Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG
Posts: 19653
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm
I hear Biden wants a 4-6 week national shut-down.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-c ... d=74173793

An advisor floated the idea a while back, but he said he hasn’t spoken with Biden about it and he recognizes it probably wouldn’t be received well.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

User avatar
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar
Posts: 3747
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Jake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm
We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
Praying for your household, Del! I hope it continues to be mild.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

User avatar
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar
Posts: 3747
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Jake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am
We planned to invite Mrs FredS's brother and his boys from Wyoming for Thanksgiving. I was in Cheyenne last weekend (that's the nearest Menards and it's only 35 minutes from home) and saw a 50/50 mix of masks/no masks because, as you mentioned, most folks there are in the "live free or die" camp. To be fair, they - and you in Idaho I reckon - had few cases the first go-round so the seriousness hasn't hit home yet.

Anyway, we didn't end up extending the invitation. It'll just be dinner for two this year.
Dinner for two in our house this year, too. I'd rather save the gathering for outdoor BBQ in the summertime, anyway. We'll keep the tradition of watching the dog show, but my mom and I will discuss it on the phone instead of in person.

In recent news, the Idaho National Guard has been brought in to help out at one of the Boise hospitals that is understaffed and becoming overwhelmed.

It all seems very unreal to me here. I live a ways out of town, and keep a good pantry so I seldom go out to the store. We had a substitute mail person for quite a while, and when our regular mail lady returned, she told me a co-worker had tested positive so she had to self-isolate. This is a fairly reclusive neighborhood, but it still could reach us here.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 43275
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Del » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm
We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
Praying for your household, Del! I hope it continues to be mild.
Thank you. We will be fine.

The greatest risk is to people who are susceptible to secondary bacterial infections like pneumonia.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23856
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm
We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
Praying for your household, Del! I hope it continues to be mild.
Thank you. We will be fine.

The greatest risk is to people who are susceptible to secondary bacterial infections like pneumonia.
You know, like smokers....

It ain't nothin' and it ain't death-on-a-stick, either.

I'm praying for you guys anyway. Being sick is the pits.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm
We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
Praying for your household, Del! I hope it continues to be mild.
Thank you. We will be fine.

The greatest risk is to people who are susceptible to secondary bacterial infections like pneumonia.
You know, like smokers....

It ain't nothin' and it ain't death-on-a-stick, either.

I'm praying for you guys anyway. Being sick is the pits.
'Zactly.
Mrs Del is a fine specimen, but Mr Del is pushing 60, carrying a few extra pounds, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, and last exercised during the Reagan administration.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 43275
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Del » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm
We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
Praying for your household, Del! I hope it continues to be mild.
Thank you. We will be fine.

The greatest risk is to people who are susceptible to secondary bacterial infections like pneumonia.
You know, like smokers....

It ain't nothin' and it ain't death-on-a-stick, either.

I'm praying for you guys anyway. Being sick is the pits.
'Zactly.
Mrs Del is a fine specimen, but Mr Del is pushing 60, carrying a few extra pounds, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, and last exercised during the Reagan administration.
Ha! That's right! Except I've been pulling 60 for the last few weeks.

I credit my good health to those bright virginia treatments that bite the virus off of my tongue. And daily rations of quinine tonic -- with a squeeze of lime, to kill the scurvy too.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm
We have mild cases of covid in our home right now. We are doing our part: we staying home for the duration of our quarantine. We don't want to expose any vulnerable people. We don't trust that masks provide adequate protection, so we are respecting the full 14-day quarantine.

The virus is working through Mrs. Del's office. They are instituting a policy of wearing real surgical masks, and a registered nurse is coming to train them on how to use and care for masks properly. It looks like regular people are just starting to take this virus seriously, now that we can see it.
Praying for your household, Del! I hope it continues to be mild.
Thank you. We will be fine.

The greatest risk is to people who are susceptible to secondary bacterial infections like pneumonia.
You know, like smokers....

It ain't nothin' and it ain't death-on-a-stick, either.

I'm praying for you guys anyway. Being sick is the pits.
'Zactly.
Mrs Del is a fine specimen, but Mr Del is pushing 60, carrying a few extra pounds, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, and last exercised during the Reagan administration.
Ha! That's right! Except I've been pulling 60 for the last few weeks.

I credit my good health to those bright virginia treatments that bite the virus off of my tongue. And daily rations of quinine tonic -- with a squeeze of lime, to kill the scurvy too.
60 is the new 40, Del.
You’re in your prime.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by arank87 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:56 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:41 pm
We should finish our quarantine in time for Thanksgiving -- if I can get Mrs. Del to stay in bed and rest.

Anyhow, Cigarson and his wife are planning to come over for smoked turkey. Pipeson lives with us, so that makes 5.
Your neighbors to the West are envious of your freedoms. In Minnesota our governor has banned all gatherings of more than one household. I can get my haircut though.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 43275
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Del » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:00 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:58 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm
Mrs Del is a fine specimen, but Mr Del is pushing 60, carrying a few extra pounds, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, and last exercised during the Reagan administration.
Ha! That's right! Except I've been pulling 60 for the last few weeks.

I credit my good health to those bright virginia treatments that bite the virus off of my tongue. And daily rations of quinine tonic -- with a squeeze of lime, to kill the scurvy too.
60 is the new 40, Del.
You’re in your prime.
Oh, I'm prime all right.... with plenty of marbling too.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28678
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 pm

Curious as to why we're not hearing any of this on the news
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... urope.html
DEUS VULT!

User avatar
mcommini
Usher
Usher
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 pm
Location: Santa Fe

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by mcommini » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am
My parents declined.

I hate this.
My parents having been divorced since I was 19, having them around hasn't been part of my normal Thanksgiving ritual- rather than giving offense by traveling to one or the other, I've only celebrated with them when they've happened to be close by.

Since living here my tradition for the last 7 years has been to celebrate with my parish- liturgy in the morning followed by a feast.

At this point it looks like my parish will be having our regular Thanksgiving liturgy but skipping the meal afterward (I'm ambivalent- I'll miss the fellowship, but for the first time in 5 years I don't have to show up 2 hours before services to cook 2 large turkeys).

If I do any Thanksgiving turkey this year it will be a small one shared with my brother and our coworker's small family of 3.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

User avatar
Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Winton » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 am

My daughter will be off quarantine the day before Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter work together with the school busses. Apparently, one of the kids on my daughter's bus tested positive. My daughter has no symptoms and is enjoying sleeping in and goofing off, while still being paid. My wife asked if she should also be on quarantine, but the response was no.

I am taking no chances! Every day, of quarantine, I retreat to my garage, with a pipe. I am just trying to be safe.

User avatar
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Posts: 24572
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 am

Winton wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 am
I am taking no chances! Every day, of quarantine, I retreat to my garage, with a pipe. I am just trying to be safe.
For the good of the children of course.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 am

We had my son’s family with all of our grandkids here from Oregon last Thanksgiving.
It was wonderful.

This year, just the two of us. But Mrs. durangopipe wants us to cook everything we usually make for our traditional Thanksgiving.
Why not. We’re still just as thankful. :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 28678
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 am
We had my son’s family with all of our grandkids here from Oregon last Thanksgiving.
It was wonderful.

This year, just the two of us. But Mrs. durangopipe wants us to cook everything we usually make for our traditional Thanksgiving.
Why not. We’re still just as thankful. :D
There is something mighty powerful about having Thanksgiving leftovers as well :D
DEUS VULT!

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:03 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 am
We had my son’s family with all of our grandkids here from Oregon last Thanksgiving.
It was wonderful.

This year, just the two of us. But Mrs. durangopipe wants us to cook everything we usually make for our traditional Thanksgiving.
Why not. We’re still just as thankful. :D
There is something mighty powerful about having Thanksgiving leftovers as well :D
That, too! :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar
Posts: 3747
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Jake » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am
There is something mighty powerful about having Thanksgiving leftovers as well :D
We are actually going to start out with "Leftovers"... slices of turkey breast that I'd frozen earlier, over toast with mashed potatoes and gravy!
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

User avatar
JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Posts: 26586
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:32 pm

I have a can of cranberry sauce in the fridge, so we're set. The rest is just fluff.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

User avatar
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar
Posts: 3747
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Re: Closing Down, How About Some Local Observations?

Post by Jake » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:21 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:32 pm
I have a can of cranberry sauce in the fridge, so we're set. The rest is just fluff.
I will make a pot of cranberry-orange sauce. I love that stuff!
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Post Reply