Opening up, how about some local observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Adam Z » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 am

"Science" is political code -- a buzzword for politicians to bandy about. Like "racism."

It occurs to me that real science is like real racism -- we know it when we see it.

When politicians say, "The Science is settled" -- they mean, "We are telling you that the politics are settled. Shut up and obey, or you'll be fined!"

Or fired, and if you keep running your mouth about it then everybody you work with will be fired too:

This Glenn Beck video disturbed me, so I set out to check out its accuracy.

The reason I was concerned about it’s accuracy is because the video Dr. Gold participated in (that she claims got her fired) included some pretty unreliable so-called doctors. The best known and most covered in the press, of course, was the woman who has a clinic next door to her church in a strip mall. She appears to preach a religion that is a mishmash of Christianity and a kind of African animism - including the belief that women’s health issues like ovarian cysts and endometriosis are caused by women having sex with demons in their dreams, that the government is using alien DNA to implement sinister objectives and also “removing the genes in the brain that support religion” in order to turn the people against religion.

Her name is Stella Immanuel. You can look her up if you haven’t already read or seen a dozen pieces about her.

But back to Dr. Gold ...

She apparently has a history of deception - doing things like standing in front of Cedars Sinai hospital in a white lab coat labeled, “Emergency Department”, and making a statement about Cedars Sinai hospital matters, representing herself as a doctor working at the hospital, when she was not.

I’ll post content from an article appearing on a Kansas TV station news site. They set out to find out more about her. Other news outlets that used her as a legitimate spokesperson (for the pro Zithromax-Zinc-Hydroxychloroquin Covid cure among other things) apparently did so without checking her out.

Further, no one seems to be able to locate either the doctors group or the hospitals she was supposedly fired from for “speaking out.” One hospital she claimed elsewhere to have been fired from said neither she nor any doctors group she belonged to had ever been associated with the hospital.

If this is TL then DR. :D I’ve summed up the gist of the article. Dr. Gold’s claims (made on Glenn Beck’s program) are at the very least highly suspect.
“KWCH News” wrote: FactFinder 12 digs into COVID-19 claims made in viral video

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Although social media sites have worked to take down a viral video because of false claims made about COVID-19, people across the country continue to share it.

FactFinder 12 investigator Alex Flippin spent Wednesday (July 29) trying to get in touch with some of the doctors who appear in the video.

FactFinder 12 reached out to two of the doctors who appears in the video, leaving messages and sending emails. Flippin also tried reaching out to the group, America’s Frontline Doctors. That’s the name seen monogrammed on doctors’ lab coats in the video.

As of Wednesday night, no one associated with the group responded, so FactFinder 12 took a closer look at some of the claims made in the video and the doctors who made them.

The woman seen introducing the doctors in the video spreading false information about COVID-19 is with the Tea Party Patriots Foundation.

In the video, men and women who we can verify are actual doctors, say they are with a group called America’s Frontline Doctors. Since the video went viral, America’s Frontline Doctors’ website has been taken down by the website’s host, Squarespace. FactFinder 12 reached out to Squarespace for comment but did not hear back.

When the site could be reached, it listed Dr. Simone Gold as part of the organization. On her Twitter page, you can see her in front of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. In the video, Dr. Gold wears a lab coat that reads “Emergency Department” and tells watchers that emergency room volume is down at the hospital.

FactFinder 12 contacted Cedars-Sinai to learn of Dr. Gold’s affiliation with the hospital.

The hospital said, “for three weeks in late 2015, Dr. Gold was employed on a per diem basis by Cedars-Sinai Medical Network, a component of Cedars-Sinai. She worked during this brief time in a network urgent-care clinic. Dr. Gold is not authorized to represent or speak about any information on behalf of Cedars-Sinai.”

Physician information websites list Dr. Gold as being affiliated with Centinela Hospital Medical Center in Inglewood, Calif. When reached to verify, a spokesperson for the hospital said Dr. Gold is not on staff and she is not affiliated with any medical group related to the hospital. The spokesperson went on to say the hospital urges everyone to wear a mask, maintain physical distance, and listen to the guidance from their local health department and officials.

On the subject of masks, Dr. Stella Immanuel in the video says, “You don’t need masks. There is a cure. Nobody needs to get sick. The virus has a cure.”

She says the “cure” is hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and Zithromax. Dr. Immanuel’s claims are not true. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say there is no cure for COVID-19. This is why the video has been taken down by YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, to name a few places where it’s been posted.

The FDA issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in March after some initial evidence showed it might be effective in treating COVID-19 patients, but then revoked that use authorization in June, saying the drugs were “unlikely to be effective in treating COVID-19,” and that the “known and potential benefits” of the drugs no longer “outweigh” the risks, which can include “serious cardiac adverse events and other potentially serious side effects.”

Dr. Immanuel also mentioned a 2005 study saying chloroquine worked in treating COVID-19, but that study involved SARS-COV, not COVID-19.

Another of the false claims made in the video is that there is no need to wear a mask. The CDC says masks are the best way to prevent spreading COVID-19 because it is most commonly spread through respiratory droplets.

FactFinder 12 tried to reach Dr. Gold by phone, email, and social media. As of Wednesday night, she hasn’t responded. FactFinder 12 did reach someone claiming to be with Dr. Immanuel’s clinic in Texas. The person on the phone said Dr. Immanuel is hard to reach and that she hadn’t seen her for a while, but the doctor might get back with FactFinder 12 by the end of the week.

FactFinder 12 also reached out to the attorney for America’s Frontline Doctors. Early Wednesday, FactFinder 12 was told that the attorney would call back. As of Wednesday night, he hadn’t done so.

Copyright 2020 KWCH. All rights reserved.
Good work. Touché.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:08 am

Del wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:04 am
Adam Z wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 pm
I also find it disturbing that the news media and those who are responsible for running the major social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) have decided that the science end of things is all settled and any medical doctors, virologists, etc. who have a different view than the popular narrative are being silenced. The science is never settled. There are always new discoveries to be made. This blatant censorship needs to stop.
This goads me as well. The sooner they say the science is settled the sooner they can start beating people into submission by calling them Anti-science. You know it isn't about science when real scientists who disagree based on science get cancelled and called anti-science.
"Science" is political code -- a buzzword for politicians to bandy about. Like "racism."

It occurs to me that real science is like real racism -- we know it when we see it.

When politicians say, "The Science is settled" -- they mean, "We are telling you that the politics are settled. Shut up and obey, or you'll be fined!"
Who (not WHO) says the science is settled?

Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a very recent article from a local health care system connected to the state university - Science says: Wear a mask. The author concedes right up front that "the science behind mask-wearing – like so much of the science related to the COVID-19 pandemic – remains a work in progress." But there are many studies mentioned, and linked, in this article that indicate masks are more effective than nothing at stopping the spread of virus's. There's also a warning that masks may lull wearers in to a false sense of security in crowded areas. The recent protests, for example. "University of Minnesota epidemiologist Michael Osterholm said in June: “The messaging that dominates our COVID-19 discussions right now makes it seem that, if we are wearing cloth masks, you’re not going to infect me and I’m not going to infect you. I worry that many people highly vulnerable to life-threatening COVID-19 will hear this message and make decisions that they otherwise wouldn’t have made about distancing because of an unproven sense of cloth-mask security. Distancing remains the most important risk reduction action we can take.”

Obviously, the science is not settled, but science - in the form of past and current studies - says cloth masks can be somewhat effective in preventing the spread of airborne virus's. The literal bottom line of the article is that “Even if masks were only 10% effective, that would still be better than nothing. This can spread like wildfire. Even if you’re young and healthy, others are vulnerable. It’s not just your risk.”
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:42 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:08 am
Del wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:04 am
Adam Z wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 pm
I also find it disturbing that the news media and those who are responsible for running the major social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) have decided that the science end of things is all settled and any medical doctors, virologists, etc. who have a different view than the popular narrative are being silenced. The science is never settled. There are always new discoveries to be made. This blatant censorship needs to stop.
This goads me as well. The sooner they say the science is settled the sooner they can start beating people into submission by calling them Anti-science. You know it isn't about science when real scientists who disagree based on science get cancelled and called anti-science.

Who (not WHO) says the science is settled?

Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a very recent article from a local health care system connected to the state university - Science says: Wear a mask. The author concedes right up front that "the science behind mask-wearing – like so much of the science related to the COVID-19 pandemic – remains a work in progress." But there are many studies mentioned, and linked, in this article that indicate masks are more effective than nothing at stopping the spread of virus's. There's also a warning that masks may lull wearers in to a false sense of security in crowded areas. The recent protests, for example. "University of Minnesota epidemiologist Michael Osterholm said in June: “The messaging that dominates our COVID-19 discussions right now makes it seem that, if we are wearing cloth masks, you’re not going to infect me and I’m not going to infect you. I worry that many people highly vulnerable to life-threatening COVID-19 will hear this message and make decisions that they otherwise wouldn’t have made about distancing because of an unproven sense of cloth-mask security. Distancing remains the most important risk reduction action we can take.”

Obviously, the science is not settled, but science - in the form of past and current studies - says cloth masks can be somewhat effective in preventing the spread of airborne virus's. The literal bottom line of the article is that “Even if masks were only 10% effective, that would still be better than nothing. This can spread like wildfire. Even if you’re young and healthy, others are vulnerable. It’s not just your risk.”
As a scientist, conversations about "science" generally make me.

Speaking of "spreads like wildfire"... This article proposes the R0 of Covid 19 is closer to 5.5 than 2.5 (per the associated journal article).
As I've looked into this, I heard that R0 factors can change over time. The journal article was published in July 2020 so ... there's that :(

https://www.healthline.com/health/r-nou ... vid-19-r-0

Three possibilities exist for the potential transmission or decline of a disease, depending on its R0 value:
If R0 is less than 1, each existing infection causes less than one new infection. In this case, the disease will decline and eventually die out.
If R0 equals 1, each existing infection causes one new infection. The disease will stay alive and stable, but there won’t be an outbreak or an epidemic.
If R0 is more than 1, each existing infection causes more than one new infection. The disease will be transmitted between people, and there may be an outbreak or epidemic.
and
The R0 for COVID-19 is a median of 5.7, according to a study published online in Emerging Infectious Diseases. That’s about double an earlier R0 estimate of 2.2 to 2.7

The 5.7 means that one person with COVID-19 can potentially transmit the coronavirus to 5 to 6 people, rather than the 2 to 3 researchers originally thought.

The contagiousness has always been the hottest concern about COVID this year. After hearing the early numbers of R0 being about 3 back in January, I told my dental hygienist (6 months ago) that if that holds true about everybody will know someone that had it-- and I confessed that I hadn't looked at the symptoms or consequences yet (I did that after I got back home).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:16 am

I'd trust a Taco Bell fart more than the media at this point.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:40 pm

"Noah's Ark" waterpark in Wisconsin Dells is the largest waterpark in America. It is the anchor attraction for the whole town's summer season of hotels and resorts.

Two of the teenagers who work there have tested positive for covid. The teens have no symptoms. They have decided to shut the whole park down for the rest of the summer.

They hire hundreds of teenagers during the summer, and it is likely that all of them are tested regularly. The tests have a "false positive" rate of 3%, according to a reliable report from CDC or FDA (I forget which, but I linked to it earlier).

I sure hope that they tested the kids twice before laid off their staff and devastated a whole town.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am

This isn't local for me, but newsworthy....

‘Screw COVID’: 250,000 Bikers to Defy Common Sense for Nine Days at Sturgis Rally"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/screw-covid- ... 23022.html
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am

‘Screw COVID’: 250,000 Bikers to Defy Common Sense for Nine Days at Sturgis Rally"

Remember when New York's contact tracers weren't allowed to ask if new cases had participated in protest gatherings? The Authorities don't want to find out that large gatherings aren't a vector, and that masks and distancing don't matter. They really aren't looking for data on this.

This is the last we will hear of Sturgis, too. There won't be an outbreak among healthy bikers who travel to Sturgis.

The average age of persons dying of covid is 80 years old. Keep the nursing homes safe. Let the rest of us get on with our lives.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:21 am

Del wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 am
Goose55 wrote:

There won't be an outbreak among healthy bikers who travel to Sturgis.
We hope.

250,000 bikers head en masse to Sturgis Rally
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:21 am
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
If you believe the media hype, the bigger risk is to the antifa folks planning to protest there.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
If you believe the media hype, the bigger risk is to the antifa folks planning to protest there.
Antifa would be fools to ... never mind.
The 6s of 1st John:

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:23 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm
JimVH wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
I have my doubts that Antifa has any real interest in showing up in Sturgis. I do think a lot of bikers like to talk s*** about them seriously showing up though. But if they do go to Sturgis, it will just show how both groups are two peas in the same pod as far as I’m concerned. :|
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:23 pm
gaining_age wrote:
JimVH wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
I have my doubts that Antifa has any real interest in showing up in Sturgis. I do think a lot of bikers like to talk s*** about them seriously showing up though. But if they do go to Sturgis, it will just show how both groups are two peas in the same pod as far as I’m concerned. :|
I looked up Sturgis' namesake, Gen. Sam D. Sturgis. He's apparently famous for his comment, "I don't care for John Pope one pinch of owl dung.". That's a good thing to know I think.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:15 am

Thunktank wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
JimVH wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
Not looking to argue, just to understand. Could you clarify the last sentence? Unreasoning flip sides of the same coin? Troublemakers who just enjoy breaking things? People who travel without any regard for others?

Thanks.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:15 am
Thunktank wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
JimVH wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.
Not looking to argue, just to understand. Could you clarify the last sentence? Unreasoning flip sides of the same coin? Troublemakers who just enjoy breaking things? People who travel without any regard for others?

Thanks.
Good questions...

My friend who went to Sturgis had bought a motorcycle a 12-18 months ago. He's had a couple long rides and loves to get out and ride. This is perhaps his longest and was invited. It's an event he and his dad are going on-- with my dad passing last year (and step dad too) I have warm fuzzies about that unique opportunity for him. I hope it's an amazing time.... and fantastic weather (compared to the 108---115 temps down here).
The 6s of 1st John:

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:44 am

gaining_age wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:15 am
Thunktank wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
JimVH wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

We hope.

I know one.

Thanks.
Good questions...

My friend who went to Sturgis had bought a motorcycle a 12-18 months ago. He's had a couple long rides and loves to get out and ride. This is perhaps his longest and was invited. It's an event he and his dad are going on-- with my dad passing last year (and step dad too) I have warm fuzzies about that unique opportunity for him. I hope it's an amazing time.... and fantastic weather (compared to the 108---115 temps down here).
Let me preface this response with the anecdotal experiences I’ve had through feeds given to me because I was researching trail bikes. I fully admit that my perspective on this particular issue may be complete bunk, so take it with a grain of salt.

The situation as I perceive it:

It is claimed that Antifa plans to crash the party at Sturgis. A few bikers pass this claim around and respond with great glee what would happen if Antifa dares to crash the party. That it would be great fun to kick some Antifa butt!

My comment was that Antifa and some bikers are as Hugo said, “Troublemakers who just enjoy breaking things” and that’s just my impression.

I have no doubt that most folks who go to Sturgis are just out to have some good clean fun. I wish I currently owned a motorcycle to take a road trip right now. I sincerely hope they don’t pack bars and restaurants this year though due to Covid. Most bikers are healthy and strong, but Covid will hitch a ride back with them and find a less vibrant victim if they’re not careful.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 pm

We need wine windows
https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/medieval- ... tradition/
Yeah, that's it. Wine Windows.

Since mass is limited to 100, we're no celebrating two masses, one in the church parking lot, the other on the school athletic field.
The head usher wanted to know which mass I wanted so I told him the mass on the grass.
Which sounds like a Cheech and Chong routine :?
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 pm
We need wine windows
https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/medieval- ... tradition/
Yeah, that's it. Wine Windows.
I remember ordering wine lack that at a restaurant in Utah.
Positively medieval.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:33 am

Goose55 wrote:

I was on the road this weekend and saw a lot of bikers heading north to SD. Not as many as usual, but enough to tell that the rally at Sturgis is happening. I've noticed in the last few years that it's become acceptable to trailer your bike behind a motor home rather than actually ride in. We camped next to a guy Saturday night with a big ol' RV and enclosed trailer with his bikes. The trailer had a big sticker on the sides that read "Black Sheep - Harley Riders For Christ".
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California