Will you take a Covid 19 vaccine?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Re: Will you take a Covid 19 vaccine?

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:55 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:36 pm
mont974x4 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:56 pm
durangopipe wrote:I dunno...
Quote from a Wisconsin nurse heard on the news tonight:

“There's nothing political about all these people dying.”
That nurse is either ignorant or naive. Of course it’s political. A bunch of people died because Gov Cuomo wanted votes and made choices based on politics.

Hello FredS
I didn’t realize that Cuomo was the governor of NY and Wisconsin.
Shame on him! That’s illegal. I think.

She just seemed absolutely overwhelmed and near tears because of all of the death she was suddenly experiencing in her ER.
It's ok, boys. You can BOTH be idiots. There's no need to fight.
It's starting to look a little like bullying.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:35 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 pm
I dunno...
Quote from a Wisconsin nurse heard on the news tonight:

“There's nothing political about all these people dying.”
There's nothing political about all these people not dying either.

And yet...
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:11 am

There's a lot to consider on this one. I'll be like the Ents. Not too hasty.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:46 am

Just trying to get the pulse of the forum at this point in the pandemic.
I think I’ve got a sense (at least from those who choose to comment).

Thanks.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:46 am

Thanks.
Oh, man. I hope you didnt get infected! :D :lol:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am
durangopipe wrote:

Thanks.
Oh, man. I hope you didnt get infected! :D :lol:
Cough, cough.
Who me?
Cough, cough.
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm

durangopipe wrote:

Thanks.
I will eventually. I’ll let a few higher need folks go first.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Just trying to get the pulse of the forum
The forum has a pulse? I think you're doing it wrong.

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:02 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:54 pm
The vaccine is baloney or they have been lying to us to keep us oppressed intentionally.

They said immunity from the active Covid virus only lasts a few weeks. That's active immunity. Throughout the entirety of the history of vaccines and immunology, active immunity has provided better immunity than passive immunity.

Vaccine = passive immunity.

So, either they are lying to us that immunity from active disease only lasts a few weeks (in order to keep us scared) or the vaccine will only provide immunity for three weeks as well and therefor is relatively useless.

All that being said, I will likely be mandated to take the vaccine in order to keep my job. If not for that, I abso-freakin-lutely would not take it.
I’m not so sure. The CDC says vaccines give active immunity, which can last up to a lifetime (e.g., polio vaccine, chickenpox vaccine), whereas passive immunity occurs when someone is given antibodies their body did not create. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/immunity-types.htm
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:02 pm
SlowToke wrote:
The vaccine is baloney or they have been lying to us to keep us oppressed intentionally.

They said immunity from the active Covid virus only lasts a few weeks. That's active immunity. Throughout the entirety of the history of vaccines and immunology, active immunity has provided better immunity than passive immunity.

So, either they are lying to us that immunity from active disease only lasts a few weeks (in order to keep us scared) or the vaccine will only provide immunity for three weeks as well and therefor is relatively useless.

All that being said, I will likely be mandated to take the vaccine in order to keep my job. If not for that, I abso-freakin-lutely would not take it.
I’m not so sure. The CDC says vaccines give active immunity, which can last up to a lifetime (e.g., polio vaccine, chickenpox vaccine), whereas passive immunity occurs when someone is given antibodies their body did not create. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/immunity-types.htm
I stand corrected. I was confusing active and passive with live, live attenuated, and inactive vaccines. The strongest immune response, however, still typically comes from exposure to active viruses. Some vaccines do not create strong immune responses and their effectiveness can vary for that reason. Unfortunately, with viruses that evolve rapidly like influenza and corona viruses, vaccines only protect you for a few months.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:40 am

+JMJ+

Use of Pfizer, Moderna COVID-19 vaccines is morally acceptable, say bishops [In-Depth]
The word "COVID-19" is reflected in a vaccine drop that dangles from a syringe needle in this illustration photo Nov. 9, 2020. (Credit: Dado Ruvic/Reuters via CNS)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — While confusion has arisen in recent days in the media over “the moral permissibility” of using the COVID-19 vaccines just announced by Pfizer Inc. and Moderna, it is not “immoral to be vaccinated with them,” the chairmen of the U.S. bishops’ doctrine and pro-life committees said Nov. 23.

Bishop Kevin J. Rhoades of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Indiana, chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Doctrine, and Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann of Kansas City, Kansas, chairman of the USCCB Committee on Pro-Life Activities, addressed the issue in a memo to their brother bishops.

A copy of the memo was obtained by Catholic News Service Nov. 24.

“Neither the Pfizer nor the Moderna vaccine involved the use of cell lines that originated in fetal tissue taken from the body of an aborted baby at any level of design, development or production,” the two prelates said. “They are not completely free from any connection to abortion, however, as both Pfizer and Moderna made use of a tainted cell line for one of the confirmatory lab tests of their products.

“There is thus a connection, but it is relatively remote,” they continued. “Some are asserting that if a vaccine is connected in any way with tainted cell lines, then it is immoral to be vaccinated with them. This is an inaccurate portrayal of Catholic moral teaching.”

Rhoades and Naumann cited three Vatican documents that “treat the question of tainted vaccines”: the 2005 study by the Pontifical Academy for Life, “Moral Reflections on Vaccines Prepared from Cells Derived From Aborted Human Fetuses”; paragraphs nos. 34-35 in the 2008 “Instruction on Certain Bioethical Questions” (“Dignitatis Personae”) by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; and the 2017 “Note on Italian Vaccine Issue,” by the Pontifical Academy for Life.

“These documents all point to the immorality of using tissue taken from an aborted child for creating cell lines,” they explained. “They also make distinctions in terms of the moral responsibility of the various actors involved, from those involved in designing and producing a vaccine to those receiving the vaccine.

“Most importantly,” they added, “they all make it clear that, at the level of the recipient, it is morally permissible to accept vaccination when there are no alternatives and there is a serious risk to health.”

[…]

Rhoades and Archbishop did not point to any specific media outlets claiming the moral unsuitability of the vaccines. However, after Pfizer and Moderna announced their vaccines, at least two Catholic bishops warned against using them, saying they are morally tainted.

[…]

In its 2005 study, the Pontifical Academy for Life said Catholics have a responsibility to push for the creation of morally just, alternative vaccines, but it also said they should not sacrifice the common good of public health because there is no substitute.

“Catholics can have confidence if there is a great need and there are no alternatives, they are not forbidden from using these new vaccines,” [John Brehany, director of institutional relations at the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia,] told “Current News,” but he added: “There is much the church calls us to do in seeking out alternatives and advocating for alternatives.”

Catholics “need to provide the urgency and advocacy” to get pharmaceutical companies to understand there are alternatives to using fetal cell lines to develop vaccines, “so they can see the need for this,” he added, echoing the Pontifical Academy for Life.

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

I stand corrected. I was confusing active and passive with live, live attenuated, and inactive vaccines. The strongest immune response, however, still typically comes from exposure to active viruses. Some vaccines do not create strong immune responses and their effectiveness can vary for that reason. Unfortunately, with viruses that evolve rapidly like influenza and corona viruses, vaccines only protect you for a few months.
Now that we've had the virus, we shouldn't be as afraid to comply with the vaccine mandate... right?
=======================================

In reality, I expect the vaccine to be more effective than masks. All of the mask-believers should be okay with vaccine.

In politics, our leaders need some sort of cover to claim that they saved us from the virus. The mask mandates are their current political cover.... we won't get passed the mask mandates until we let the politicians believe that they have given us a better mandate to obey. If we want our lives to get back to normal, we need to let our petty tyrants tell us that we are back to normal.

I don't see any way around it.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

mont974x4
Dad to Ducks
Dad to Ducks

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Del wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

Now that we've had the virus, we shouldn't be as afraid to comply with the vaccine mandate... right?
=======================================

In reality, I expect the vaccine to be more effective than masks. All of the mask-believers should be okay with vaccine.

In politics, our leaders need some sort of cover to claim that they saved us from the virus. The mask mandates are their current political cover.... we won't get passed the mask mandates until we let the politicians believe that they have given us a better mandate to obey. If we want our lives to get back to normal, we need to let our petty tyrants tell us that we are back to normal.

I don't see any way around it.
At least in Montana they have said the vaccine won’t be mandatory. I still have no intention of taking it.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 pm

I have a 99.997% chance of surviving Covid-19. The vaccine is 90% effective. What do you think?
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

“Liberal Christianity” may be more appealing to the masses than “conservative Christianity,” -TNLawPiper

I am become meme,
Destroyer of shorts -Elon

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:07 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 pm
I have a 99.997% chance of surviving Covid-19. The vaccine is 90% effective. What do you think?
Note: this is a math question with a math answer

Is this related to the flat butt thread? Yes, suspenders and belt significantly lower the chances of embarrassing bare ass moments.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 pm
Not enough information too calculate.

If you catch covid, you have 99.997% chance of surviving.

If you take the vaccine, you have 90% chance of acquiring (temporary?) immunity.

To calculate your chance of surviving the entire pandemic, I would need to know your probability of catching the virus if you do not take the vaccine.

Has anyone researched that?

(Probably not. Most experts are just guessing at all of this stuff, anyway.)

To be honest, all of this effort to "slow the spread" of the virus, as if they have any control. Why not "stop the spread"? Or maybe "speed up the spread" -- so we can get through this economic stress more quickly? I haven't seen any data or other evidence of actual "science" in any of these emergency political measures.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:07 pm

SlowToke wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

Which is why I have contracted Covid twice now. More than my fair share if you ask me.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:15 am

michigander wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Thanks.
I will eventually. I’ll let a few higher need folks go first.
That is ptetty much where I'm at.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:08 pm

I'm leaning against taking it unless I learn some new facts. I got a physical Monday and the nurse said there was no way she was taking it voluntarily. She will probably be forced to take it to keep her job though. China is already talking about bar coding people that have been vaccinated. Not to get all fundamentalist here but I just don't like the sound of that at all.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:55 pm

Vaccines are for people who want to get a vaccine.

If I were traveling to the tropics and facing likely exposure to dangerous virus that my body has never met before.... I'd take all the recommended vaccines. I am persuaded that this is good for me.

I don't normally seek out seasonal flu shots. I am not persuaded that I need to get a covid shot. I am still young and healthy. I have already endured the virus, and it shows little threat to me.

I would deeply resent being forced to take this vaccine. Just because I don't like be forced to do stuff.

But I might just take the vaccine, if it means that we can stop acting like we are all so stupid-scared of everything.

Or I might just tell everyone that I had the vaccine, so I can stop wearing a silly mask.