Wing Shooting Trap/Skeet

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Re: Wing Shooting Trap/Skeet

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm
(I don't know what that's called....launcher?)
Post a photo. We’d love to see it!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Nice gun. I also have a single trigger sxs, but prefer double triggers.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:32 am

Even if you make friends with Gabriel, who does things right, you still have to pay to get there!
Ha! If by “does things right” you mean, “walking solo by field creeks and fence rows hoping to get a shot at a wild bird or two a year with a Remington 870 Express,” then yes. :)

I just opened this thread and will have to wait and read through it when I have more time. Looks like lots of great stuff here. I will say that it IS possible to become a competent wing shooter without spending a fortune in club dues and expensive guns. It does take space to shoot and is much easier with at least a partner throw clay birds.

So far this year I’ve missed on a flushing woodcock and lost a cock pheasant to a Cooper’s hawk so... maybe I’m not the guy to ask...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:35 pm

And this bit of personal advice (take it or leave it): if your primary goal is to be an excellent wingshot, shoot practice clay targets with a safely pointed, unmounted gun.
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m not sure what you mean here?
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:55 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:19 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:35 pm

And this bit of personal advice (take it or leave it): if your primary goal is to be an excellent wingshot, shoot practice clay targets with a safely pointed, unmounted gun.
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m not sure what you mean here?
Competitive Skeet and Trap shooters (in the American sports) typically mount the gun before calling for the bird.
As you know, hunters don’t walk in the field with their guns mounted.

When you practice with competitive shooters, even informally, they will shoot with their guns shouldered, cheek tight against the comb, eyes and gun often pointed toward specific access and insertion points (depending on how they’ve been taught the game).

Hunters carry their guns in a safe position, prepared to mount and shoot where game is expected to flush or fly, or in a neutral “ready for anything” position, depending on the situation.

In order to become a better wingshot, it’s best to practice shooting clay targets with your gun (and feet) in the ready position, unmounted. If you are shooting with others who are practicing to improve their scores in Trap or Skeet, shooting with an unmounted gun will make you something of an oddball. That, and your scores will likely be lower than they would be with a mounted gun.

But in the future, cleanly killed game will thank you, posthumously.
No right or wrong here, it’s more a matter of what your goals are.

And you can certainly practice both - and excell at both clay target games and at wingshooting, but few are fortunate enough these days to become excellent wingshots only shooting at birds, so if you want to hunt it is a good idea to practice on clay targets some (or more) with an unmounted gun.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Ok, that’s what I assumed you meant, but wanted to be sure. I’ve always shot clays this way, though I’ve only shot informally. I see it as practice, so I start with my gun held in front of my body pointing up and diagonally to the left (sometimes resting on my left arm), safety engaged. I often ask the person running the trap to pull on their own timing so I need to react. When we have time I’ll ask them to mix up singles or doubles without telling me. I don’t have many opportunities for that kind of practice, but it’s a ton of fun when I do.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:33 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:47 pm
Ok, that’s what I assumed you meant, but wanted to be sure. I’ve always shot clays this way, though I’ve only shot informally. I see it as practice, so I start with my gun held in front of my body pointing up and diagonally to the left (sometimes resting on my left arm), safety engaged. I often ask the person running the trap to pull on their own timing so I need to react. When we have time I’ll ask them to mix up singles or doubles without telling me. I don’t have many opportunities for that kind of practice, but it’s a ton of fun when I do.
As hugo said, you do it right.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am

This thread is so cool. I've got this strange personality flaw that makes me go nuts over something new to learn. I've always been that way, I almost obsess over it. In years past it's been stuff from sailing to flying to guitar etc. I never got really good at any of it but the fun for me was in the learning. So here's the plan so far:

I'm calling the commercial range closest to me either today or tomorrow and setting up a lesson or two. I've already said that I hunted dove when I was younger and tagged along with my Dad when I was a kid hunting quail but my wing shooting skills are pretty much nonexistent. So it will be a lesson or two first and then I'll start hanging around with the shotgunners at the Wildlife Club range (only 300.00 a year) and practice and learn with some of those guys.

I've identified two friends with farms that I can hunt with. No dogs but I can still get out there with them and maybe flush a few coveys of quail. The plan (which always changes) is to learn with that Fausti O/U but I'd really like to hunt with my old Ithaca Flues 16 ga. I have a case of #6 2 1/2" low pressure game loads. I don't know why but I'd really like to hunt with that old gun probably because my Dad was a 16 gauge guy. I have been checking out handloading shotgun shells and I have experience handloading rifle and handgun cartridges but from what I've seen and read online, a 16 gauge single stage set up won't bankrupt me.

