Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:58 am

my wife went to the store to return Christmas clothes and look for pants. No trying on pants allowed. I asked her if "covid crotch" was a thing now.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am

A lot of people wanted to opt-out and put their head in the sand. Sadly this is the perfect position for the government. If you can't hear them through the muffling granules tickling your ears, they just said, "grab dem ankles." Fact is, politics are everywhere and it shows when those who opted-out keep making political threads. If it were up to me, i'd shut down opt-in and open Purgatory. I agree that you can't avoid this stuff and need a free place to complain or fawn over the ankle grabbing.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:44 am

The streets are busy, a lot of people seem to be carrying on as if there is no danger. But I know that behind that facade, there's a lot more going on.

The company that I've been contracting with as a graphic designer for the past umpteen years has slowed to a crawl. I turned in my equipment the week before Christmas. I may be able to return someday, but it's just a case of "wait and see what happens". I expect that part of my career is over. It was my bread and butter, and I filled in with my small biz, signs and commercial photography. That is typically slow in winter, but now? A complete halt. Looking forward, it will be my sole source of income.

With extremely low overhead, when this is all behind us my shop will recover. A lot of businesses are shuttering, and as new ones move in, I'll be there to help them with marketing materials. But for now... holding pattern.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:54 am

Think it's bad now? Give it a few months when the birthing pains really ratchet up.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am
A lot of people wanted to opt-out and put their head in the sand. Sadly this is the perfect position for the government. If you can't hear them through the muffling granules tickling your ears, they just said, "grab dem ankles." Fact is, politics are everywhere and it shows when those who opted-out keep making political threads. If it were up to me, i'd shut down opt-in and open Purgatory. I agree that you can't avoid this stuff and need a free place to complain or fawn over the ankle grabbing.
Oh, I don’t know.

I’m going to guess that many of us who opted out simply didn’t want to get involved in what will inevitably degenerate into political arguments that generate more heat than light.

It might just be that some of us remain informed and quite engaged politically outside of Internet forums.

A little political bleed through into opt-out threads is to be expected and tolerated but I expect it’s easier for admins and moderators to keep things under control this way.

As for bending over to grab my ankles ...

I’m not that flexible anymore. 😁
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Jester wrote:
We're all adults here. Is that aimed at me? I ask only because a thread I was commenting on has disappeared, I suppose, to the opt-in room so I don't know what went on after my last comment. Don't be vague man. Speak yer mind unless you think the mods will come down on you for putting it in the public section. And, if you're worried about that then you shouldn't have put it here in the first place.

Welcome back btw. It's nice to 'see' you again. Maybe you never really left. It's hard to tell with my head in the sand. You'll be glad to know your brother fought through bravely in your absence. Buy him a drink.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:07 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:55 pm
Jester wrote:
We're all adults here. Is that aimed at me? I ask only because a thread I was commenting on has disappeared, I suppose, to the opt-in room so I don't know what went on after my last comment. Don't be vague man. Speak yer mind unless you think the mods will come down on you for putting it in the public section. And, if you're worried about that then you shouldn't have put it here in the first place.

Welcome back btw. It's nice to 'see' you again. Maybe you never really left. It's hard to tell with my head in the sand. You'll be glad to know your brother fought through bravely in your absence. Buy him a drink.
Just go ahead and Opt. In so you at least have the choice waiting at your finger tips.

#prochoice
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Jester wrote:

I'll buy him 2. This comment was not directed at you though you are correct about your last interaction. That thread is now in the opt-in. My post was directed at everyone who doesn't want to opt-in so they opt-in in the youth room instead.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm
FredS wrote:
Jester wrote:

I'll buy him 2. This comment was not directed at you though you are correct about your last interaction. That thread is now in the opt-in. My post was directed at everyone who doesn't want to opt-in so they opt-in in the youth room instead.
Then let me say here that I'm sorry for those times when I've been political in the yute room. Not sorry necessarily about what I wrote, but where I wrote it. There's a reason I don't opt-in, but I realize I'm sloppy sometimes and it spills over in to places it shouldn't. So yeah. Sorry.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 pm

If it was directed at me, let me know, Jester.
If so, I’ll discuss it with you in a PM.

If not, be well.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Heard today that one in five people in Los Angeles are testing positive. There are about 19,000,000 in the greater LA area.

Yeah, it's a tiny, isolated place where I reside, but I've never been more glad to be here.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:40 pm
Heard today that one in five people in Los Angeles are testing positive. There are about 19,000,000 in the greater LA area.

Yeah, it's a tiny, isolated place where I reside, but I've never been more glad to be here.
They call that the 'positivity rate' and I think it's a misleading stat because it's skewed high. Mrs FredS and I discussed this last night when the newsman reported the number here. I think it's misleading because only people who feel ill or are bound by some sort of authority (like an employer) get tested. I've never felt ill so I've never been tested. I would drag the positivity rate down. She countered by saying some clients in her group (an out patient addiction group) have been tested "5 or 6 times"!

Maybe they're addicted to testing. :chili:

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:35 pm

also figured into the 'positivity rate' are agencies that are front line and they test their employees daily....I won't name them...but the numbers are definatlly skewed
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 pm

FredS wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:40 pm

They call that the 'positivity rate' and I think it's a misleading stat because it's skewed high. Mrs FredS and I discussed this last night when the newsman reported the number here. I think it's misleading because only people who feel ill or are bound by some sort of authority (like an employer) get tested. I've never felt ill so I've never been tested. I would drag the positivity rate down. She countered by saying some clients in her group (an out patient addiction group) have been tested "5 or 6 times"!

Maybe they're addicted to testing. :chili:
My daughter had appendicitis and had to be transferred to the hospital downtown for the surgery. The first hospital tested her and then the second hospital tested her the next day. My wife told the nurse she had already been tested and the nurse said something like “Yeah but we get more money this way.” It was the same medical group so they had all of her records. I can see 5 or 6 tests happening over the course of months if they need frequent medical care

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:11 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:40 pm
If it was directed at me, let me know, Jester.
If so, I’ll discuss it with you in a PM.

If not, be well.
This was not directed at you. I have no problem with anyone here. I had to slightly moderate a thread the other day, political in nature, that was easier just to transfer to opt-in. I then realized we had a few political threads being made and wanted to remind everyone that there is an opt-in for those who want to complain about or rejoice over policies. If we can keep them civil, I wont transfer them to the opt-in.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:23 am

I think a few counties are still requiring restaurants/bars to shut down at 10pm, but outside of that there hasn't been any technical lockdowns round these parts since last spring.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis