Opening up, how about some local observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses
Posts: 4556
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:56 pm

We opened up a few months ago. Now code Red for 1 week. We're one of the worst areas not just in the country but in North America, now. Woohoo!!! But I'm still getting emails everyday from listeners tell me that I'm helping usher in the mark of the beast and the antichrist because we report the numbers and public health orders to wear masks. Christians can be the worst.
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9397
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:56 pm
We opened up a few months ago. Now code Red for 1 week. We're one of the worst areas not just in the country but in North America, now. Woohoo!!! But I'm still getting emails everyday from listeners tell me that I'm helping usher in the mark of the beast and the antichrist because we report the numbers and public health orders to wear masks. Christians can be the worst.
Amen.

Saw video of an ICU nurse in North Dakota, aghast, that patients about to go on ventilators we’re still denying that Covid exists at all.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29123
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Hovannes » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Just announced ...

Our county is going to “level red” Friday.
“Stay at Home.”
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
Currently:

Image

Moving to “Red” Friday.
“Durango Herald” wrote: With a continued skyrocketing surge in COVID-19 cases in La Plata County, more restrictive measures are set to take effect Friday to limit the virus’ spread at a time health experts say is a critical moment in the pandemic.

Among the more notable changes, restaurants will be closed to indoor dining but will still be allowed to offer takeout and delivery, and the capacity limit for gyms will be reduced from 25% to 10%. The more restrictive order also prohibits in-person social gatherings with people outside their households, in any setting – a week before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Gov. Jared Polis said at a news conference Tuesday the state of Colorado is reporting an estimated 6,000 new cases a day, with more than 1,300 people hospitalized because of complications from COVID-19.

As a result, hospitals are struggling to meet the demand for care, a moment elected officials and medical professionals have feared since March when public health orders were first enacted to “flatten the curve.”

“This trend cannot continue of the increase we’ve seen in the last few weeks,” Polis said. “We in Colorado need to act to stop this exponential growth to save lives and save our economy.”
California:
Image
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24878
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 pm
Our county is going to “level red” Friday.
“Stay at Home.”
Image
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
I s'pect so too. CO is adding a new "extreme risk" purple level, 'higher' than red. Next level up I suppose would be black.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9397
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:11 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 pm
Our county is going to “level red” Friday.
“Stay at Home.”
Image
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
I s'pect so too. CO is adding a new "extreme risk" purple level, 'higher' than red. Next level up I suppose would be black.
Hadn’t seen that yet, Fred.
Is that statewide, or determined by the county? (The new risk rating system.)

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18649
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:11 am
FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 pm
Our county is going to “level red” Friday.
“Stay at Home.”
Image
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
I s'pect so too. CO is adding a new "extreme risk" purple level, 'higher' than red. Next level up I suppose would be black.
Hadn’t seen that yet, Fred.
Is that statewide, or determined by the county? (The new risk rating system.)
<jumping in..>

Looks state wide:
https://www.9news.com/article/news/heal ... cfdf8ce35a

Image

Red
New "severe risk" red level:
  • People are advised to stay at home as much as possible.
  • Gatherings of any size are not allowed.
  • Schools: preschool through fifth grade, in-person, hybrid or remote as appropriate; middle school, in-person, hybrid or remote suggested; high school, hybrid or remote suggested.
  • Higher education: remote learning is suggested, with limited in-person when necessary.
  • Child care is open.
  • Places of worship and life rites are limited to 25% capacity or 50 people at indoor functions. For outdoor functions, people must maintain 6 feet of social distancing.
  • Restaurants are limited to open-air dining with only groups of their own household.
  • Last call: 8 p.m.
  • Bars are closed.
  • 10% remote office work is strongly encouraged.
  • Gyms: 10% capacity with a maximum of 10 people indoors per room. Outdoor groups must be less than 10. Reservations are required.
  • Group sports and camps: Virtual, or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Critical and non-critical retail: 50% capacity with increased curbside pickup. Dedicated hours for seniors and those at-risk are encouraged.
  • Personal services: 25% capacity or 25 people.
  • Limited health care settings: 25% capacity or 25 people.
  • Indoor events and entertainment are closed.
  • Outdoor events and entertainment: 25% capacity or 75 people. Attend only with members of your own household and maintain 6 feet of social distancing from other groups.
  • Outdoor guided services: 25% capacity or less than 10 people.
Purple
New "extreme risk" purple level:
  • Stay-at-home is ordered.
  • Gatherings of any size are not allowed.
  • School for all grades: in-person, hybrid or remote as appropriate.
  • Higher education: remote is suggested, with very limited in-person when necessary.
  • Child care is open.
  • Places of worship and life rites: Remote, virtual services or outdoor services are strongly encouraged. Indoor capacity is limited to 10 people. For outdoor services, maintain 6 feet of distance.
  • Restaurants: Indoor and outdoor dining are closed. Takeout, delivery and to-go are available.
  • Bars are closed.
  • Last call: No on-premise service.
  • Office work should be virtual or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Gyms: Virtual or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Group sports and camps: Virtual or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Critical and non-critical retail: Curbside pickup and delivery.
  • Personal services: closed
  • Limited health care settings: 10% capacity or 25 people.
  • Indoor and outdoor events and entertainment: closed
  • Outdoor guided services: 25%, up to 10 people only in your own household.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9397
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:23 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:11 am
FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 pm
Our county is going to “level red” Friday.
“Stay at Home.”
Image
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
I s'pect so too. CO is adding a new "extreme risk" purple level, 'higher' than red. Next level up I suppose would be black.
Hadn’t seen that yet, Fred.
Is that statewide, or determined by the county? (The new risk rating system.)
<jumping in..>