Finally, if this new obsession gets totally out of control, I live in waterfowl heaven. I have no boat but I do have my old High Standard 12 ga. pump with a full choke. I've only duck hunted a few times in my life and no nothing about that either. I always hunted deer and squirrels. Totally different and lots of learning ahead of me.

Once again, thanks for all the encouragement and advise. Be Blessed.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am
This thread is so cool. I've got this strange personality flaw that makes me go nuts over something new to learn. I've always been that way, I almost obsess over it. In years past it's been stuff from sailing to flying to guitar etc. I never got really good at any of it but the fun for me was in the learning. So here's the plan so far:

I'm calling the commercial range closest to me either today or tomorrow and setting up a lesson or two. I've already said that I hunted dove when I was younger and tagged along with my Dad when I was a kid hunting quail but my wing shooting skills are pretty much nonexistent. So it will be a lesson or two first and then I'll start hanging around with the shotgunners at the Wildlife Club range (only 300.00 a year) and practice and learn with some of those guys.

I've identified two friends with farms that I can hunt with. No dogs but I can still get out there with them and maybe flush a few coveys of quail. The plan (which always changes) is to learn with that Fausti O/U but I'd really like to hunt with my old Ithaca Flues 16 ga. I have a case of #6 2 1/2" low pressure game loads. I don't know why but I'd really like to hunt with that old gun probably because my Dad was a 16 gauge guy. I have been checking out handloading shotgun shells and I have experience handloading rifle and handgun cartridges but from what I've seen and read online, a 16 gauge single stage set up won't bankrupt me.

Finally, if this new obsession gets totally out of control, I live in waterfowl heaven. I have no boat but I do have my old High Standard 12 ga. pump with a full choke. I've only duck hunted a few times in my life and no nothing about that either. I always hunted deer and squirrels. Totally different and lots of learning ahead of me.

For waterfowl, steel or non-toxic shot is required, so make certain if your High Standard and it's full choke can safely handle steel so you'll know which shot to use.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 am

This is the bestestest thread. Life is so darned rough and everyone goes through their own personal tragedies, so it's just nice to see people sharing their love of harmless hobbies.

Thanks for lifting my spirits, Stan.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am

For waterfowl, steel or non-toxic shot is required, so make certain if your High Standard and it's full choke can safely handle steel so you'll know which shot to use.
Today’s bismuth is a good alternative. I loaded for my 16 gauge using “low” pressure, relatively speaking. Non toxic reloading is a whole other animal. The optimum load to get good crimps requires just the right touch and just the right shot size, forget shot bushings. One by one you must must hand dip by volume and weigh each. You’ve been warned. :lol:

I may get out to do some quail hunting in the next few weeks. My dogs are not ready for it. They may still be useful though, they’re spaniels at least. They don’t have to be steady, just birdy.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 am
This is the bestestest thread. Life is so darned rough and everyone goes through their own personal tragedies, so it's just nice to see people sharing their love of harmless hobbies.

Thanks for lifting my spirits, Stan.
Thanks for the advice and for uplifting mine. Heck this whole forum is uplifting. As far as the High Standard goes, yep I probably won't use it if and when I get into waterfowl hunting. That would give me an excuse to buy a new gun, probably just a Remington or Mossberg. I really do live in waterfowl country and I have no excuse for not hunting. The Pungo River is full of ducks and geese and across the river, Hyde county is famous for it. Lake Mattamuskeet is less than an hour's drive from me. So is Gull Rock. https://www.fws.gov/refuge/mattamuskeet/

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm

I thought some of y'all would enjoy watching this video. I did.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:22 pm
I thought some of y'all would enjoy watching this video. I did.

I did enjoy that! Just wish there were more scenes with Cocker Spaniels. :D
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm

They're having a trap competition at the PCWC on the 22nd. They had one today too but I had to go to a funeral. I'm going to go watch and meet some of those guys. My back is better so I'm going to Hunter's Pointe and take a lesson this week. I won't be competing at the club but I can go watch those guys and ask them for advice on getting started. I know nothing about his sport. What is a good source and brand of clays? And what is a good budget trap load? I've got a good gun, hearing and eye protection. Any other stuff I need to start out?