What are you cooking for Easter?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

What are you cooking for Easter?

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Shelter in place simplicity or hallelujah fancy?
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: What are you cooking for Easter?

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:47 pm

1st option...just Penny and I so it will likely be roast beef sandwiches or something on the grill
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Neither. I’m not a woman.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:59 pm

We found a small ham at the store yesterday. We have some fresh green beans and bacon. Some potatoes (will probably be mashed with butter and garlic, but maybe baked with some grated parmesan cheese). And we have ingredients for cheesy corn. Mrs FredS is gluten free but I bought a cherry pie.

She fell an hurt herself this morning. I always give these things 24 hours before considering going to the hospital, so, at best I'll do all the cooking tomorrow. At worse, I'll be sitting around the ER while she's being x-rayed.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:36 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:59 pm
We found a small ham at the store yesterday. We have some fresh green beans and bacon. Some potatoes (will probably be mashed with butter and garlic, but maybe baked with some grated parmesan cheese). And we have ingredients for cheesy corn. Mrs FredS is gluten free but I bought a cherry pie.

She fell an hurt herself this morning. I always give these things 24 hours before considering going to the hospital, so, at best I'll do all the cooking tomorrow. At worse, I'll be sitting around the ER while she's being x-rayed.
Prayers for your Mrs. I hope she’s OK. Maybe she’ll rise like the resurrection tomorrow morning. Yeah, OK, bad joke. :clown:

Anyway, I found some Porterhouse steaks in the freezer. I will grill those with asparagus and make mashed potatoes. My wife will make something for desert. We’re having a Zoom family gathering and birthday celebration too. The family in New Zealand, North Carolina, California and Texas is Zooming and celebrating together. This should be interesting.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:36 pm
FredS wrote:

Prayers for your Mrs. I hope she’s OK. Maybe she’ll rise like the resurrection tomorrow morning. Yeah, OK, bad joke. :clown:

Anyway, I found some Porterhouse steaks in the freezer. I will grill those with asparagus and make mashed potatoes. My wife will make something for desert. We’re having a Zoom family gathering and birthday celebration too. The family in New Zealand, North Carolina, California and Texas is Zooming and celebrating together. This should be interesting.
That sounds great, thunk.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:50 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:32 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:36 pm
FredS wrote:

That sounds great, thunk.
Yep. And prayers, Fred.

We also found and bought a small ham. Will bake some corn, bread, cook a pot of rice, warm a can of green beans, and make peach cobbler. Will be making a couple deliveries tomorrow, to my father in law, and to my wife's cousin.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:23 pm

I'd normally roast a leg of lamb to be eaten with my parish sometime around 2am on Easter morning after our midnight service.

This year, I've got no idea. I'd go ahead an roast some leg of lamb for my own consumption, but it would only go to waste after a few days seeing as how I'd be the only one eating it and even a small leg is likely to be too much to finish quickly.

Maybe I'll get some ground lamb and do burgers or something.

Being Orthodox, I've got another week to decide :D
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 pm

FredS wrote:

praying

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:47 pm

mcommini wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:23 pm
I'd normally roast a leg of lamb to be eaten with my parish sometime around 2am on Easter morning after our midnight service.

This year, I've got no idea. I'd go ahead an roast some leg of lamb for my own consumption, but it would only go to waste after a few days seeing as how I'd be the only one eating it and even a small leg is likely to be too much to finish quickly.

Lamb chops? Small roast?

I hate to see traditions go. We'll be having our yearly feast but without a houseful of people. Bittersweet. Sort of our collective Passover, I suppose. I'm tempted to eat it standing up.
—Marcus Aurelius

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:47 pm
mcommini wrote:

Lamb chops? Small roast?

I hate to see traditions go. We'll be having our yearly feast but without a houseful of people. Bittersweet. Sort of our collective Passover, I suppose. I'm tempted to eat it standing up.
I've contemplated doing a small roast. It will depend on the size of lamb legs I can find after tomorrow. The good thing about the years we celebrate Easter later than the Western Christians is getting really good sale prices on leg of lamb... and Easter candies. The bad is that quite often, ya'll already got all the good stuff :D
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:10 pm

mcommini wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
mcommini wrote:

Lamb chops? Small roast?

I've contemplated doing a small roast. It will depend on the size of lamb legs I can find after tomorrow. The good thing about the years we celebrate Easter later than the Western Christians is getting really good sale prices on leg of lamb... and Easter candies. The bad is that quite often, ya'll already got all the good stuff :D
Don't know, man. I've had your bread. :D
—Marcus Aurelius

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:15 pm

We're doing shish kebab(marinating as we speak,) pilaf, fresh asparagus.
My daughter baked Madelines for desert.
Sadly no peda bread(the bakery closed for the duration)
Lots of wine though!

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:15 pm
Lots of wine though!
Out of curiosity, given how eastern Mediterranean that list is, are you a member of one of the Eastern Catholic parishes?

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:10 pm
mcommini wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
mcommini wrote:

Lamb chops? Small roast?

Antidoron (the non-Eucharistic bread we hand out during communion and at the end of Liturgy) or one of the many traditional Easter breads we make once Lent is over and we can cook with eggs again? I'll be missing out on both this year, but am planning on a fat stack of French toast for Easter brunch as a consolation prize :D

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:42 am

mcommini wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:15 pm
Lots of wine though!
Out of curiosity, given how eastern Mediterranean that list is, are you a member of one of the Eastern Catholic parishes?

I hang with the Italians, Irish, Mexicans, Portuguese, Filipinos, and Poles as the closest Armenian Catholic church to me is in a town far, far away.

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:47 pm
Neither. I’m not a woman.
I lied. Not about the not being a woman part. Apparently, I'm making a ham.
—Marcus Aurelius

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:00 pm

mcommini wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:10 pm
mcommini wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
mcommini wrote:

Lamb chops? Small roast?

Antidoron (the non-Eucharistic bread we hand out during communion and at the end of Liturgy) or one of the many traditional Easter breads we make once Lent is over and we can cook with eggs again? I'll be missing out on both this year, but am planning on a fat stack of French toast for Easter brunch as a consolation prize :D
Both, and I've really enjoyed the experience both times. In Italian, we say of a good hearted person, "He's as good as bread." Don't tell anyone, but Orthodox bread is demonstrably better.
—Marcus Aurelius

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:23 pm

I think I have a banana left in my lunchbox and maybe some peanuts.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:09 pm

6 & 1/2 Cheese Lasagna!
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'