shares part of the true Christmas story. Each booklet can then be hung on the tree as an ornament. Perhaps you could come up with ornaments, purchased or created by yourself, to represent something about the Christmas story. You could then share the story and hang an ornament each day.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Trying for a few more things for Solomon. I have no idea what to get Mary.
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:09 pm
Trying for a few more things for Solomon. I have no idea what to get Mary.
A few years back I made an Advent calendar out of a cardboard case of LeCreme Chardonnay for Mrs. Hov
It was much appreciated as she aides in 2nd and 3rd grade, and the little ones get especially rambunctious when they know the Fat Man is on his way.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:00 am

We celebrate Advent, centering each week around themes: Hope, Love, Joy, Peace with the specters of Expectation and Anticipation hovering over all of it. I think of the Advent season as a kind of dark night tinged with longing. The darkness before the dawn. Like an echo of a drum beat. It's coming. It's coming. Getting louder until we can say He's Here! It's more of a mood I try to cultivate than anything else.

With our kids, usually at dinner, we typically light a candle each week, read a theme-related passage of Scripture, pray, and sing a theme-related song. Sometimes we sing that particular song every night that week. And we have a number of books we've used throughout the years, but one of the best ones we've found, at least for our needs, is a book with the hideous title "The Jesus Storybook Bible". It's merely a retelling of bible stories for kids, but each story emphasizes this advent longing, the expectation that one day the Messiah will come. And whether the author meant it or not, if you start December 1st and read one story every day, you wind up at the birth of Christ on Christmas Day!

I'm always disappointed that things drop like lead the day after Christmas. I mean, that's when the party ought to really begin! If I were the king I'd mandate the 12 days of Christmas. What I really need is a post-Christmas (Day) game plan!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:00 am
We celebrate Advent, centering each week around themes: Hope, Love, Joy, Peace with the specters of Expectation and Anticipation hovering over all of it. I think of the Advent season as a kind of dark night tinged with longing. The darkness before the dawn. Like an echo of a drum beat. It's coming. It's coming. Getting louder until we can say He's Here! It's more of a mood I try to cultivate than anything else.

With our kids, usually at dinner, we typically light a candle each week, read a theme-related passage of Scripture, pray, and sing a theme-related song. Sometimes we sing that particular song every night that week. And we have a number of books we've used throughout the years, but one of the best ones we've found, at least for our needs, is a book with the hideous title "The Jesus Storybook Bible". It's merely a retelling of bible stories for kids, but each story emphasizes this advent longing, the expectation that one day the Messiah will come. And whether the author meant it or not, if you start December 1st and read one story every day, you wind up at the birth of Christ on Christmas Day!

I'm always disappointed that things drop like lead the day after Christmas. I mean, that's when the party ought to really begin! If I were the king I'd mandate the 12 days of Christmas. What I really need is a post-Christmas (Day) game plan!
Excellent point!
Let's include any post Christmas Day game plans in this thread :D

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Boys, if we are going to win this one, we are just going to have to put more points on the board than the other team. Everyone is going to have to get out there and give 110%. We are going to have to play for all four quarters. We just have to decide that we want it. We are going to have to execute. Now let's get out there and play ball!
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk