Scalia

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Scalia

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:39 pm

I thought this was a cool photo.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: Scalia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 pm

beauty
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:43 pm

That is cool.
DEUS VULT!

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:59 pm

OK, you pipe experts, what pipe is that? Peterson? Savinelli? Dr. Grabow?
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:59 pm
Dunno. But that smoke is 759 8)
DL Jake

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:37 am

Those were the days, my friend. The nice aroma filling the room is what got him confirmed.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 am

I had the pleasure of spending some time with him (and with Leonard Leo - who probably would have preferred to be back in Washington, working :D ) on the Piedra River here some years ago.

Wonderful, gracious man.

When I respectfully called him Justice, he said, “Call me Nino.”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:51 am

Did he know how to fish?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:55 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 am
I had the pleasure of spending some time with him (and with Leonard Leo - who probably would have preferred to be back in Washington, working :D ) on the Piedra River here some years ago.

Wonderful, gracious man.

That is VERY COOL! I read that he was a fan of Peterson pipes
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Giant Panda wrote on FB that he spent a couple hours over wine and cheese with Scalia when he (Giant Panda) was a law student. His comments echoed DP's. Regardless of how conservative or progressive one is, I don't suppose you rise to the SCOTUS without being a hell of a human being who cares a great deal for ones fellow citizens.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm

durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

What tobacco did he smoke?
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

The day I was with him he didn't have his pipe!
I had mine in the gear bag in my Jeep, but I never got it out.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:52 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

St Hubertus or personal hunt?

If it was the Hubertus, oof. I've met some of those guys and your patience amazes me. :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Ooooo...a mystery. If it's Savinelli, it would have to be a Punto Oro 627 but Itialian billiards are more egg shaped than this one so I don't think it's Savinelli. Looks like Dunhill or Ashton maybe? I'm leaning towards Ashton Pebble Grain LX.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Ooooo...a mystery. If it's Savinelli, it would have to be a Punto Oro 627 but Itialian billiards are more egg shaped than this one so I don't think it's Savinelli. Looks like Dunhill or Ashton maybe? I'm leaning towards Ashton Pebble Grain LX.
Yep. And if not smoking SWR, then some Lane arom from Tinderbox, or possibly 3- Star Blue from Iwan R..
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:52 pm
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

St Hubertus [as in patron saint and guide of hunters?]or personal hunt?

If it was the Hubertus, oof. I've met some of those guys and your patience amazes me. :D
It was a guided trip. I did not know him before that day.

He was giving a presentation at a very quiet (there was no local awareness of the event) meeting of Federalist Society people that was being held at a resort north of town. We were told not to talk about it. It's been years, and Scalia has passed on so I don't think it matters anymore.

My sense was that Justice Scalia told someone that he'd like to go fishing while he was here. A local rancher who had several miles of private water on the Piedra River offered his place for both fishing and a catered lunch and our guide service was hired to guide Scalia, Leo and a few other people who were there.

I could tell a zillion stories about that day.

But they'd pretty much all boil down to this - Justice Scalia was as genuinely warm and down to earth as any person I'd ever met.

Leo was a very nice guy; I liked him a lot. But clearly, he was a profoundly urban person. I think the only reason he was there was because he wanted to be with Justice Scalia. It was the first time he'd ever had a fly rod in his hand (I gave him a quick casting lesson), and I doubt he ever picked one up again.

At lunch the local rancher prodded Scalia with some pretty embarrassing (for we locals) questions. He didn't appear to be terribly well informed. He seemed to want to know if Justice Scalia was a solid conservative or one a them lib-rals. :facepalm:

Scalia changed the subject, turned to me and began telling me wonderful stories about dessert wines in Italy and how he wished we had such a tradition here in the states. Me. The guide.

I'll remember that day as long as I live.
Last edited by durangopipe on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:51 am
Did he know how to fish?
Missed this, Fred.
Yes. He was pretty good.

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

He was giving a presentation at a very quiet (there was no local awareness of the event) meeting of Federalist Society people that was being held at a resort north of town. We were told not to talk about it. It's been years, and Scalia has passed on so I don't think it matters anymore.

My sense was that Justice Scalia told someone that he'd like to go fishing while he was here. A local rancher who had several miles of private water on the Piedra River offered his place for both fishing and a catered lunch and our guide service was hired to guide Scalia, Leo and a few other people who were there.

But they'd pretty much all boil down to this - Justice Scalia was as genuinely warm and down to earth as any person I'd ever met.

Leo was a very nice guy; I liked him a lot. But clearly, he was a profoundly urban person. I think the only reason he was there was because he wanted to be with Justice Scalia. It was the first time he'd ever had a fly rod in his hand (I gave him a quick casting lesson), and I doubt he ever picked one up again.

At lunch the local rancher prodded Scalia with some pretty embarrassing (for we locals) questions. He didn't appear to be terribly well informed. He seemed to want to know if Justice Scalia was a solid conservative or one a them lib-rals. :facepalm:

Scalia changed the subject, turned to me and began telling me wonderful stories about dessert wines in Italy and how he wished we had such a tradition here in the states. Me. The guide.

Thanks for sharing!

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

The International Order of St Hubertus can be a bit...ahem....the Saint, however is a model for all Christian hunters.

Neat experience. I've heard he was a grand guy and a wonderful raconteur who charmed people who expected to dislike him.

You've lived well, sir.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:31 pm

durangopipe wrote:

Wonderful, gracious man.

... and that was the code word I had been waiting on for thirteen long agonizing years.

Nino.

At last I have found him.
DL Jake