Opening up, how about some local observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Re: Opening up, how about some local observations?

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:44 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Newsom has been doing a pretty good job for us. Not perfect, but good. He’s made some tough calls and making some people very angry, but he’s doing for the right reasons.
Well Uncle Joe will put a stop to any good (or bad) decisions being made by governors, mayors, school superintendents, and private employers when gets his national covid team set up. Trump has made a few a lot of mistakes, but leaving local authorities in charge of protecting their people is not one of them. Since the feds approve new drugs and medical procedures, they're rightly in charge of funding and fast tracking medical trials, but pretty much everything else should be driven down as local as possible.

We're tightening up here in CO because it's getting bad, but rural areas in KS don't need or deserve the same sort of restrictions we do. The devil's in the details and the details shouldn't be implemented from Washington, but I expect Jo will presume the people have given him a mandate to "fix this deal that Trump messed up".
I think Biden will do a very good job at managing Covid. Of course by the time he takes office the worse will be already be with us. Trump did a few things right and worked at if for about six weeks.

Biden will have a national plan, sure enough, it will look a like like California or Colorado’s plan. There will still be room for local input and local regulations in addition to federal action. High time too! I do not believe that a pandemic is something to leave to the states alone. For that matter, this pandemic is a global crisis begging for global action.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Newsom has been doing a pretty good job for us. Not perfect, but good. He’s made some tough calls and making some people very angry, but he’s doing for the right reasons.
Well Uncle Joe will put a stop to any good (or bad) decisions being made by governors, mayors, school superintendents, and private employers when gets his national covid team set up. Trump has made a few a lot of mistakes, but leaving local authorities in charge of protecting their people is not one of them. Since the feds approve new drugs and medical procedures, they're rightly in charge of funding and fast tracking medical trials, but pretty much everything else should be driven down as local as possible.

We're tightening up here in CO because it's getting bad, but rural areas in KS don't need or deserve the same sort of restrictions we do. The devil's in the details and the details shouldn't be implemented from Washington, but I expect Jo will presume the people have given him a mandate to "fix this deal that Trump messed up".
This was one of the debate topics I thought deserved air time! Sigh. Federal vs. states roles and responsibilities as seen by each candidate--- that would have been calm, cool, and shown the public the different perspectives.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:14 pm
The left is rightfully critical of Christianity and religion.
Thunktank wrote:
You and I don't live in the same America :lol:
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:58 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Oh yes we do! And that’s the crux of the problem.

We also share the same baptism which is also a crux of what is supposed to be a solution.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:58 pm
tuttle wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

We also share the same baptism which is also a crux of what is supposed to be a solution.
How can you say the left is "rightfully critical of Christianity and religion" and then turn around and say that Christianity is supposed to be a solution?

Without putting words in your mouth, I wonder if you mean the left is right to be critical of Christianity as we've seen it played out on the right? In some Christians unquestioning and unwavering support of The Don simply because he has an R next to his name and profess' to be pro-life? Yeah, they're right to be critical of those people.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:37 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:58 pm
tuttle wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

How can you say the left is "rightfully critical of Christianity and religion" and then turn around and say that Christianity is supposed to be a solution?

Without putting words in your mouth, I wonder if you mean the left is right to be critical of Christianity as we've seen it played out on the right? In some Christians unquestioning and unwavering support of The Don simply because he has an R next to his name and profess' to be pro-life? Yeah, they're right to be critical of those people.
For starters, your quoting a quote that was taken out of a context that began with Del’s typical blandishments about “the left” and it’s “persecution” of Christianity. With that background in mind, I countered by using Del’s own assumptions and saying that the left has every right to be critical of Christianity. Meaning particularly of American Evangelical Christianity and a few other smaller subsets that does exactly as you mentioned above. But also because of a long litany of others positions they take on issues that seem to defy truth in various forms. I took the very bold position of assuming that baptism means something that should bring Christians on the American right and left together on at least some shared level, improving our politics. An unfounded assumption on my part indeed!

H.G.Wells

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks for Delsplaining that. :chili:

Seriously, thanks for circling back and sharing your thoughts.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
"What's he gonna do? He gonna wave a magic wand?"

It will be very curious to see what Biden's "national plan" will be.

Meanwhile, I can't fathom how the Left has anything to be rightfully critical about. They got major planks in their own eyes to fix first, like their racism and support for lawless violence.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Newsom's Turkey Troopers

Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am

Del wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm
tuttle wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Meanwhile, I can't fathom how the Left has anything to be rightfully critical about. They got major planks in their own eyes to fix first, like their racism and support for lawless violence.
This is what worries me. I don't think whatever Jo does will stop the virus any sooner than what we're doing now, but will cost billions more.
BUT - he'll be our president and I pray he and his team come up with a more effective plan. Because it's not about The Don or Jo, it's about us.

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

This is what worries me. I don't think whatever Jo does will stop the virus any sooner than what we're doing now, but will cost billions more.
BUT - he'll be our president and I pray he and his team come up with a more effective plan. Because it's not about The Don or Jo, it's about us.
It's Joe.. Jo is a she and didn't garner very many votes. I don't know what her position was on COVID. Maybe I should check it out.

<looking>

Looks like Jo was/is for 1) access to testing; 2) access to test products; 3) responsible government economic considerations-- she's aware of the long term cost.

I like that-- my complaint is that anyone of the government elected positions (in my chain of representation) they only talk about what the government can give. I fuss at times on social media back at them (like they listen) that they need to identify the cost or the long term plans. They can talk about relief but they had better be looking at the balance sheets and convey that too if they don't want my fussing (of if they want my vote)- fiscal consideration of responsibility even if the time to address isn't right now.

I agree with you FredS-- spending without review of impact or future repayment will be a negative feedback loop on the country and individuals in it trying to make a living. More spending isn't going to stop COVID... looks like the vaccines may give some ray of hopes for those who despair.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:34 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

It's Joe.. Jo is a she and didn't garner very many votes. I don't know what her position was on COVID. Maybe I should check it out.

<looking>

Looks like Jo was/is for 1) access to testing; 2) access to test products; 3) responsible government economic considerations-- she's aware of the long term cost.

I like that-- my complaint is that anyone of the government elected positions (in my chain of representation) they only talk about what the government can give. I fuss at times on social media back at them (like they listen) that they need to identify the cost or the long term plans. They can talk about relief but they had better be looking at the balance sheets and convey that too if they don't want my fussing (of if they want my vote)- fiscal consideration of responsibility even if the time to address isn't right now.

I agree with you FredS-- spending without review of impact or future repayment will be a negative feedback loop on the country and individuals in it trying to make a living. More spending isn't going to stop COVID... looks like the vaccines may give some ray of hopes for those who despair.
Our problem is the media and Democrats who traffic in despair. They aren't going to give that up.

Consider how Gov. Cuomo would rather cast his doubts on "Trump's vaccine" than rejoice in a technological miracle achieved through government/corporate cooperation.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:11 am

If we're going to keep this thread from getting locked or moved to where I and others won't be able to participate or read it, maybe we should save blame and opinions about the failures of the left or right for the opt-in forums and use this thread to report local Covid conditions.

I for one would like to continue to know how other CPSers and their communities are doing.

In that vein ...

The college here seems to have a pretty good handle on controlling the situation, but that has meant returning to more severe restrictions.

Given the local rise in the numbers of infected and hospitalized, the community, likewise, is doing reasonably well - albeit with increased restrictions. Our hospitalizations are way up, but ICU numbers remain manageable. Restrictions are likely to become more severe as the positivity rate climbs.

Currently, our county is at the highest level of "Safer at Home" before stay at home orders are issued again.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:11 am
If we're going to keep this thread from getting locked or moved to where I and others won't be able to participate or read it, maybe we should save blame and opinions about the failures of the left or right for the opt-in forums and use this thread to report local Covid conditions.

I for one would like to continue to know how other CPSers and their communities are doing.

In that vein ...

The college here seems to have a pretty good handle on controlling the situation, but that has meant returning to more severe restrictions.

Given the local rise in the numbers of infected and hospitalized, the community, likewise, is doing reasonably well - albeit with increased restrictions. Our hospitalizations are way up, but ICU numbers remain manageable. Restrictions are likely to become more severe as the positivity rate climbs.

Currently, our county is at the highest level of "Safer at Home" before stay at home orders are issued again.

Here in Wisconsin: Let's talk about reality first, and then government...

The virus is definitely moving through, and people are aware of it. Everyone knows someone who has it now. Traffic is down, and people are wearing masks when they have to go out.

The current voluntary behavior is rather similar to the fake shut-down that we had last March. However, the kids are back in most of the schools... (except public schools in a few Blue Counties, where the Teachers Unions made sure that they did not open up until after the election).

The general mood is okay. People understand that we can't get over a flu season until after the flu has passed. There is a fringe of healthy people who are genuinely afraid, but most people view this as a welcome development that will allow us to return to normal sometime soon.

As far as government action:

In Wisconsin, our Democrat governor and out Republican legislature are both stupid politicians. Madison is lead by the most egregious sort of progressive activist Democrats (like in California).

So.... this week, for the first time since the pandemic started, our governor has asked to meet with the Republican leadership of the state house and senate. I don't know what they'll talk about. But the Wisconsin Supreme Court told the governor that his power to issue emergency orders regarding this pandemic expired months ago, and he needs to legislature's consent to do anything more.

Our progressive county has closed all public schools. They tried to command all of the private schools to close -- the weekend before we planned to open, right?! We were ready for their anti-Christian shenanigans, and got an induction from the state Supreme Court allowing us to open.

Our private schools are bursting with refugees from public school shut-down.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Here in the KC metro things are starting to get tense again. KC and a couple counties KC is in just made the emergency orders more strict, which take effect Friday:

-All indoor gatherings limited to 10 people

-indoor venues (ie. restaurants and bars, event spaces) can have 50% of capacity and have to close at 10pm

-masks mandated indoors with more than one person in the room, outdoors if social distancing cannot occur

-gatherings of more than 10 can request a waiver (ie. weddings/funerals)

-The one wise change from last time is that now all regular community occurrences (ie church, sports, school activities) are exempt from the 10 person limit.

Thankfully I still live in a county that never issued a lockdown or a mandate, but I work and go to church in the restrictive counties, so I encounter the effects every day.

The exemptions are wise, but there are still some goofy things, like the 10pm curfew. Outdoor masking is dumb.

My dentist told me this morning that his county (on the KS side) has an up to $500 fine for violators, and that the sheriff has refused to enforce it. He said there are currently legal wranglings in an effort to force the sheriff to enforce the law. I haven't seen any reporting on that, but my dentist does good work on my teeth so I'll take him at his word.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Nothing good to report from Minnesota, Covid or otherwise.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Fortunately, despite a re tightening of lockdown restrictions, our churches are still allowed to meet at 25% capacity. Unfortunately, we've had our first family of parishioners come down with it- the adults being hit pretty hard, but no hospitalizations required.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Just announced ...

Our county is going to “level red” Friday.
“Stay at Home.”

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Just announced ...

“Stay at Home.”
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Just announced ...

“Stay at Home.”
I suspect our purple tier is your level red.
Currently:

Moving to “Red” Friday.
“Durango Herald” wrote: With a continued skyrocketing surge in COVID-19 cases in La Plata County, more restrictive measures are set to take effect Friday to limit the virus’ spread at a time health experts say is a critical moment in the pandemic.

Among the more notable changes, restaurants will be closed to indoor dining but will still be allowed to offer takeout and delivery, and the capacity limit for gyms will be reduced from 25% to 10%. The more restrictive order also prohibits in-person social gatherings with people outside their households, in any setting – a week before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Gov. Jared Polis said at a news conference Tuesday the state of Colorado is reporting an estimated 6,000 new cases a day, with more than 1,300 people hospitalized because of complications from COVID-19.

As a result, hospitals are struggling to meet the demand for care, a moment elected officials and medical professionals have feared since March when public health orders were first enacted to “flatten the curve.”

“This trend cannot continue of the increase we’ve seen in the last few weeks,” Polis said. “We in Colorado need to act to stop this exponential growth to save lives and save our economy.”
Last edited by durangopipe on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.