Opening up, how about some local observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 43893
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Del » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:04 am
Adam Z wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 pm
I also find it disturbing that the news media and those who are responsible for running the major social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) have decided that the science end of things is all settled and any medical doctors, virologists, etc. who have a different view than the popular narrative are being silenced. The science is never settled. There are always new discoveries to be made. This blatant censorship needs to stop.
This goads me as well. The sooner they say the science is settled the sooner they can start beating people into submission by calling them Anti-science. You know it isn't about science when real scientists who disagree based on science get cancelled and called anti-science.
"Science" is political code -- a buzzword for politicians to bandy about. Like "racism."

It occurs to me that real science is like real racism -- we know it when we see it.

When politicians say, "The Science is settled" -- they mean, "We are telling you that the politics are settled. Shut up and obey, or you'll be fined!"
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: central North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Adam Z » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 am

Del wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:04 am
Adam Z wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 pm
I also find it disturbing that the news media and those who are responsible for running the major social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) have decided that the science end of things is all settled and any medical doctors, virologists, etc. who have a different view than the popular narrative are being silenced. The science is never settled. There are always new discoveries to be made. This blatant censorship needs to stop.
This goads me as well. The sooner they say the science is settled the sooner they can start beating people into submission by calling them Anti-science. You know it isn't about science when real scientists who disagree based on science get cancelled and called anti-science.
"Science" is political code -- a buzzword for politicians to bandy about. Like "racism."

It occurs to me that real science is like real racism -- we know it when we see it.

When politicians say, "The Science is settled" -- they mean, "We are telling you that the politics are settled. Shut up and obey, or you'll be fined!"
Or fired, and if you keep running your mouth about it then everybody you work with will be fired too:

So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16135
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
I'm currently feeling the impact of this.

My father-in-law is, let's say, not a normal fellow and lives pretty much all over America in a camper towed by truck. Every now and then he lands at our place to visit and Cousin Eddie's it in our driveway for a day or a month. One never knows.

So he rolls into town last week, and somewhere around the five day mark I begin that old familiar conversation with the mrs "So...when's he leaving?" After he finds a new camper, she says. Apparently there's something wrong with his camper and he's come in town to find a new one. Problem is, as FredS has pointed out, these suckers are flying off the lots and the ones that are left aren't on sale. And being a rather low income individual, what with the gypsified lifestyle and all, he's waiting on a great deal...

So he and his busted camper rust-staining my driveway are likely here for a good while longer. Lord grant me patience.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
I'm currently feeling the impact of this.

My father-in-law is, let's say, not a normal fellow and lives pretty much all over America in a camper towed by truck. Every now and then he lands at our place to visit and Cousin Eddie's it in our driveway for a day or a month. One never knows.

So he rolls into town last week, and somewhere around the five day mark I begin that old familiar conversation with the mrs "So...when's he leaving?" After he finds a new camper, she says. Apparently there's something wrong with his camper and he's come in town to find a new one. Problem is, as FredS has pointed out, these suckers are flying off the lots and the ones that are left aren't on sale. And being a rather low income individual, what with the gypsified lifestyle and all, he's waiting on a great deal...

So he and his busted camper rust-staining my driveway are likely here for a good while longer. Lord grant me patience.
I sympathize and am praying for you.

In the interests of honesty, though, I must admit to genuine audible laughter.

This too shall pass.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
I'm currently feeling the impact of this.

My father-in-law is, let's say, not a normal fellow and lives pretty much all over America in a camper towed by truck. Every now and then he lands at our place to visit and Cousin Eddie's it in our driveway for a day or a month. One never knows.

So he rolls into town last week, and somewhere around the five day mark I begin that old familiar conversation with the mrs "So...when's he leaving?" After he finds a new camper, she says. Apparently there's something wrong with his camper and he's come in town to find a new one. Problem is, as FredS has pointed out, these suckers are flying off the lots and the ones that are left aren't on sale. And being a rather low income individual, what with the gypsified lifestyle and all, he's waiting on a great deal...

So he and his busted camper rust-staining my driveway are likely here for a good while longer. Lord grant me patience.
I know where I'm staying next time I'm back in the KC area.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
I'm currently feeling the impact of this.

My father-in-law is, let's say, not a normal fellow and lives pretty much all over America in a camper towed by truck. Every now and then he lands at our place to visit and Cousin Eddie's it in our driveway for a day or a month. One never knows.

So he rolls into town last week, and somewhere around the five day mark I begin that old familiar conversation with the mrs "So...when's he leaving?" After he finds a new camper, she says. Apparently there's something wrong with his camper and he's come in town to find a new one. Problem is, as FredS has pointed out, these suckers are flying off the lots and the ones that are left aren't on sale. And being a rather low income individual, what with the gypsified lifestyle and all, he's waiting on a great deal...

So he and his busted camper rust-staining my driveway are likely here for a good while longer. Lord grant me patience.
I know where I'm staying next time I'm back in the KC area.
Shitter's full!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18646
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by gaining_age » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
I'm currently feeling the impact of this.

My father-in-law is, let's say, not a normal fellow and lives pretty much all over America in a camper towed by truck. Every now and then he lands at our place to visit and Cousin Eddie's it in our driveway for a day or a month. One never knows.

So he rolls into town last week, and somewhere around the five day mark I begin that old familiar conversation with the mrs "So...when's he leaving?" After he finds a new camper, she says. Apparently there's something wrong with his camper and he's come in town to find a new one. Problem is, as FredS has pointed out, these suckers are flying off the lots and the ones that are left aren't on sale. And being a rather low income individual, what with the gypsified lifestyle and all, he's waiting on a great deal...

So he and his busted camper rust-staining my driveway are likely here for a good while longer. Lord grant me patience.
I know where I'm staying next time I'm back in the KC area.
Shitter's full!
Did he bring his dog?

Image
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 16135
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by tuttle » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:45 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:32 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:16 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
I'm currently feeling the impact of this.

My father-in-law is, let's say, not a normal fellow and lives pretty much all over America in a camper towed by truck. Every now and then he lands at our place to visit and Cousin Eddie's it in our driveway for a day or a month. One never knows.

So he rolls into town last week, and somewhere around the five day mark I begin that old familiar conversation with the mrs "So...when's he leaving?" After he finds a new camper, she says. Apparently there's something wrong with his camper and he's come in town to find a new one. Problem is, as FredS has pointed out, these suckers are flying off the lots and the ones that are left aren't on sale. And being a rather low income individual, what with the gypsified lifestyle and all, he's waiting on a great deal...

So he and his busted camper rust-staining my driveway are likely here for a good while longer. Lord grant me patience.
I know where I'm staying next time I'm back in the KC area.
Shitter's full!
Did he bring his dog?

Image
:lol:

Praise the Lord he gave that thing away (I assume...)

He had this little bastard of a chihuahua that was cute as a button until you came within 12 feet of it when it transmogrified into a demon from the Dark Abyss. My children, who love their grandfather and small dogs, lived in terror. Not to mention it pissing and dumping throughout my house when I was at work.

Seen in that light, I suppose this recent intrusion visit isn't all that bad!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Posts: 13353
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
I understand the Dutch are happy we have something new to blame our woes on. Unless, of course, one blames the Dutch for covid.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster
Posts: 23558
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
I understand the Dutch are happy we have something new to blame our woes on. Unless, of course, one blames the Dutch for covid.
The Dutch make great bikes too. Bicycles are also flying off the shelf, but I don’t know about Dutch bikes specifically. Pricey they are but they have a local following around here now. The Dutch also make lots of Pipes and Tobacco. It’s good to be Dutch.

Image
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm

^^ That's some world-class Google Fu right there. Finding a picture of Dutch (that would be President Reagan for you whippersnappers), on a bicycle, with a pipe, is brilliant.

Thunk wins the internet for August 04, 2020.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
I understand the Dutch are happy we have something new to blame our woes on. Unless, of course, one blames the Dutch for covid.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
I understand the Dutch are happy we have something new to blame our woes on. Unless, of course, one blames the Dutch for covid.
And you do not?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24866
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
I understand the Dutch are happy we have something new to blame our woes on. Unless, of course, one blames the Dutch for covid.
And you do not?
Nope. I blame Obama.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:23 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
I suppose this is as good a place as any to post covid observations.

Judge Rusty made a post about the rarity and expense of canning lids and it reminded me of a news story I saw last night about dry cleaning. It seems obvious now, but not something intuitive at first, that people who are working from home don't wear business attire, so the collective need of dry cleaning has tanked.

Other news stories have shown a windfall for home improvement centers as home-bound workers seek to build out their home offices and an increase in home sales as folks decided to live in places they enjoy without regard for the traditional commute. Daughter #2 works for a large firm that makes software for the healthcare field and has worked from home the last five months. Her company has no plans to bring thousands of employees to their corporate offices for the rest of the year at least.

We recently bought a travel trailer. We were lucky to find one a half hour away at a very fair price, but I was prepared to drive to Lincoln, NE or even Ohio to make the deal if I had to. Seems that, during this pandemic when hotels are closed and nobody with half a mind will step foot inside an airplane, they're selling RV's as fast as they can make them. We've also found many campgrounds and RV parks are booked solid, even in to September when the travel season is usually over, because kids who would normally be back in school aren't.
"Thanks, covid", many have been heard to say.
I understand the Dutch are happy we have something new to blame our woes on. Unless, of course, one blames the Dutch for covid.
And you do not?
Nope. I blame Obama.
Who spent a part of his life in Indonesia...

It’s the Dutch.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster
Posts: 23558
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm
^^ That's some world-class Google Fu right there. Finding a picture of Dutch (that would be President Reagan for you whippersnappers), on a bicycle, with a pipe, is brilliant.

Thunk wins the internet for August 04, 2020.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty slick of me too. :clown:
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

User avatar
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Posts: 18646
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by gaining_age » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm
^^ That's some world-class Google Fu right there. Finding a picture of Dutch (that would be President Reagan for you whippersnappers), on a bicycle, with a pipe, is brilliant.

Thunk wins the internet for August 04, 2020.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty slick of me too. :clown:
Thunk 2020!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9395
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by durangopipe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 am

"Science" is political code -- a buzzword for politicians to bandy about. Like "racism."

It occurs to me that real science is like real racism -- we know it when we see it.

When politicians say, "The Science is settled" -- they mean, "We are telling you that the politics are settled. Shut up and obey, or you'll be fined!"

Or fired, and if you keep running your mouth about it then everybody you work with will be fired too:

This Glenn Beck video disturbed me, so I set out to check out its accuracy.

The reason I was concerned about it’s accuracy is because the video Dr. Gold participated in (that she claims got her fired) included some pretty unreliable so-called doctors. The best known and most covered in the press, of course, was the woman who has a clinic next door to her church in a strip mall. She appears to preach a religion that is a mishmash of Christianity and a kind of African animism - including the belief that women’s health issues like ovarian cysts and endometriosis are caused by women having sex with demons in their dreams, that the government is using alien DNA to implement sinister objectives and also “removing the genes in the brain that support religion” in order to turn the people against religion.

Her name is Stella Immanuel. You can look her up if you haven’t already read or seen a dozen pieces about her.

But back to Dr. Gold ...

She apparently has a history of deception - doing things like standing in front of Cedars Sinai hospital in a white lab coat labeled, “Emergency Department”, and making a statement about Cedars Sinai hospital matters, representing herself as a doctor working at the hospital, when she was not.

I’ll post content from an article appearing on a Kansas TV station news site. They set out to find out more about her. Other news outlets that used her as a legitimate spokesperson (for the pro Zithromax-Zinc-Hydroxychloroquin Covid cure among other things) apparently did so without checking her out.

Further, no one seems to be able to locate either the doctors group or the hospitals she was supposedly fired from for “speaking out.” One hospital she claimed elsewhere to have been fired from said neither she nor any doctors group she belonged to had ever been associated with the hospital.

If this is TL then DR. :D I’ve summed up the gist of the article. Dr. Gold’s claims (made on Glenn Beck’s program) are at the very least highly suspect.
“KWCH News” wrote: FactFinder 12 digs into COVID-19 claims made in viral video

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Although social media sites have worked to take down a viral video because of false claims made about COVID-19, people across the country continue to share it.

FactFinder 12 investigator Alex Flippin spent Wednesday (July 29) trying to get in touch with some of the doctors who appear in the video.

FactFinder 12 reached out to two of the doctors who appears in the video, leaving messages and sending emails. Flippin also tried reaching out to the group, America’s Frontline Doctors. That’s the name seen monogrammed on doctors’ lab coats in the video.

As of Wednesday night, no one associated with the group responded, so FactFinder 12 took a closer look at some of the claims made in the video and the doctors who made them.

The woman seen introducing the doctors in the video spreading false information about COVID-19 is with the Tea Party Patriots Foundation.

In the video, men and women who we can verify are actual doctors, say they are with a group called America’s Frontline Doctors. Since the video went viral, America’s Frontline Doctors’ website has been taken down by the website’s host, Squarespace. FactFinder 12 reached out to Squarespace for comment but did not hear back.

When the site could be reached, it listed Dr. Simone Gold as part of the organization. On her Twitter page, you can see her in front of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. In the video, Dr. Gold wears a lab coat that reads “Emergency Department” and tells watchers that emergency room volume is down at the hospital.

FactFinder 12 contacted Cedars-Sinai to learn of Dr. Gold’s affiliation with the hospital.

The hospital said, “for three weeks in late 2015, Dr. Gold was employed on a per diem basis by Cedars-Sinai Medical Network, a component of Cedars-Sinai. She worked during this brief time in a network urgent-care clinic. Dr. Gold is not authorized to represent or speak about any information on behalf of Cedars-Sinai.”

Physician information websites list Dr. Gold as being affiliated with Centinela Hospital Medical Center in Inglewood, Calif. When reached to verify, a spokesperson for the hospital said Dr. Gold is not on staff and she is not affiliated with any medical group related to the hospital. The spokesperson went on to say the hospital urges everyone to wear a mask, maintain physical distance, and listen to the guidance from their local health department and officials.

On the subject of masks, Dr. Stella Immanuel in the video says, “You don’t need masks. There is a cure. Nobody needs to get sick. The virus has a cure.”

She says the “cure” is hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and Zithromax. Dr. Immanuel’s claims are not true. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say there is no cure for COVID-19. This is why the video has been taken down by YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, to name a few places where it’s been posted.

The FDA issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in March after some initial evidence showed it might be effective in treating COVID-19 patients, but then revoked that use authorization in June, saying the drugs were “unlikely to be effective in treating COVID-19,” and that the “known and potential benefits” of the drugs no longer “outweigh” the risks, which can include “serious cardiac adverse events and other potentially serious side effects.”

Dr. Immanuel also mentioned a 2005 study saying chloroquine worked in treating COVID-19, but that study involved SARS-COV, not COVID-19.

Another of the false claims made in the video is that there is no need to wear a mask. The CDC says masks are the best way to prevent spreading COVID-19 because it is most commonly spread through respiratory droplets.

FactFinder 12 tried to reach Dr. Gold by phone, email, and social media. As of Wednesday night, she hasn’t responded. FactFinder 12 did reach someone claiming to be with Dr. Immanuel’s clinic in Texas. The person on the phone said Dr. Immanuel is hard to reach and that she hadn’t seen her for a while, but the doctor might get back with FactFinder 12 by the end of the week.

FactFinder 12 also reached out to the attorney for America’s Frontline Doctors. Early Wednesday, FactFinder 12 was told that the attorney would call back. As of Wednesday night, he hadn’t done so.

Copyright 2020 KWCH. All rights reserved.
My wife owns a women’s health clinic and practices as a primary care provider. She’s working with local regional public health officials as both a medical resource (she is a board certified nurse practitioner with an additional graduate degree in community health) and a contact tracer for local Covid cases. She knows her stuff. This kind of unhelpful misinformation drives her crazy. NOT because she’s making any claim to being smarter or more “scientific” than anyone else, but because people who serve up this stuff as “information” are making an already difficult situation worse.

Hydroxychloroquin, especially when taken in combination with Zithromax, has caused fatal heart dysrythmias. That’s why they stopped the trials. That and the fact that they weren’t seeing any benefit.

And ovarian cysts and endometriosis likely have causes other than those cited by Dr. Gold’s associate in “America’s Frontline Doctors.”

Oh, and as far blaming someone for Covid?
How about Glenn Beck?

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 7629
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Fainn » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:54 pm

There is a statewide mask order now.
But if masks are effective, why are the cases pre and post mandate about the same?

https://www.sunherald.com/news/coronavi ... 04982.html
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Post Reply