Who to trust?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Who to trust?

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm

I have lost my ability to trust almost everybody and everything I hear on the news and social media. So many things that were portrayed as being fact have turned out to be outright lies. I trust very little now days. Politicians, journalists, educators, and others have been shown to be wrong, if not outright lying, about so many things that I just don't believe anything at face value anymore. All sources of information are suspect and contaminated in my opinion. It's a disorienting lost feeling, like I have lost my footing.

But there is one exception, God and his Word. Maybe I'm being shaken and stripped of my faith in words of men and directed to focus on the Word of Jesus Christ and the Bible. In fact, I'm sure of it. The Bible is the only source of knowledge that I fully trust anymore. Maybe that's the way it should be.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

WSerad
Usher
Usher

Re: Who to trust?

Post by WSerad » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Jesus established His Church, for us men for for our salvation. And that Church has an inspired Scripture, which is a trustworthy testament when the whole world is lying to us.

We shouldn't be too dismayed when the world turns against God, and against truth, and against us -- in their media, their education, their worldly leaders. Our own sacred scripture tells us that we should not put our trust in the princes of this world.

We should never have let them take over control of our children's education, in the first place.
====================

I waste a lot of time here like I care about politics, but I really don't. I don't spend my time or donate money to political work -- may God bless those Christians who labor in that field.

I donate time and money to a local Catholic classical academy, and also to some trustworthy folks who provide classical resources to homeschooling families.

Because kids have a natural right to an authentic education. And adults have a natural duty to provide it to them.

Our system of public school indoctrination does not educate children. This is a tragedy. We do not teach them any critical thinking skills. We are not filling them with the legacy of Western Culture which is their birthright.... and how can they build on that which they have never received?
==================

Find a school or homeschool resource where kids are learning from Plato & Augustine & Boethius & Shakespeare & the Bible.... and support them.

Urge local schools systems to use our tax dollars to support charter schools and school choice, so parents can have more authority than the Teachers U***n. Their U***n does not care about our children, and it shows.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:17 am

I used to be really interested in politics, but it was short lived. I always was under the impression that a conservative, Christian, white, middle class male had absolutely no voice in public discourse. And I still believe that to be the case. I found out about conservative talk show hosts and was like "whoa... somebody who thinks like I do AND THEY'RE ON THE RADIO!" After a while of listening to that for a while, writing to senators and representatives (and being promptly ignored) and getting super stressed and bitter, I decided "why choose the lesser of two evils? I choose no evil". I gave up completely on politics. Pagans are gonna do what pagans are gonna do. I refuse to put my faith and hope in a man (or woman) who is 100% going to fail and disappoint. Whichever way it shakes out, America will get the leadership(?) it deserves and Yahweh will remain on the throne. I'll go with the One who has a 100% track record of keeping His promises, sit back and just watch the world burn.
Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am

The good news is that hardly any of the noise actually impacts how we move through the world every day. For the most part, you get to choose how much or little you want to be engaged in the rat race. For sure, they - politicians, televangelists, talking heads on the news, movie stars, athletes - all want our money and some folks are in a position that they can even take some of it, but still - - - it's just money. Those great philosophers from NC, the Avett Brothers have a song titled Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise that speaks to this. It's worth searching for on the net.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 am

Another thing regarding trust, and more to Stan's original point - - - There's so much information tossed at us every day that it's hard to know what to trust so I only trust those I trust. If someone is proven trustworthy I trust them. If not, I don't. That means I trust my doctor over Web MD. I trust my insurance guy over Flo from the television ads. I trust my Pastor more than Joel Osteen. I trust my own children more than the delinquents on the news. I trust my banker more than the fly-by-night mortgage peddlers who send me junk mail. I've been around long enough that it's not really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. The goats from the sheep.

I belong to a couple facebook groups for owners of the same brand RV as we own. I'm amazed every day when people post questions like "My dealer says I should only tow 8,000 lbs, but my trailer is 10,000. Do you think I'm OK?" or "The owners manual says I shouldn't run the propane refrigerator while on the road? Will that really cause a problem?" These idiots have solid information and advice from the engineers who build, sell, and service their vehicles but they asking internet strangers for advice? Incredible. Literally, in-credible.

A little critical thinking goes a long ways.
Last edited by FredS on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 am
Another thing regarding trust, and more to Stan's original point - - - There's so much information tossed at us every day that it's hard to know what to trust so I only trust those I trust. If someone is proven trustworthy I trust them. If not, I don't. That means I trust my doctor over Web MD. I trust my insurance guy over Flo from the television ads. I trust my Pastor more than Joel Osteen. I trust my own children more than the delinquents on the news. I trust my banker more than the fly-by-night mortgage peddlers who send me junk mail. I've been around long enough that it's not really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. The goats from the sheep.

Had a call with my son yesterday-- tried to encourage him that a little critical thinking goes a long way. Time will tell.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am
The good news is that hardly any of the noise actually impacts how we move through the world every day.
It does, and it will.
Try finding toilet paper or Clorox at the supermarket.
DEUS VULT!

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am
FredS wrote:
The good news is that hardly any of the noise actually impacts how we move through the world every day.
It does, and it will.
No, it doesn't. Not once in my life have I run out of toilet paper. It doesn't matter what crisis is being reported today, I have all the toilet paper and household cleaner I need.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am
FredS wrote:
It does, and it will.
No, it doesn't. Not once in my life have I run out of toilet paper. It doesn't matter what crisis is being reported today, I have all the toilet paper and household cleaner I need.
Good Boy Scout!
DEUS VULT!

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am

Yep, I have fallen into the trap of believing "facts" in the past only to have them replaced by new "facts" over and over again. Politicians are legendary for lying but for most of my life I did believe most of what I saw on the news or read in the papers. I knew it was leaning either to the right or left but for the most part I believed actual news stories. Not so any more for the most part. Sure I believe that a guy shot a deputy near me a few days ago but I don't just soak up "facts" about politics, vaccines, the pandemic, the economy etc. There is too much changing and conflicting information out there and so much of it is just plain false. Or maybe not and that's the point, I just don't know. Maybe I don't NEED to know. So my focus is to work on my faith and trust in God's Word and Jesus. I figure I can't go wrong that way.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:04 pm

There are CPS members that I trust pretty much completely even some I have never met in person.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:04 pm
There are CPS members that I trust pretty much completely even some I have never met in person.
Yes I do trust my buddies in here even the lawyers.

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm

:cry:
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
One of the lawyers after he's had his morning coffee the other two all the time.:-)

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
One of the lawyers after he's had his morning coffee the other two all the time.:-)
You can trust me before coffee, too.

The reactions may be different, but they're equally predictable. :lol:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Re: Who to trust?m

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:56 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
You can trust me before coffee, too.

The reactions may be different, but they're equally predictable. :lol:
Different but equally predictable I may use that don't really know what it means but I like the sound of it.

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 pm

FredS wrote:

I belong to a couple facebook groups for owners of the same brand RV as we own. I'm amazed every day when people post questions like "My dealer says I should only tow 8,000 lbs, but my trailer is 10,000. Do you think I'm OK?" or "The owners manual says I shouldn't run the propane refrigerator while on the road? Will that really cause a problem?" These idiots have solid information and advice from the engineers who build, sell, and service their vehicles but they asking internet strangers for advice? Incredible. Literally, in-credible.

Hey. Fred I once grossed 30000 lb on my six wheel f600 dump truck with 10,000 pounds on the steer axle. Is this too much?

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 pm

FredS wrote:

Hey. Fred I once grossed 30000 lb on my six wheel f600 dump truck with 10,000 pounds on the steer axle. Is this too much?

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 pm
FredS wrote:

yes

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am
Yep, I have fallen into the trap of believing "facts" in the past only to have them replaced by new "facts" over and over again. Politicians are legendary for lying but for most of my life I did believe most of what I saw on the news or read in the papers. I knew it was leaning either to the right or left but for the most part I believed actual news stories. Not so any more for the most part. Sure I believe that a guy shot a deputy near me a few days ago but I don't just soak up "facts" about politics, vaccines, the pandemic, the economy etc. There is too much changing and conflicting information out there and so much of it is just plain false. Or maybe not and that's the point, I just don't know. Maybe I don't NEED to know. So my focus is to work on my faith and trust in God's Word and Jesus. I figure I can't go wrong that way.
Michael Crichton (who was always ahead of the game) coined a certain phenomenon the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect. The idea that an expert in a particular field or someone who has superior knowledge of a certain subject reads an article (or hears a news story reported) and sees how bad the journalist mangles the information, sees they actually have it wrong, that their report is shoddy and inept, but then turns the page to another subject they have no superior knowledge in and assumes everything they read is on the up and up.

Seems this year in particular has gone a long way into busting the Amnesia Effect for quite a few folks.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis