Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:11 pm

I need to wear a mask in my own home if I have guests, apparently.

Children's school shut down because one of my kids' teachers has the virus.

We'll be locked in before we know it here in Pennsylvania.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 pm

<zederated>, I was hoping to avoid the plague in my lifetime.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:51 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 pm
Hey, I'm planning on avoiding it! Wash your hands and keep things clean.

Jesus already beat this, you know. :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:51 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 pm
Hey, I'm planning on avoiding it! Wash your hands and keep things clean.

Jesus already beat this, you know. :D
Seems like the plague had worse impact but less government closing down.... unless this has become the plague and I missed the news article (could have been).

I am very isolated, very aware of others, and very conscientious of not knowing where others have been-- i.e. I'm able to do all the self isolated things rather well (and boy do a I need a vacation). This thing is very contagious .... but not like the plague (except for the most vulnerable whom we should all protect to our best ability individually and as communities ).

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm

My wife and I have been working from home since March, with me reporting to the office once a week or so. The office is in Denver and we live in a suburb to the South...both are listed as "RED" areas...so mostly home lock down...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:29 pm

In line with the thread...

Thanksgiving will be extremely limited here (5)-- and my wife and I are not planning on traveling to family nor having family travel to us.

I hope I can contain my cooking to only make enough for 5 (plus leftovers).

This one year a while back, I hosted the whole small group and had about 20 people-- I did all the cooking including a few pies, caramel popcorn, a turkey and all the fixings.

This year... nope. This will be the smallest Thanksgiving I'll have had for .... shoot... let me think on that.
The 6s of 1st John:

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:05 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:29 pm
In line with the thread...

Thanksgiving will be extremely limited here (5)-- and my wife and I are not planning on traveling to family nor having family travel to us.

I hope I can contain my cooking to only make enough for 5 (plus leftovers).

This one year a while back, I hosted the whole small group and had about 20 people-- I did all the cooking including a few pies, caramel popcorn, a turkey and all the fixings.

This year... nope. This will be the smallest Thanksgiving I'll have had for .... shoot... let me think on that.
We're down to three people, as of today, due to covid illness and exposure.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:41 pm

We should finish our quarantine in time for Thanksgiving -- if I can get Mrs. Del to stay in bed and rest.

Anyhow, Cigarson and his wife are planning to come over for smoked turkey. Pipeson lives with us, so that makes 5.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm

I hear Biden wants a 4-6 week national shut-down.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Mrs Hov is out of work yet again because of the 'rona.
Church is back outside so once again it's mass on the grass as long as the weather holds, then it's no mas
Aside from the grocery store, Costco and ACE hardware for essentials, we haven't gone much of anywhere since March except when grusome Newsom had us the red tier, but our extended family does get together, and has consistently since the 'rona as we're all taking the same precautions. No one here has tested positive for 'rona yet, nor have any friends or acquaintences.
Tomorrow night I've got a field trip to the local TV station for a Turkey Drop(not out of the WKRP helicopter, but folks dropping off frozen turkeys for the homeless (out of a car trunk, into the reefer trailer)
We'll try and support local eateries with take out as much as possible.
DEUS VULT!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 pm

Shooting clays today was cancelled.
The rest of the season is cancelled. :(
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:24 am

Supposedly it has bloomed up in NC recently. My zip code was one of the last to have any cases and now it's had a total of 87 with one covid related death. The lady actually had kidney failure before she got covid and died of kidney failure due to the virus. Down here people are split (I'm guessing) at about 50/50 with mask wearing. I do wear a mask when I go to the grocery store or have to go into a store or business a county over to a fairly high population density city (by our standards). Overall down here people aren't as nervous about it. The only thing shut down are businesses ordered close by the governor.

Personally I think it's dangerous to those who are already ill with something. My brother died of it in August but he was in a nursing home and had destroyed his body through substance abuse. My nephew has it now (he's 46 and in good health) but he says that he's had worse cases of the flu. He's not over it yet so we'll see but he's young and strong. The doctors don't provide any treatment at all for people who aren't hospitalized. He's taking OTC zinc, and Vitamin D. Flu season is here and I imagine getting both a the same time could be very dangerous.

I have lived a fairly isolated life anyway for the last ten years or so and during a week I normally am not around other people anyway except church (we are still holding normal services) or the grocery store. I am struggling with trusting ANY source of information now days though, especially the news and government agencies. I simply don't trust what they say, not at all. They may be telling the absolute truth about covid cases and statistics but I simply don't trust them. I think that is one of the worst effects of this virus on people, we just don't know who to trust. My solution to that is to just trust Jesus and his Word.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 am

Toilet paper is flying off the shelves at the market.
Again,
What is it with toilet paper and the 'Rona, anyway? :confused:
DEUS VULT!

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 am

Latest news here in the high country says that 1 in 100 people are contagious so I figured we've all surely been exposed to this thing by now and those most susceptible have been sick and everybody else is 'safe'. Evidently that's not the case, as we are seeing more hospitalizations and deaths every day.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 am

It's on the rise here, but I've heard no word yet about further shutdowns. Well, cases are on the rise, but related deaths are decreasing.

Thanksgiving is at our house, with 8 people, and will be spread out and outdoors if good weather.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am

Idaho is among the top three in the nation for positivity rates, along with Montana and Wyoming. All three are fiercely conservative with a widespread attitude of, "Nobody can tell me what to do". Not heavily populated states, but with hospitals filling up and health care workers resigning under the pressure, it is a big problem.
Idaho is partially shutdown, and the governor won't issue mandatory mandates, saying that he would rather leave it up to the local governments, which won't do it, either. I think he doesn't want to be the bad guy, telling folks what to do. But neither do they. What part of "If everyone will wear a mask, more businesses can stay open" do people not comprehend? Our governor does stress that message, but without a mandate from SOMEBODY with the guts to issue it, we will just continue on this trajectory.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am

Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am
Idaho is among the top three in the nation for positivity rates, along with Montana and Wyoming. All three are fiercely conservative with a widespread attitude of, "Nobody can tell me what to do". Not heavily populated states, but with hospitals filling up and health care workers resigning under the pressure, it is a big problem.
We planned to invite Mrs FredS's brother and his boys from Wyoming for Thanksgiving. I was in Cheyenne last weekend (that's the nearest Menards and it's only 35 minutes from home) and saw a 50/50 mix of masks/no masks because, as you mentioned, most folks there are in the "live free or die" camp. To be fair, they - and you in Idaho I reckon - had few cases the first go-round so the seriousness hasn't hit home yet.

Anyway, we didn't end up extending the invitation. It'll just be dinner for two this year.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am

My parents declined.

I hate this.
—Marcus Aurelius

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am
My parents declined.

I hate this.
Praying.
DEUS VULT!

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am
Idaho is partially shutdown, and the governor won't issue mandatory mandates, saying that he would rather leave it up to the local governments, which won't do it, either. I think he doesn't want to be the bad guy, telling folks what to do. But neither do they. What part of "If everyone will wear a mask, more businesses can stay open" do people not comprehend? Our governor does stress that message, but without a mandate from SOMEBODY with the guts to issue it, we will just continue on this trajectory.

Don't blame the independent spirit of western folks. People who live in blue states are also rebelling against the masks and mandates and lockdowns. Newsom and Cuomo and Whitmer are all facing rebellions of their state residents.

The virus is passing through areas that have long had mask mandates, just as fast as it is moving through the freedom-loving folks. It's a natural catastrophe, like a hurricane. We can't control it. Just take measures to protect ourselves and your own families.
===================

We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'