Looks state wide:
https://www.9news.com/article/news/heal ... cfdf8ce35a

Image

Red
New "severe risk" red level:
  • People are advised to stay at home as much as possible.
  • Gatherings of any size are not allowed.
  • Schools: preschool through fifth grade, in-person, hybrid or remote as appropriate; middle school, in-person, hybrid or remote suggested; high school, hybrid or remote suggested.
  • Higher education: remote learning is suggested, with limited in-person when necessary.
  • Child care is open.
  • Places of worship and life rites are limited to 25% capacity or 50 people at indoor functions. For outdoor functions, people must maintain 6 feet of social distancing.
  • Restaurants are limited to open-air dining with only groups of their own household.
  • Last call: 8 p.m.
  • Bars are closed.
  • 10% remote office work is strongly encouraged.
  • Gyms: 10% capacity with a maximum of 10 people indoors per room. Outdoor groups must be less than 10. Reservations are required.
  • Group sports and camps: Virtual, or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Critical and non-critical retail: 50% capacity with increased curbside pickup. Dedicated hours for seniors and those at-risk are encouraged.
  • Personal services: 25% capacity or 25 people.
  • Limited health care settings: 25% capacity or 25 people.
  • Indoor events and entertainment are closed.
  • Outdoor events and entertainment: 25% capacity or 75 people. Attend only with members of your own household and maintain 6 feet of social distancing from other groups.
  • Outdoor guided services: 25% capacity or less than 10 people.
Purple
New "extreme risk" purple level:
  • Stay-at-home is ordered.
  • Gatherings of any size are not allowed.
  • School for all grades: in-person, hybrid or remote as appropriate.
  • Higher education: remote is suggested, with very limited in-person when necessary.
  • Child care is open.
  • Places of worship and life rites: Remote, virtual services or outdoor services are strongly encouraged. Indoor capacity is limited to 10 people. For outdoor services, maintain 6 feet of distance.
  • Restaurants: Indoor and outdoor dining are closed. Takeout, delivery and to-go are available.
  • Bars are closed.
  • Last call: No on-premise service.
  • Office work should be virtual or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Gyms: Virtual or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Group sports and camps: Virtual or outdoors in groups of less than 10.
  • Critical and non-critical retail: Curbside pickup and delivery.
  • Personal services: closed
  • Limited health care settings: 10% capacity or 25 people.
  • Indoor and outdoor events and entertainment: closed
  • Outdoor guided services: 25%, up to 10 people only in your own household.
Yep.
My wife just told me, too.

Thanks GA.

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16142
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by tuttle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 am

As KC and the metro counties have tightened up their restrictions, last Friday my county released a statement that they will not follow suit. They encourage responsibility but are issuing no mandates or restrictions.

It's no small thing. The pressure from the media and surrounding community leaders to mandate masks and restrictions is pretty high After KC enacted theirs, every day each county fell in line. There was a push in the media with stories about how the 'outlying' areas are the reason for the lack of hospital beds in the city (the fact that neither have been adequately proven doesn't decrease the pressure). So to be the lone county adjacent to KC to stand up and say "No" in this climate took some balls.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16142
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:04 am

I just purchased movie tickets for the first time in over a year. The kids and I are seeing Kong vs Godzilla tomorrow night (shh, it's a surprise).

Maybe I should start a thread on this but thanks to COVID it looks like simultaneous At-Home and In-Theatres releases are here to stay. I know it's convenient and even cheaper in some ways, but it really is just speeding the impending downfall of movie theatres. I know I could have saved a bunch of money by just purchasing a month's worth of HBO Max, but that seems to suck all the specialness out of the whole thing. There is no TV in my house (or maybe America) big enough to really show Kong and Godzilla in all of their monstrous glory!

Beyond that, the movie theatre has a single focus: the film. Everything aims at enhancing that: Big screen. Big sound. Dark room. Snacks. Stadium Seating for the best views. Warnings to be quiet and turn off your phones. At home (at least for me) there is no such single focus. The only advantage is the pause button, but that's because it's needed with the constant distractions.

Anyway, we rarely go to the movies unless it's for a special event or a special movie that demands a big screen. I hate the idea that movie theatres might one day go the way of video rental stores.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24878
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:04 am
I just purchased movie tickets for the first time in over a year. The kids and I are seeing Kong vs Godzilla tomorrow night (shh, it's a surprise).

Maybe I should start a thread on this but thanks to COVID it looks like simultaneous At-Home and In-Theatres releases are here to stay. I know it's convenient and even cheaper in some ways, but it really is just speeding the impending downfall of movie theatres. I know I could have saved a bunch of money by just purchasing a month's worth of HBO Max, but that seems to suck all the specialness out of the whole thing. There is no TV in my house (or maybe America) big enough to really show Kong and Godzilla in all of their monstrous glory!

Beyond that, the movie theatre has a single focus: the film. Everything aims at enhancing that: Big screen. Big sound. Dark room. Snacks. Stadium Seating for the best views. Warnings to be quiet and turn off your phones. At home (at least for me) there is no such single focus. The only advantage is the pause button, but that's because it's needed with the constant distractions.

Anyway, we rarely go to the movies unless it's for a special event or a special movie that demands a big screen. I hate the idea that movie theatres might one day go the way of video rental stores.
We've known each other 10 or 12 years Rich and I'm enjoying watching you grow in to a curmudgeon. Won't be much longer 'till you start complaining about the hairstyles worn by young men and your bum knees.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9397
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:04 am
I just purchased movie tickets for the first time in over a year. The kids and I are seeing Kong vs Godzilla tomorrow night (shh, it's a surprise).

Maybe I should start a thread on this but thanks to COVID it looks like simultaneous At-Home and In-Theatres releases are here to stay. I know it's convenient and even cheaper in some ways, but it really is just speeding the impending downfall of movie theatres. I know I could have saved a bunch of money by just purchasing a month's worth of HBO Max, but that seems to suck all the specialness out of the whole thing. There is no TV in my house (or maybe America) big enough to really show Kong and Godzilla in all of their monstrous glory!

Beyond that, the movie theatre has a single focus: the film. Everything aims at enhancing that: Big screen. Big sound. Dark room. Snacks. Stadium Seating for the best views. Warnings to be quiet and turn off your phones. At home (at least for me) there is no such single focus. The only advantage is the pause button, but that's because it's needed with the constant distractions.

Anyway, we rarely go to the movies unless it's for a special event or a special movie that demands a big screen. I hate the idea that movie theatres might one day go the way of video rental stores.
We've known each other 10 or 12 years Rich and I'm enjoying watching you grow in to a curmudgeon. Won't be much longer 'till you start complaining about the hairstyles worn by young men and your bum knees.
Heck, I miss the good old days when we sat around in the cave painting animals on the walls.
Chewing on a nice leg of mastodon, waiting for the wheel to get invented ...

Those were the days!
You young guys crack me up.

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16142
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:49 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am
tuttle wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:04 am
I just purchased movie tickets for the first time in over a year. The kids and I are seeing Kong vs Godzilla tomorrow night (shh, it's a surprise).

Maybe I should start a thread on this but thanks to COVID it looks like simultaneous At-Home and In-Theatres releases are here to stay. I know it's convenient and even cheaper in some ways, but it really is just speeding the impending downfall of movie theatres. I know I could have saved a bunch of money by just purchasing a month's worth of HBO Max, but that seems to suck all the specialness out of the whole thing. There is no TV in my house (or maybe America) big enough to really show Kong and Godzilla in all of their monstrous glory!

Beyond that, the movie theatre has a single focus: the film. Everything aims at enhancing that: Big screen. Big sound. Dark room. Snacks. Stadium Seating for the best views. Warnings to be quiet and turn off your phones. At home (at least for me) there is no such single focus. The only advantage is the pause button, but that's because it's needed with the constant distractions.

Anyway, we rarely go to the movies unless it's for a special event or a special movie that demands a big screen. I hate the idea that movie theatres might one day go the way of video rental stores.
We've known each other 10 or 12 years Rich and I'm enjoying watching you grow in to a curmudgeon. Won't be much longer 'till you start complaining about the hairstyles worn by young men and your bum knees.
I think smoking a pipe doubles the curmudgeonation in a man's life.

Being friends with FredS for over a decade triples it.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Post Reply