My New 2019 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually Cummins Diesel

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Re: My New 2019 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually Cummins Diesel

Post by gaining_age » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:03 am
Push the skinny pedal to go. Push the fat one to stop.
are there Knobs?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 am
That manual must be quite a tome.
It is. 400 pages plus a separate Diesel Supplement.

Diesels have a feature called an "exhaust brake" and this Ram has a toggle switch to activate full or automatic exhaust brake. It is very useful when carrying or pulling a load when coming down a grade or when otherwise needing to reduce speed, thus keeping the driver from burning out the brakes.

I had to look up a good definition. It is a means of slowing a diesel engine by closing off the exhaust path from the engine, causing the exhaust gases to be compressed in the exhaust manifold, and in the cylinder. Since the exhaust is being compressed, and there is no fuel being applied, the engine slows down the vehicle.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am
Oil pressure might drop a pound or two as the temps rise.
I've never owned anything with a digital readout. It's good to know that could happen in a 2019 Ram 3500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4 with an 8' box, and inline 6 Cyl Cummins High Output Diesel coupled with a 6 speed Automatic Aisin transmission.

I'm also grateful for cut and paste.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 am

wait. what are the bricks for?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 am

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 am
To "run in" the new engine for "fit & finish" under load. Users Guide states this should be done within the first 6000 miles.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:36 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 am
John-Boy wrote:
To "run in" the new engine for "fit & finish" under load. Users Guide states this should be done within the first 6000 miles.
You ran into a pile of bricks with your new truck? Did you dump milk shakes on the floor too?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:00 am

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:36 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 am
John-Boy wrote:
You ran into a pile of bricks with your new truck? Did you dump milk shakes on the floor too?
:) No, the gorgeous new truck is just great fun for me after having driven the 'ol Toyota go cart for 23 years. This thread and my posts are my way of sharing my joy with the Group. It's a feel good kind of thing.

Another bright moment was checking the auto transmission fluid at the Circle K. I have a small step ladder I keep in the back seat area in order clean the windshield or to reach into the engine compartment. Whilst up there with it idling I was just so impressed with how very quiet the motor is. It's my new baby and I let soak in all such little pleasures.

Well, today is a good day to ride out to Kitt Peak, so off I go.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Just heard the covid-19 stimulus package includes a Dodge pick up for every family.

That insures they can't leave home.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:43 am

Very tight fit due to the brick plant bed I built 11 years ago. At the top of the pic you can see the rails I extended down the drive for the Coolaroo shade panel being fabricated...

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Recall was for the Ram 3500s with the Chrysler transmission, not the 3500 with the heavy duty Aisin transmission, which I have. The heavy duty Aisin is especially paired with the 2019 re engineered Cummins High Output Turbo Diesel.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Can you download Zoom onto that thing?
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 am
hugodrax wrote:

Diesels have a feature called an "exhaust brake" and this Ram has a toggle switch to activate full or automatic exhaust brake. It is very useful when carrying or pulling a load when coming down a grade or when otherwise needing to reduce speed, thus keeping the driver from burning out the brakes.

I had to look up a good definition. It is a means of slowing a diesel engine by closing off the exhaust path from the engine, causing the exhaust gases to be compressed in the exhaust manifold, and in the cylinder. Since the exhaust is being compressed, and there is no fuel being applied, the engine slows down the vehicle.
Jake brake is trucker speak for exhaust brake. Thought you would want to know

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I bet Fainn's wife wishes he has an exhaust brake. Am I right?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:57 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:44 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

This may not be exactly how the Cummins system works.

michigander

Post by michigander » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:07 am

This engine looks a bit larger than what is Goose's truck.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am

michigander wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:07 am

This engine looks a bit larger than what is Goose's truck.
This is quite fascinating. Fortunately, Cummins engineered hydraulic valve lifters into their 2019 and later 6.7Ls making these latch adjustments unnecessary ....

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:59 pm

This is my truck in every detail, exactly, except it's black metallic, has a sun roof and the 5th wheel hitch installed. Yet, according to the posted list of options, this truck does not have the High Output 400 HP, 1,000 lb ft of torque 6.7 Cummins, nor the Aisin Heavy Duty 6 Speed Auto Trans, which my truck does have.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:44 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

You're neighbors will love it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 11, 2020 7:06 pm

You figured out how to roll coal in that thing yet? The chicks dig it almost as much as latakia smoke.