My new sailboat

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Re: My new sailboat

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:37 am
The pics make it look much shorter than 15', and much less than 5' beam. But that's a very cool boat. Did you get a good deal, cost wise?
Yep it does look smaller in the pictures. I was thinking that the beam was about 4' until I measured it last night and it turned out to be 65". I think I got a fair deal. I ended up paying 1100.00 for it. The trailer is worth close to half that. The seller had it posted for a long time and many people inquired but no one came to look at it until I did. Fifty year old wooden boats are normally restoration jobs and are full of rot. This one is made of juniper and I have found no rot at all in it. I sent an email this morning with photos to the director of the Watercraft Department at the NC Mariners Museum in Beaufort NC. I think it was built in the area of Core Sound/Harker's Island and I hope to find out who the builder was. Before outboards, it was either sail or oars for small boats for the commercial fisherman. I think that's pretty cool.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:45 am

Not to be a juker, but never forget how many of those who went down to the sea in ships never made it home. Few jobs more dangerous today than that of a commercial fisherman, and it's more safe now than it's ever been.

I give you the US Navy Hymn, Eternal Father, Strong to Save.

Go with God, Stan!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:00 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:45 am
Not to be a juker, but never forget how many of those who went down to the sea in ships never made it home. Few jobs more dangerous today than that of a commercial fisherman, and it's more safe now than it's ever been.

Go with God, Stan!
"Like" button has been pressed.

I also like "Don't give up the ship". The group I golf with (pre- and post- shoulder surgery) are fond of saying "don't give up the hole", when shots go awry.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:45 am

Go with God, Stan!
Love the Navy. My Dad served in WWII in the South Pacific on the U.S.S. Crosby APD 17. Solomon Island Campaign, Philippine Campaign, and Okinawa.

You are right about commercial fishing. Two of my neighbors have drowned fishing. Both were crabbers. Another guy I know drowned offshore when their shrimp boat capsized. Four crew, only one survived. It is a dangerous profession.

But I will be quite safe on my boat since I will probably not take it out of the canal unless it is sunny and the wind is below 15 knots in gusts. Mostly I'll probably just sit on it, smoke pipes and drink libations. Took the sail off the mast and got the water out of the boat while ago. I'll move it to my boat shelter after it dries out and then the scraping and sanding will begin.....eventually. Good thing about these boats is that the go to paint is just enamel house paint.

I'm going to keep a journal on the repairs, costs, etc.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:40 pm

I am looking forward to updates on this...congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 am
Your friends here are happy for you. Please share updates as you clean it up and set sail.
Thanks, I will. I'm picking it up this afternoon.
You're stronger than I thought.
We already have a Dad-joke thread.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 am
Your friends here are happy for you. Please share updates as you clean it up and set sail.
Thanks, I will. I'm picking it up this afternoon.
You're stronger than I thought.
We already have a Dad-joke thread.
Into the Wosbald bin with you!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:40 pm
I am looking forward to updates on this...congrats
Ok. Tomorrow I'll be moving it to a covered shelter I have and start scraping paint. I'll keep y'all updated.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:23 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:23 pm
Thanks for posting this. Christopher Cross used to play at a local bar in Greenville NC in the eighties named "Suzie's Tree House". I've heard him live. I was young and owned a sailboat back then. This brings back some awesome memories of of hunting trim at a college bar. The Tree House was a great little spot. One time Jimmy Buffet played a concert at ECU and afterwards, went downtown and played live at the Tree House until it shut down at 2:00 AM. Good memories and you sparked them. Thanks again.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Hunting trim... like baseboards?
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:27 pm
It's an eighties term. You wouldn't understand.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:27 pm
It's an eighties term. You wouldn't understand.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy