Will you take a Covid 19 vaccine?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
mont974x4
Dad to Ducks
Dad to Ducks

Re: Will you take a Covid 19 vaccine?

Post by mont974x4 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:46 am

Speaking of shots, I’m out of whiskey.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Thu May 06, 2021 10:51 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 am
Honest question for those who are vaxed: How long do you plan to keep up with the social distancing and masking regulations?
As of 3 days from now, I will be at peak inoculation (2 weeks after second dose of Moderna). Or, as it says on my calendar, "I am invincible."

To answer your question - only as required by law or love. Currently, pretty much only in retail environments, restaurants, etc. I've stopped masking at church unless I'm playing an instrument and therefore attending both services, and then only for first service as we have 2 services: first - masks required (and I honor it, out of love for the brethren), second - masks "strongly encouraged" (but few actually wear them). And I don't wear one on stage either, even for first service.

To be honest, it's been the same personal policy since the beginning. I have no fear of contracting the virus, or for that matter, of dying in general. I don't want it, nor do I seek it through reckless behavior, but I'm not living in fear either. I was right back at restaurants as soon as they re-opened. I never stopped playing pickleball, or going shopping (in what was open), or anything like that. I snuck in a few business trips and client meetings when I could get away with it. I went to church just about every week, sometimes even when it was closed to the general congregation since we still had a live worship band for our live stream (and I was often part of it).

I don't want to give anyone (especially someone vulnerable) the virus, which has been my main motivation for what little caution I have taken. I also realize that not everyone feels like I do, and people are scared. And for some of them, they have good reason to be scared. I generally avoid those situations.

-Andrew

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 am

adauria wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:51 am
I don't want to give anyone (especially someone vulnerable) the virus, which has been my main motivation for what little caution I have taken. I also realize that not everyone feels like I do, and people are scared. And for some of them, they have good reason to be scared. I generally avoid those situations.

-Andrew
This has been my wife and I’s practice. We haven’t taken additional precautions due to my wife’s work in a C19 unit. She has regular stark reminders of taking care around others while keeping in mind what she experiences at work isn’t normative for most people.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems for those who have responded that none of you expect any change in your daily encounters with COVID regulations.

Can I ask another honest question? Do you think there is a point in time or some factor that will cause you to say, enough with the regulations, I'm not wearing a mask anymore, etc?
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Thu May 06, 2021 12:00 pm

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm

I'm not sure wearing a mask has ever been about following government "regulations" for me. I suppose that, inasmuch as shopkeepers require masks in response to government regulations, I comply. But those shopkeepers may very well ask that I wear a mask if they suppose it protects their patrons, employees, and themselves whether the government requires it or not and, like the Dude, I'd abide.

My pastor asks us to wear masks when we're not socially distant - when moving about the building or visiting, unless we're hanging around outside. So I do.

My neighbors wear masks if they want to get up close to visit so I do also. But just walking around the hood or setting on the porch we don't.

My doctor and dentist ask that I wear a mask while I'm in their offices so I do. Same thing at the hospital where I was vaccinated. It's funny - not ha ha funny - that none of the hospital workers wore their masks while eating lunch outside in the courtyard. They didn't social distance either, but sat in groups of 2-6. Of course they were all vaccinated 3 months ago. Mrs FredS works for the same university healthcare system so I know when they were offered.

Besides my immediate family, that's about as social as I get. Let me say this though - anyone who thinks government regulations, of any sort, gives them a pass from actively protecting themselves and their family is an idiot. You do what you do and I do what I do. If that means not asking you into my home because I know you're not as cautious as I am then so be it.
(I know 'cautious' is a loaded word, but I suppose it's better than writing that someone is careless.)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu May 06, 2021 5:46 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:37 am
AnungUnRama wrote:
joegoat wrote:The vaccines are supposed to be nearly 100% effective at protecting the ones that got them. WTF do they care if I get one or not?!?!?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.
Right? Like the handwringers who say the following:

Don't you dare let your unvaccinated kid around my vaccinated kid! Your unvaccinated kid might be carrying something my vaccinated kid will catch!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I say again, this has become a huge experiment to see how quickly and easily the government can control the masses. Mandates were put in place by one person in the name of "a public health emergency." Watch closely for what else that phrase is applied to. I don't care what healthcare decisions y'all make for yourselves. I still love you.

Our local Chesterton Society is reading The Ball and the Cross (originally published as serial chapters in 1905-1906). In the final chapters, Lucifer is posing as Britain's top mental health expert.

Under normal circumstances, an insane individual would be committed to an asylum for safe-keeping and treatment.

Professor Lucifer has persuaded Parliament to pass a public health measure ordering every citizen to undergo psychiatric evaluation. Citizens who are certified sane are given a passport pin to wear which permits them to go freely about their business.

Anyone who isn't politically correct has his sanity revoked by the medical experts and is sent to a guarded camp. Eventually, the camp is full of the few sane people -- those who know the truth.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Thu May 06, 2021 5:46 pm

I'm schedule-- tomorrow.. single shot.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 pm

:bacon: :cheese: :taco: :chili: Woo hoo! Here's an anecdotal story about a very old man who had been vaccinated and went to a country where the pandemic is raging to try to help, but got Covid and died instead. AFRS's point is made y'all. The vaccine doesn't work. He was right all along! I feel like such a fool.

Or maybe it's a story of a very old man, who deliberately put himself in harms way by going to an area where the pandemic is raging and intentionally immersing himself among those who have the disease, to help as many as he could. So yeah, if you're going to do that, at age 81, the vaccine might not protect you. I suppose that doesn't serve the anti-vaxer narrative though.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 pm

mont974x4 wrote:Speaking of shots, I’m out of whiskey.

Hello FredS
May I recommend Evan Williams bottled in bond?

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

mont974x4
Dad to Ducks
Dad to Ducks

Post by mont974x4 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:23 am

joegoat wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:Speaking of shots, I’m out of whiskey.

Hello FredS
May I recommend Evan Williams bottled in bond?

Is this the single dose, or double dose variant?

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 am

I like what C.S. Lewis wrote.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Fri May 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 am

I like what C.S. Lewis wrote.
So do I. I read this a couple of days ago and thought 'how timely'.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Oh BTW calling someone 'anti-vaxer' because they don't want to take an experimental gene-therapy jab, is somewhat akin to calling someone 'anti-meat' because they don't eat spam.

FWIW mRNA injections are not vaccines.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Fri May 07, 2021 1:11 pm

got the 2nd vaccine on the 5th, the only reason I got it is Judy is scheduled for surgery on the 21st and they are more likkely to let me be there because I have gotten the vaccine.
edm
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech
Right wing Conservative and proud of it

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm

mustangii wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:11 pm
got the 2nd vaccine on the 5th, the only reason I got it is Judy is scheduled for surgery on the 21st and they are more likkely to let me be there because I have gotten the vaccine.
edm
I also got the shots because now I can say that I got the shots.

Some day, I'mma gonna wanna do something and someone's gonna care whether I got the shots.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Fri May 07, 2021 2:01 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:46 pm
I'm schedule-- tomorrow.. single shot.
Done... now I'm gonna lie down.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

gravel

Post by gravel » Fri May 07, 2021 2:06 pm

AFRS wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 pm
Oh BTW calling someone 'anti-vaxer' because they don't want to take an experimental gene-therapy jab, is somewhat akin to calling someone 'anti-meat' because they don't eat spam.

FWIW mRNA injections are not vaccines.
There are people I trust to give information regarding vaccines, medicine, and accompanying terminology. I double checked the list and you’re not on it. :-(

gravel

Post by gravel » Fri May 07, 2021 2:06 pm

mustangii wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:11 pm
edm
Praying for Judy.