Birds of the Sonoran Desert

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Re: Birds of the Sonoran Desert

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Canyon Towhee

These large sparrows are especially common on well-vegetated bajadas and along steep canyons in the foothills of the mountains surrounding the Sonoran Desert. In the early morning and at dusk they finally show themselves from a tree or boulder and give their distinctive call. Otherwise they are wary and mostly very obscure. They hunt for insects and hidden seeds by kicking leaves and pebbles while skulking behind desert trees and dense shrubs.

During the winter months or severe, extended droughts Canyon Towhee's may move into gardens in the cities and join their cousins, the Abert's Towhee.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 am

While I was watering pre-emmergent herbicide into the gravel on my front yard yesterday morning I noticed a Roadrunner in my next door neighbor's driveway. I gently talked to it and it jumped up on the fence into my yard and walked over to me, within about six feet. Tilted his head left and right to eye ball me. What a marvelous creature. They stand about 14 or so inches tall.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 am
While I was watering pre-emmergent herbicide into the gravel on my front yard yesterday morning I noticed a Roadrunner in my next door neighbor's driveway. I gently talked to it and it jumped up on the fence into my yard and walked over to me, within about six feet. Tilted his head left and right to eye ball me. What a marvelous creature. They stand about 14 or so inches tall.

Did you take that picture?

Btw, you are a full on birdwatcher now.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:24 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Goose55 wrote:

No, I googled it. If I had run to get my camera he'd be gone by the time I returned. I use a standard flip phone and I'm sure the camera in it isn't very good.

I like the way the Roadrunner styles his hair. Dyed blue, too. Kewl. :lol:

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:24 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Goose55 wrote:

No, I googled it. If I had run to get my camera he'd be gone by the time I returned. I use a standard flip phone and I'm sure the camera in it isn't very good.

I like the way the Roadrunner styles his hair. Dyed blue, too. Kewl. :lol:
I was really impressed with the shallow field and clarity. I figured you got yourself a telephoto lens and marriage license with it by now. And yes, those roadrunners are kewl. I’ve enjoyed them lots over the years. It was one of the few creatures that would live near the barracks in 29 Palms when I was stationed there. I still remember watching them catch lizards from the second story walkway I lived on at the time. That was a nice thing under the circumstances. :lol:

You should go birding out near Sierra Vista and Green Valley area sometime this fall. The Oak and Pine woodlands and desert grasslands interweave with Sonoran desert sections providing access to many ecosystems in one day. I might be heading to the Sonoran soon to, do some birding of various kinds.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

daveinlax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by daveinlax » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:36 am

Great Looking Photo's. Here's a not so great picture of one of the two Great Horned Owls that roost in a neighbors tree in Green Valley in SoAZ. We're not that good with our bird identification but we enjoy engaging with experienced birders when we go to out to Madera Canyon or Paton's a couple of times a winter. :pipe:

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:07 pm

daveinlax wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:36 am
Great Looking Photo's. Here's a not so great picture of one of the two Great Horned Owls that roost in a neighbors tree in Green Valley in SoAZ. We're not that good with our bird identification but we enjoy engaging with experienced birders when we go to out to Madera Canyon or Paton's a couple of times a winter. :pipe:
Nice one, Dave. I love the sound of the hoot, hoot, hoot of an Owl. Its such a relaxing sound.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Lesser Goldfinch

Lesser Goldfinches are fairly common in well-vegetated washes and canyons in the Sonoran Desert. Their lovely melodious singing often alerts the naturalist to their presence. The strong but sharply pointed bill is useful for both extracting seeds and shelling them.

Goldfinches are small, smaller than a common house sparrow. Male Lesser Goldfinches have a black cap and a brighter yellow chest.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Ash-throated Flycatcher

Ash-throated Flycatcher can be encountered in the Sonoran Desert all year round, but are most common in spring and again in fall. In summer the bulk of the population shifts north across western North America. Few are present in Arizona Dec-Jan when most have found insect-hunting better to the south in Mexico. In summer a very similar, heavier-billed, bird, the Brown-crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus tyrannulus) is more likely to be found in the Sonoran Desert.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:11 am

Brown-crested Flycatcher

Brown-crested Flycatchers are fairly common birds in the Sonoran Desert during the late springs and summer months especially on well-vegetated bajadas and in riparian habitats. They look similar to the Ash-throated Flycatcher but a heavier bill and have more extensive rufous on the top side of the tail. The return of their sharp raspy call in mid spring is a sure sign that hot summer weather is on the way.

These are flycatchers, for sure, catching many flying insects from mid air. But they are also adept at gleaning insects from vegetation or even the ground, often without landing. Cicadas are an important food item, but they prefer the silent, but egg-laden females. Male cicadas let loose with a tirade of buzzing when caught and the flycatchers often release them in response.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:24 pm

Say's Phoebe

Unlike most flycatchers in the Sonoran Desert region, this one is more likely to be encountered during the cooler late fall through winter and spring months. During summer most migrate north to the northern United States and western Canada. They are partial to riparian-edges, open pastures, and in urban environments, flood catchment basins. Like most flycatchers, they have an alert, upright posture and hunt by watching for insects flying by, sally out to catch one and then return to the original perch. The brown-yellow shade of the belly is distinctive. They are common at Reach 11 Park in Phoenix from November through May or June.

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:46 pm

One of my favorite threads, keep 'em coming.

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am

Black Phoebe

The black phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) is a passerine bird in the tyrant-flycatcher family. It breeds from southwest Oregon and California south through Central and South America. It occurs year-round throughout most of its range and migrates less than the other birds in its genus, though its northern populations are partially migratory. Six subspecies are commonly recognized, although two are occasionally combined as a separate species, the white-winged phoebe.

The black phoebe has predominantly black plumage, with a white belly and undertail coverts. The sexes are identical in color, and juveniles have brown feather tips and brown wing-bars. Its song is a repeated tee-hee, tee ho.

When one of these Black Phoebe lands on the water bowl outside my Arizona Room I am always amazed at how very small it is, and that they don't evaporate in our most horrid hot days. They are only 4 - 1/2 inches long, beak to tip of tail and weight what? 1/4 ounce?

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Western Kingbird -- Spring and Fall Migrant - a few stay and breed in summer

Western Kingbirds like open places and they have come to also like very much utility wires and poles. From the high perch they search the air for flying insects, including rather large ones. After targeting a bug they fly out after it, snatch it mid-air, and then return to their perch. They might smash the insect against a hard surface before swallowing it.

The head and black are gray, the chin and upper chest white, and the lower belly lemon yellow. The longish black tail has two narrow white feathers along the outer edges.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:42 pm

daveinlax wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:36 am
Howdy and welcome!

Are you still up nort? Where in Wisconsin do you call home?
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

daveinlax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by daveinlax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 am

:yawn: :pipe:
Del wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Howdy and welcome!

Thanks and yes we are here in LaCrosse, WI until November. :pipe:

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:58 am

Black Throated Sparrow

A beautiful little bird that can sing beautifully too. Common throughout desert habitats of the southwestern United States and ranging into Mexico. The jet-black throat and two contrasting white facial stripes are distinctive.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am

daveinlax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 am
Del wrote:

Howdy and welcome!

Snowbird?

I need an excuse to get to LaCrosse more often. It has been a few years since I visited the Shrine.

Are you familiar with Fr. James Altman?
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

daveinlax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by daveinlax » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 am

Del wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am
daveinlax wrote:
Del wrote:

Howdy and welcome!

Snowbird?

I need an excuse to get to LaCrosse more often. It has been a few years since I visited the Shrine.

Yes! I love Arizona and am active in a pipe club up in PHX.

I just back from two weeks away visiting Yellowstone, Glacier and The Black Hills and am catching up with the local news. LoL! It seems Altman went to the Ray Burke school of christian communications. :pipe:

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 pm

daveinlax wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 am
Del wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am
daveinlax wrote:
Del wrote:

Howdy and welcome!

Snowbird?

Yes! I love Arizona and am active in a pipe club up in PHX.

I just back from two weeks away visiting Yellowstone, Glacier and The Black Hills and am catching up with the local news. LoL! It seems Altman went to the Ray Burke school of christian communications. :pipe:
I'm afraid so. If you courageously admonish sinners in public like that, you will be persecuted.

Cigarson got married in July. They honeymooned in Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Black Hills. Perhaps you saw them!

(I have two adult sons, known on CPS as "Cigarson" and "Pipeson" -- as they were teenage smokers when I signed on.)