Birds of the Sonoran Desert

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Birds of the Sonoran Desert

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:47 am

I am not what one would call a "birder" and definitely not an ornithologist, and I don't even own a pair of binoculars. But I have enjoyed watching the large variety of birds that come to the big ceramic water bowl I have set atop the large clay chiminea (Spanish for chimney) just outside my Arizona Room. My next door neighbors always have a lot of feed out for them so there is a super abundance of birds now I really enjoy watching as I smoke my pipe during evening happy hour. This time of year I have to refill that bowl 3 times a day, so they are drinking about a gallon a day. All this has gotten me interested to identify the many different species.

Here is a good link to the birds of our SW Arizona Sonoran Desert. I'll be revisiting this thread in order to feature a particular bird and its unique characteristics. First is the Verdin, and it appears to be perched on a Mesquite tree twig.

http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/fiel ... esert.html

A Verdin is a very small bird and among the most common and characteristic species inhabiting the Sonoran Desert. The overall color is a pale gray, but notice the splash of yellow on the face and head, also the small patch of brick red on the shoulder. Year-round Resident - No Migration
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Re: Birds of the Sonoran Desert

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am

That is cool.

Btw, you are what we “birders” call a “bird watcher.” When you finally get a pair of binoculars, which I think you should. Then also leave your property to see birds, then you will be a “birder.”
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:46 am

In the last week the two species of birds I’ve enjoyed in the nature preserve by my home are the:

Blue Grosbeak:

Hooded Oriole:

I deliberately went looking for them a few weeks ago as I enjoy finding them each nesting season. They’re frequent enough to find each year without being so common that it’s easy to find them.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:29 pm

I hope you get a picture of a wild tarantula hawk for us.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:32 pm

The Ajo Goose is mostly docile but may become dangerous if its truck is threatened.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:32 pm
The Ajo Goose is mostly docile but may become dangerous if its truck is threatened.
Mostly peaceful....

"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm
coco wrote:
Mostly peaceful....

They are certainly a large demonstrative bird. Nothing more thrilling than the unmistakable sound of a near to the ground "V" formation of honk, honk, honking Canada Geese.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm
Del wrote:
coco wrote:
Mostly peaceful....

They are certainly a large demonstrative bird. Nothing more thrilling than the unmistakable sound of a near to the ground "V" formation of honk, honk, honking Canada Geese.
Indeed.
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:48 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:46 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm
Del wrote:
coco wrote:
Mostly peaceful....

Indeed.
You boys ever have sex?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:14 pm

CPS Gold.
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:14 pm
CPS Gold.
We have a lot of Lessor Goldfinches around here too.

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am

We have some birds come by.... and some watchers:

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:15 am

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am

Do your cats all make the chirping, chattering sounds while watching?

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:18 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:15 am
gaining_age wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am

Do your cats all make the chirping, chattering sounds while watching?
Yes.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Gambel's Quail
These active birds travel in groups of several to more than a dozen prefering to run along the ground to flying. During breeding season(s) the males often call from a conspicuous perch. The sound is dear to naturalists who enjoy hiking and studying the Sonoran Desert. Non-migrating, Year-round Resident

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:06 pm
Gambel's Quail
These active birds travel in groups of several to more than a dozen prefering to run along the ground to flying. During breeding season(s) the males often call from a conspicuous perch. The sound is dear to naturalists who enjoy hiking and studying the Sonoran Desert. Non-migrating, Year-round Resident

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:06 pm
Gambel's Quail
Del, you beat me to it.

The roadrunner is one of the major icons of the Southwest Deserts and is more at home in lusher areas where its success as a predator is higher. It can be found on the flood plains of major rivers and in open areas adjacent to chaparral vegetation. The roadrunner is especially common in agricultural areas and on the fringes of urban residential areas where it can hunt on the ground for an abundance of rodents, lizards, grasshoppers and young birds. In some areas they have developed a taste and a knack for catching fledgling house sparrows. The roadrunner is also legendary for its ability to outsmart and out maneuver a rattlesnake.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm

Roadrunner vs Diamondback Rattlesnake

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:52 am

Cactus Wren -- Year-round Resident - Summer Breeder

The State Bird of Arizona is one of the signature birds found in the Sonoran Desert. The boisterous raspy calls are unique. It is common in Upland Sonoran Scrub where there is more vegetation in the form of succulent cacti and shrubs. Low creosote deserts on other hand support very few Cactus Wrens, and then only along washes with desert trees.

Cactus Wrens build multiple nests but lay eggs in only one. This might be a strategy to confuse nest-robbing predators such as King Snakes. Nests are typically built within a heavily spined cactus. Wrens eat mostly spiders and insects that they extract from crevices. But Cactus Wrens will also eat fruit and even food scraps at picnic tables.

The loud, raspy call of the Cactus Wren is one of the most characteristic sounds of the Sonoran Desert.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:08 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm
Roadrunner vs Diamondback Rattlesnake

They taste like chicken.
The snake. Not the bird. :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year