Page 2 of 2

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:05 pm
by coco
AnungUnRama wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:02 am
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:17 pm
And yes, most power tools are made in China, but not all those tools are created equal....

For example, Techtronics' best tools are called "Milwaukee," their middle line is "Ryobi," and their budget line is "Rigid." The three lines are in no way identical, though there are times in which parts from one may fit into another.

I needed a few parts for a Ryobi blower which were unavailable. I got some Homelite parts (another Techtronics brand) that were the exact same parts. This makes sense, mind you. It is often more cost efficient to use the same parts across your different labels if you can.
Really? I would have thought that Ryobi would have been bottom barrel. They are certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than Rigid, that's for dang sure.

Once upon a time I used a Rigid switch to replace the switch on a Chicago Electric compound mitre saw. As far as I know, it would still work but the blade guard quit functioning on that saw and it just didn't have the grunt I needed so I got a new, more powerful one.
That's what I've heard, though my source may have been incorrect. Of course, I'm talking about orange Rigid which is not to be confused with red Rigid (Owned by Emerson).

Edit: Just checked the Home Derp-o website. They have Rigid and Ryobi drills, both for $80, but the Ryobi has a smaller battery, making you think that more money might have gone into the drill itself. FWW.

I'm sure that either would be okayish.

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 pm
by FredS
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:05 pm
. . . I'm sure that either would be okayish.
And that's the whole point of this exercise. Of course we don't want a tool that will fall apart the first time we use it, but we don't need a drill that's going to put food on our table for the next 30 years either. Okayish is about as much as a casual user can expect these days.

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
by coco
This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

Image

It's over thirty years old and has enough power for most anything.

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 pm
by JudgeRusty
The impact drivers with new lithium batteries do impressive work.
However, I've gotten a lot of hard work done with this combo:
Image

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 pm
by Bloodhound
I just bought a DeWalt drill, not a hammer drill, but the first DeWalt product I have ever owned...I love its power, but the keyless chuck takes some getting used to...if not done right it releases upon startup and I dented two projects when it came loose

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:47 pm
by Hovannes
I hit the local ACE and Lowe's. So far, no joy :(

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm
by coco
FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:05 pm
. . . I'm sure that either would be okayish.
And that's the whole point of this exercise....
No, no, no. The whole point of this exercise is to whine about how "They don't make 'em like they used to."

I've been doing my part.

:chili:

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm
by JimVH
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

Image

It's over thirty years old and has enough power for most anything.
Off Topic
Have you ever tried sprinkling fertilizer down in the holes? I’ve read that helps accelerate the rot.

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm
by coco
JimVH wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

Image

It's over thirty years old and has enough power for most anything.
Off Topic
Have you ever tried sprinkling fertilizer down in the holes? I’ve read that helps accelerate the rot.
O have a bottle of stuff I got from either Home Derp-o or Blowe's that claims to accelerate rot. We will see.

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:33 pm
by hugodrax
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

Image

It's over thirty years old and has enough power for most anything.
Off Topic
Have you ever tried sprinkling fertilizer down in the holes? I’ve read that helps accelerate the rot.
O have a bottle of stuff from Home Derp-o that claims to accelerate rot. We will see.
The stump could always opt-in.

Re: An electric drill conundrum, or one drill to bore them all

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:38 pm
by coco
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:33 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm
coco wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
This thread inspired me to pull out the old Makita to drill a few holes in a stump I'm trying to make rot.

Image

It's over thirty years old and has enough power for most anything.
Off Topic
Have you ever tried sprinkling fertilizer down in the holes? I’ve read that helps accelerate the rot.
O have a bottle of stuff from Home Derp-o that claims to accelerate rot. We will see.
The stump could always opt-in.
:lol: