My new sailboat

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

My new sailboat

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:19 pm

I've sailed since 1982, ownd six sailboats and lived aboard in the early nineties. After Theresa died I gave away my Oday 25 and was done with sailing....I thought. But then I saw this boat on FB Market Place. The man that owns it lives in Bath NC about 20 minutes away. I checked it out today. SOLD. It's a wooden Core Sound Skiff probably built on Harker's Island NC at least fifty years ago. It's made of Juniper wood which is very rot resistant. It's small (which is good), 15' LOA and the beam is about 4.5'. It's a daggerboard and draws about 2' with the board down and less than a foot with the board up. This is important because I live on a canal and there is a sandbar at the mouth leading out to the Pungo River.

Anway, the best thing is that this is a historical boat, a traditional working skiff of the type used in coastal NC in the late 19th and early 20th century before outboards came along.. It's a Core Sound Spritsail Skiff which is cool. It's also old, it's also in almost mint condition except for the paint. Sail and oar power only on this boat. No outboard, I'm going full traditional.

So this boat is going to be living in my canal shortly and I will sail it on pleasant days over to the Jordan Creek Marina next door and wave at the yacht club people with their big yachts. I am naming it "Skitch" after a fearless kitten I used to know that stood down a German Shepherd.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: My new sailboat

Post by JimVH » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 pm

I know very little about sailing, but I can see this boat is very cool. I love that it has a lot of local history, too. Congratulations.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:03 pm

Looks like a lot of fun!

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:17 pm

Very cool! 8)
DEUS VULT!

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm

I should have put this in the original post but the man that I'm buying it from is on chemo and fighting leukemia. He and his wife are on my prayer list so please say a prayer for him. His name is Chip and he lives in Bath NC. God will know who you're praying for.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:17 pm

praying
DEUS VULT!

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Amazing!
Sola Deo Gloria

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 pm

Cool find!

Hilaire Belloc (Chesterton's best friend) loved to sail, and wrote well about it.

The Cruise of the Nona
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm
I should have put this in the original post but the man that I'm buying it from is on chemo and fighting leukemia. He and his wife are on my prayer list so please say a prayer for him. His name is Chip and he lives in Bath NC. God will know who you're praying for.
Congrats on your boat, and prayers for your friend.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Benton629
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benton629 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:55 am

Very cool sir!

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:09 am

Nice boat, Stan. Glad you got it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 am

nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:30 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm
Congrats on your boat, and prayers for your friend.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 am

Your friends here are happy for you. Please share updates as you clean it up and set sail.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 am
Your friends here are happy for you. Please share updates as you clean it up and set sail.
Thanks, I will. I'm picking it up this afternoon.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am
FredS wrote:
You're stronger than I thought.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:46 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am
FredS wrote:
You're stronger than I thought.
Brought it home today. I set up the rig on the trailer to see how hard it was. It wasn't bad at all. It's beamier than I though, 5 1/2". It has floorboards but they are in the garage. I need some 8-9 foot oars, oarlocks, some paint and few other minor repairs and I'll be posting photos of me muddling around in the sloughs and marshes of the Pungo. I will be smoking a pipe and probably drinking scotch out of a 6 ounce flask.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 pm

That looks like a good time, Stan. Enjoy.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:03 am

Beautiful classic boat. I love it!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:37 am

The pics make it look much shorter than 15', and much less than 5' beam. But that's a very cool boat. Did you get a good deal, cost wise?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)