Will you take a Covid 19 vaccine?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Re: Will you take a Covid 19 vaccine?

Post by tuttle » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:27 am

Mocking conspiracy theories is one thing, but what about people who have real concerns about how the scientific community, corporations, and government have exploited the situation? Can one not be concerned over the loss of freedoms without being written off as a conspiracy theorist?

I think COVID is real, and very dangerous to some people, and yet I distrust Fauci, not because of a conspiracy but because of what he has said. And that goes for pretty much any other experts in the scientific community who want to dictate how we should live while also believing boys can be girls, that guns and racism are a public health threats, and that abortion is health care.

I think that masking and social distancing have some kind of effect in preventing the spread, maybe not as much as others, but I do see it, and yet I think the mandates are more theater than science and often an overreach and abuse of power.

I think vaccines are capable in slowing the spread, and yet I don't want to inject myself with something that was rushed and I have qualms about the mRNA tech to the point that I don't want to get a vaccine.

I don't think the virus was created in order to remove liberties or create a new world order or to persecute Christians, and yet I do see steps taken in all of those directions, with nary anything to stop them from happening, and using COVID as the catalyst for it.

I also think liberty is more important than COVID restrictions which leads me to stand on certain principles that dissent from popular opinion. I'm for anyone who wants to get vaxed or mask up. I'm not for forcing others to do it against their will.

Is any of that considered a conspiracy theory?
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:27 am
Mocking conspiracy theories is one thing, but what about people who have real concerns about how the scientific community, corporations, and government have exploited the situation? Can one not be concerned over the loss of freedoms without being written off as a conspiracy theorist?

I think COVID is real, and very dangerous to some people, and yet I distrust Fauci, not because of a conspiracy but because of what he has said. And that goes for pretty much any other experts in the scientific community who want to dictate how we should live while also believing boys can be girls, that guns and racism are a public health threats, and that abortion is health care.

I think that masking and social distancing have some kind of effect in preventing the spread, maybe not as much as others, but I do see it, and yet I think the mandates are more theater than science and often an overreach and abuse of power.

I think vaccines are capable in slowing the spread, and yet I don't want to inject myself with something that was rushed and I have qualms about the mRNA tech to the point that I don't want to get a vaccine.

I don't think the virus was created in order to remove liberties or create a new world order or to persecute Christians, and yet I do see steps taken in all of those directions, with nary anything to stop them from happening, and using COVID as the catalyst for it.

I also think liberty is more important than COVID restrictions which leads me to stand on certain principles that dissent from popular opinion. I'm for anyone who wants to get vaxed or mask up. I'm not for forcing others to do it against their will.

The problem you run into with the "do it or don't do it" argument is that its only being made by the "do it or don't" side.

The masks don't work unless everyone masks. Six foot distancing doesn't work unless everyone six foot distances. Vaccines don't work unless everyone is vaccinated. There is no liberty in a strategy that only works if everyone participates. "Masks will never be mandated" masks mandated. "Six foot regulations and lockdowns will never be regulated" six foot and lockdowns mandated. "Vaccines will never be mandated" coming to a city near you!

If masks, six foot placing and vaccines work then the only reason we still have Covid is because of your "do it or don't" approach. You don't have the liberty to choose one way or the other.

To put it in the words of CNN political analyst, Zachary B. Wolf
The "liberty" promised by the Declaration of Independence is interfering with the "life" and the "pursuit of happiness" in ways the Founding Fathers could never have imagined.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

“Liberal Christianity” may be more appealing to the masses than “conservative Christianity,” -TNLawPiper

I am become meme,
Destroyer of shorts -Elon

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:58 am

jruegg wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 am
AFRS wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:09 pm
J&J isn't the only one with blood clotting side-effects:
https://www.rt.com/news/521313-pvt-bloo ... mpaign=RSS
Not sure RT is a trusted news source. I think the article's author is conflating numbers from one medical issue (CVT) with another (PVT). The issue with Johnson and Johnson is Cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) (https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... ccine.html). But the RT article linked above focuses on PVT. Reading the source material from Oxford (https://osf.io/a9jdq/) and it seems the likelihood of clotting (any clotting) from a vaccine (any vaccine) is negligible compared to those who contract COVID-19. Seems the point is, you're much more likely to get either CVT or PVT with COVID than any of the vaccines.

From the Oxford* article I linked above, I believe the numbers are:

Cerebral Venous Thrombosis (CVT)
COVID = 39 per million
Moderna/Pfizer = 4 per million
AstraZeneca = 5 per million

Portal Vein Thrombosis (PVT)
COVID = 436 per million
Moderna/Pfizer = 98 per million
AstraZeneca = 1.6 per million

*Of course, Oxford's research here is not without possible bias and/or conflicting interest since the AstraZeneca vaccine is technically the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
Last year in a conversation with a friend and colleague in the UK, I mentioned that it appeared that Oxford was making headway with a vaccine. He replied, "Thank God it's Oxford. If it was Cambridge we'd never hear the end of it."
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 am
tuttle wrote:

The problem you run into with the "do it or don't do it" argument is that its only being made by the "do it or don't" side.

The masks don't work unless everyone masks. Six foot distancing doesn't work unless everyone six foot distances. Vaccines don't work unless everyone is vaccinated. There is no liberty in a strategy that only works if everyone participates. "Masks will never be mandated" masks mandated. "Six foot regulations and lockdowns will never be regulated" six foot and lockdowns mandated. "Vaccines will never be mandated" coming to a city near you!

If masks, six foot placing and vaccines work then the only reason we still have Covid is because of your "do it or don't" approach. You don't have the liberty to choose one way or the other.

The "liberty" promised by the Declaration of Independence is interfering with the "life" and the "pursuit of happiness" in ways the Founding Fathers could never have imagined.
Tuttle and Jester ...

I appreciate the serious thought you've put into this, and the time you've taken to write about it seriously. Your questions are legitimate and your concerns are valid.

But it seems that the conversation also attracts some b@tsh!t crazy stuff and it's hard to keep the conversation on a serious level online without the discussion quickly degenerating.

I've decided the only way I can participate in this conversation online is with humor.
I hope you can forgive me for that.

I mean no disrespect.

If we were together, in-person, having a pipe and a beer, I'm certain the conversation would go differently.

Shooting, hunting, fishing, ham radio, etc. are more amenable to online conversations ...
Unless, of course, someone accuses someone else of fetishizing the 1911 or a dry fly fisherman accuses a nymph fisherman of cheating.

:lol:
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:09 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am
Jester wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Tuttle and Jester ...

I appreciate the serious thought you've put into this, and the time you've taken to write about it seriously. Your questions are legitimate and your concerns are valid.

But it seems that the conversation also attracts some b@tsh!t crazy stuff and it's hard to keep the conversation on a serious level online without the discussion quickly degenerating.

I've decided the only way I can participate in this conversation online is with humor.

I mean no disrespect.

If we were together, in-person, having a pipe and a beer, I'm certain the conversation would go differently.

Shooting, hunting, fishing, ham radio, etc. are more amenable to online conversations ...
Unless, of course, someone accuses someone else of fetishizing the 1911 or a dry fly fisherman accuses a nymph fisherman of cheating.

Of course nymph fishing and strike indicators are cheating. duh ...
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:15 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:09 am
durangopipe wrote:
Jester wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Tuttle and Jester ...

I mean no disrespect.

Of course nymph fishing and strike indicators are cheating. duh ...
:D Agreed, but I'd never say it in writing!
Henrik Ibsen

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:25 am

I hate you people.

Dry fly fishing is so easy a 4 year old can do it. Just plop your fly out there and give it a pull when you see a fish eat it.
With a nymph, you actually need to get your imitation down in to the fishes world, not wait for them come up to ours.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:25 am
I hate you people.

Dry fly fishing is so easy a 4 year old can do it. Just plop your fly out there and give it a pull when you see a fish eat it.
With a nymph, you actually need to get your imitation down in to the fishes world, not wait for them come up to ours.
Now we’re getting it on!

It’s the indicator that I protest!
Butt ugly.

Tight line, or sight nymphing - watching for the fin movement or flash of an open mouth, or if the fish is hidden, the dimple where the greased leader breaks the film ...

Or tie the nymph to a hopper. 😄

(Halford and Skues duel at dawn!)
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:40 am

Have we made the trout eligible for vaccines, yet?
Henrik Ibsen

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:47 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:40 am
Trout are immune. In fact their roe is used in the manufacture of the vaccines. Bill Gates owns more than two dozen industrial trout hatcheries in China. I saw it on the internet.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am

durangopipe wrote:
Jester wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Tuttle and Jester ...

I mean no disrespect.

I'm all about humor!

And I didn't quote you directly (though it was your writings that prompted me) because it isn't just you I was thinking of when writing what I did.

I've yet to really engage with anyone online (not just CPS, and actually not just online, in person too!) who holds an opposing view to mine who has not hand-waved my concerns as conspiracy theories or says I'm applying some sort of logical fallacy and refuses to continue the discussion. It happens frequently.

I do agree, many conversations that we have round these parts would be much better in person, but this is the only medium most of us on here will ever have between each other. Unless yer Del who's been everywhere, man. I just find it a little too convenient when the concerns themselves are dismissed as bunk for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual concerns. It strikes me as an avoidance to engage in reality.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am
. . .I do agree, many conversations that we have round these parts would be much better in person, but this is the only medium most of us on here will ever have between each other. . .
^This is legit.^ I'd like to add two things.

When we meet in the real world - when CPS isn't "the only medium most of us on here will ever have between each other" - we don't tend to talk about difficult or divisive issues. We'd rather enjoy our short times together doing things we enjoy. Praying, eating, drinking, and smoking are on the agenda, not poking each other with our sharpened sticks.

BUT, CPS is a 'safe place' to wade through difficult issues. If we have a coffee group or dinner group or church group where we can discuss these difficult things in the real world, we should count ourselves blessed. Most do not have such outlets.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 pm

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:47 am
durangopipe wrote:
Trout are immune. In fact their roe is used in the manufacture of the vaccines. Bill Gates owns more than two dozen industrial trout hatcheries in China. I saw it on the internet.
:D
Henrik Ibsen

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Be careful. The trout are full of tracking chips.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:11 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 am
tuttle wrote:
. . .I do agree, many conversations that we have round these parts would be much better in person, but this is the only medium most of us on here will ever have between each other. . .
^This is legit.^ I'd like to add two things.

When we meet in the real world - when CPS isn't "the only medium most of us on here will ever have between each other" - we don't tend to talk about difficult or divisive issues. We'd rather enjoy our short times together doing things we enjoy. Praying, eating, drinking, and smoking are on the agenda, not poking each other with our sharpened sticks.

BUT, CPS is a 'safe place' to wade through difficult issues. If we have a coffee group or dinner group or church group where we can discuss these difficult things in the real world, we should count ourselves blessed. Most do not have such outlets.
+1

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm

tuttle wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Jester wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Tuttle and Jester ...

I mean no disrespect.

I'm all about humor!

And I didn't quote you directly (though it was your writings that prompted me) because it isn't just you I was thinking of when writing what I did.

I've yet to really engage with anyone online (not just CPS, and actually not just online, in person too!) who holds an opposing view to mine who has not hand-waved my concerns as conspiracy theories or says I'm applying some sort of logical fallacy and refuses to continue the discussion. It happens frequently.

I do agree, many conversations that we have round these parts would be much better in person, but this is the only medium most of us on here will ever have between each other. Unless yer Del who's been everywhere, man. I just find it a little too convenient when the concerns themselves are dismissed as bunk for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual concerns. It strikes me as an avoidance to engage in reality.
No, at least on my part it’s an avoidance of unprofitable, pointless and unnecessary conflict.
I get you, and I respect you, Tuttle.

But a lot of this conversation does (and has) degenerated into unfounded conspiracy theories. Some of them b@tsh!t crazy.
Some sources quoted here are grossly inaccurate and unreliable, and it doesn’t help either the discussion or the public good that they get repeated.

B@tsh!t crazy:

There’s no way to have a worthwhile conversation with such content being offered as contributory.
And in any event it’s not much fun to try.

So, humor, instead:

And you’re not going to trick me into engaging on this topic beyond that.

Henrik Ibsen

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm
B@tsh!t crazy:

I see an equal amount of crazy. The writing on the wall and the dude wearing gloves walking his dog with a mask below his nose like it's making a difference.

But in all likelihood, the graffiti was written as a joke and the dude walking his dog doesn't believe masking works and is just trying to avoid being harassed. The gloves are probably for the turds.

Also people want us to accept straight-faced that this is normal, smart, and even righteous...

and this is insane, stupid, and evil...

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:09 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Be careful. The trout are full of tracking chips.
Fish and tracking chips. Yum.