Salem4Youth Ranch - updates, support, and various fun stuff

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Salem4Youth Ranch - updates, support, and various fun stuff

Post by Gabriel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:53 pm

I'm always not sure where to put my Ranch news - the "working on" thread? The "useless facts" thread? Prayer request forums? So here will be the repository for all ministry related stuff. Read or ignore as you see fit.

First item: Raising Support!

After much prayer, discussion, and with enthusiastic support from our own home church Mrs. Gabriel and I are raising financial support in order continue our ministry. Since many of you have supported my family in so many different ways over the years, I will go ahead and post a quick summary of the situation here, if any of you would like to receive an actual support letter from us, please PM me with your address and I will get one out to you in the next couple weeks.

For those that don't know, Salem4Youth Ranch is a private, Christian residential facility for young men that are struggling with their lives. Our students are placed by their families, there is no state or school involvement with that process. The boys live on campus and experience school, vocational training, counseling, and mentoring provided by loving Christian staff. Their parents also have counseling, training, and mentoring as well. In front and behind all of these tools is the idea that our main mission is to truly introduce this young man and his family to the life changing power of the Gospel. We seek to do that with words, actions, and a consistent lifestyle. A lot could be said about Salem, I find it to be unique in it's field and it's the main reason we haven't strongly considered leaving IL. For more information on Salem itself, our website is:
www.salem4youth.com
and the facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/Salem4Youth

My roles at Salem have been many - most of them have fallen under the title of "Residential Program Director.' As that director I oversaw a great many areas of the Ranch, from dealing with students in crisis to writing personnel policies to creating and implementing a staff training program to parent counseling. It's been hard, but exciting to see so many of the goals we had for this ministry come to reality over the time I held that position. These days I maintain a few of those responsibilities - I still oversee all staff training, I write for the Ranch, and help out with various administrative tasks as needed. Most of time is now dedicated to getting the woodworking vocational program off the ground and up to high level of excellence and effectiveness.

It's a great challenge and has been a fun change of roles for me. I now spend a lot more time in a mentoring/teaching role and less time as an administrative disciplinarian. We structure our vocational times to meet the primary goal of building mentoring relationships while at the same time teaching skills and providing new experiences. It's a very effective ministry and one that is full of nearly unlimited potential.

As I said at the beginning though, we are needing to raise support to supplement our salary. Salem Ranch firmly believes we should accept students from any income bracket, this means that we don't always have the budget we wish we had. Many staff believe strongly enough in the importance of this work to supplement the payroll budget by raising their own support. This is the category we fall into. This is turning into a really long "summary." The short version is that my family and I are passionate about this ministry and the multi-generational possibilities it holds (I often tell my staff that we're not just ministering to a particular young man, we're trying to also reach his children and possible grandchildren with the gospel). We need others to join us and be passionate about the opportunities here as well.

I always love talking about the Ranch, so if you want more information please PM me. If you're in the area I'd love to show you around, and please, PLEASE pray that we can raise the support we need. Again, if you're interested in seeing our formal letter, just PM your address and I'll get you one soon!

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Salem4Youth Ranch - updates, support, and various fun stuff

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:47 pm

I've followed the ranch for a while on FB. There's a lot of great work going on there.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

mont974x4
Minister of Canola Mustard
Minister of Canola Mustard

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm

I always enjoy reading these posts.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:27 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm
I always enjoy reading these posts.

Hello FredS
Glad to hear it! I plan to start posting more regularly about my work, mostly because I’m excited about it, but it also seems right up the alley of most here and could be interesting.
Sola Deo Gloria

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Good stuff!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:05 pm

First round of letters are out! If you would like one or know someone who would, make sure and PM me and I’ll get you on the next round.
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 pm

I always enjoy seeing your posts on FB. Excited for you and your wife, and for those young men and their families. I pray for you folks often and will continue. Keep up the great work!
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty