Who to trust?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Re: Who to trust?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 am

Hey, Stan. Good stuff.

I feel that renewed interest in the word of God is the hidden blessing of 2020. Instead of feeling cursed, we should be glad of the opportunity for repentance and renewal.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:54 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 am
Hey, Stan. Good stuff.

I feel that renewed interest in the word of God is the hidden blessing of 2020. Instead of feeling cursed, we should be glad of the opportunity for repentance and renewal.
Good point! My wife is a solid consistent patterner and has read through the Bible several times now with the read your Bible in a year plans (I picked out the Bible for her as my wedding gift to her-- supple leather bound archeological study Bible-- notes on archeological/cultural interest scattered throughout).

I'm working (or staring at a terminal) too much and perhaps shifting to books including the good book would do me well (better).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am

hugodrax wrote:
Hey, Stan. Good stuff.

Thanks. I was talking with my sister last night on this subject. We agreed that there is a "shaking" going on. Trust in the words of men is being shaken away (at least from me) leaving trust in God and God's Word. It may also be that many people who are lukewarm in their faith and even some who are not believers are being stripped (shaken) of their trust and belief in whatever they read or hear from man and so are being led to God. That thought gives me a lot of comfort. My faith has been lukewarm at times but it is growing stronger every day.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am
hugodrax wrote:
Hey, Stan. Good stuff.

Thanks. I was talking with my sister last night on this subject. We agreed that there is a "shaking" going on. Trust in the words of men is being shaken away (at least from me) leaving trust in God and God's Word. It may also be that many people who are lukewarm in their faith and even some who are not believers are being stripped (shaken) of their trust and belief in whatever they read or hear from man and so are being led to God. That thought gives me a lot of comfort. My faith has been lukewarm at times but it is growing stronger every day.
That's what I'm feeling, too.

One of the more interesting things I've read about monastic rules is that the routine serves to keep people focused for those lukewarm times. We all go through them, and having a set routine of prayers and readings help minimize their frequency and duration.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:51 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am
hugodrax wrote:
Hey, Stan. Good stuff.

That's what I'm feeling, too.

One of the more interesting things I've read about monastic rules is that the routine serves to keep people focused for those lukewarm times. We all go through them, and having a set routine of prayers and readings help minimize their frequency and duration.
My favorite monk, Thomas Merton, has a lot to tell us on this subject. No matter how much we are on fire for Christ, there are slow days, weeks, months, when we're wrapped up in the day to day living that is regular old life. Ordinary days. Middle days. Whatever you call them, they in fact comprise most of the days of our lives and it's easy to get sidetracked or lost if we don't have a set routine. In this regard, one may consider it easier for those in the monastery to keep their eyes on Christ because they are 'forced' by their peers to fall in line with the Daily Office. The tower bell literally rings to remind them.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:57 pm

I find myself becoming more and more like Morley.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:10 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:57 pm
A stark, raving mad version of the middle of the road Republican with a side of wtf?
—Marcus Aurelius

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:10 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
A stark, raving mad version of the middle of the road Republican with a side of wtf?
After meeting Morley in person on a zoom meeting, my theory is that he is a time traveler from the 19th century. A slightly acerbic one.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:17 pm
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
After meeting Morley in person on a zoom meeting, my theory is that he is a time traveler from the 19th century. A slightly acerbic one.
Before deciding on AMJ, you'd do well to remember how he earns his living and how that may affect your impression of him. He's better than most at showing you exactly what he wants you to see.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Before deciding on AMJ, you'd do well to remember how he earns his living and how that may affect your impression of him. He's better than most at showing you exactly what he wants you to see.
Oh, I wasn't criticizing him at all. Hope I didn't give that impression. I've been a fan of his since I saw that old video of his diatribe against a parking enforcement officer. I just think he is actually a time traveler from the mid-1800's that's all.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:26 pm
FredS wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Oh, I wasn't criticizing him at all. Hope I didn't give that impression. I've been a fan of his since I saw that old video of his diatribe against a parking enforcement officer. I just think he is actually a time traveler from the mid-1800's that's all.
I didn't take your comment as critical. I was just pointing out that you think he's an old soul, or as you put it "a time traveler", because that's what he wants you to think. God knows if there's anyone you shouldn't trust, it's an actor.

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:26 pm
FredS wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
I didn't take your comment as critical. I was just pointing out that you think he's an old soul, or as you put it "a time traveler", because that's what he wants you to think. God knows if there's anyone you shouldn't trust, it's an actor.
I think we are all actors to some degree. Most of us anyway.

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 pm
I have lost my ability to trust almost everybody and everything I hear on the news and social media. So many things that were portrayed as being fact have turned out to be outright lies. I trust very little now days. Politicians, journalists, educators, and others have been shown to be wrong, if not outright lying, about so many things that I just don't believe anything at face value anymore. All sources of information are suspect and contaminated in my opinion. It's a disorienting lost feeling, like I have lost my footing.

But there is one exception, God and his Word. Maybe I'm being shaken and stripped of my faith in words of men and directed to focus on the Word of Jesus Christ and the Bible. In fact, I'm sure of it. The Bible is the only source of knowledge that I fully trust anymore. Maybe that's the way it should be.
Mass media is primarily about selling people convincing "stories" that they want to hear; I doubt that many will get a solid perspective unless they invest their own time in some heavy reading or research, that's just me.

The other problem that I've noticed is that, sometimes when people discover something isn't trustworthy, they still have a tendency to cling to it as a form of attachment, or even resent the source of the new information for disrupting their sense of continuity (instead of adapting to it in a healthy way).

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:40 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:23 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
I have lost my ability to trust almost everybody and everything I hear on the news and social media. So many things that were portrayed as being fact have turned out to be outright lies. I trust very little now days. Politicians, journalists, educators, and others have been shown to be wrong, if not outright lying, about so many things that I just don't believe anything at face value anymore. All sources of information are suspect and contaminated in my opinion. It's a disorienting lost feeling, like I have lost my footing.

But there is one exception, God and his Word. Maybe I'm being shaken and stripped of my faith in words of men and directed to focus on the Word of Jesus Christ and the Bible. In fact, I'm sure of it. The Bible is the only source of knowledge that I fully trust anymore. Maybe that's the way it should be.
Mass media is primarily about selling people convincing "stories" that they want to hear; I doubt that many will get a solid perspective unless they invest their own time in some heavy reading or research, that's just me.

The other problem that I've noticed is that, sometimes when people discover something isn't trustworthy, they still have a tendency to cling to it as a form of attachment, or even resent the source of the new information for disrupting their sense of continuity (instead of adapting to it in a healthy way).
Thanks for joining the conversation! You should post more!
===========

It is good to balance the current noise, news, and internet chatter with some ancient wisdom. We all need to do more of this. And the world need us -- pipe-smoking Christians -- to set the example.

I am fortunate, because Pipeson is a dedicated reader of classics. He frequently sprinkles his conversations with quotes from Boethius, Scripture, and Futurama.... wisdom is everywhere, for those who can see it.

Pipeson has me reading the Dialogues of Socrates (as recorded by Plato). Funny and wise and timeless.

Last night, Socrates picked apart the statement "Man is the measure of all things" -- as taught by his contemporary, Protagorus. The first teacher of Relativism -- saying that each person measures what is true for himself. Socrates commented that Protagorus might as well have asserted that "Pig is the measure of all things" -- for a pig can hear the tree fall or smell a fart on the wind better than any man can, and thus judge the truth of that perception.

Sure beats reading the play-by-play on elections and lawsuits!
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:40 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

===========

It is good to balance the current noise, news, and internet chatter with some ancient wisdom. We all need to do more of this. And the world need us -- pipe-smoking Christians -- to set the example.

I am fortunate, because Pipeson is a dedicated reader of classics. He frequently sprinkles his conversations with quotes from Boethius, Scripture, and Futurama.... wisdom is everywhere, for those who can see it.

Pipeson has me reading the Dialogues of Socrates (as recorded by Plato). Funny and wise and timeless.

Last night, Socrates picked apart the statement "Man is the measure of all things" -- as taught by his contemporary, Protagorus. The first teacher of Relativism -- saying that each person measures what is true for himself. Socrates commented that Protagorus might as well have asserted that "Pig is the measure of all things" -- for a pig can hear the tree fall or smell a fart on the wind better than any man can, and thus judge the truth of that perception.
Thanks, I'm not of the opinion that wisdom is solely an "ancient" thing, but classical wisdom is fascinating nevertheless.
To be honest I like reading about lawsuits or governmental actions which actually matter (as distinct from the irrelevant gossip and chatter).

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Who to trust?
* Who should be used to refer to the subject of a sentence.

Well, since it's a question this can't be right

Whom to trust?

* Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition. When in doubt, try this simple trick: If you can replace the word with “he”' or “'she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom.

Who to trust?

She to trust.

ummmmm no.

Her to trust?

ummmmm no.

Now what?

* as per grammarly.com
DL Jake

It's the closest I have ever come to being in a Soviet bread line. - MrsCoco

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:17 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Who to trust?

Whom to trust?

* Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition. When in doubt, try this simple trick: If you can replace the word with “he”' or “'she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom.

Who to trust?

She to trust.

ummmmm no.

Her to trust?

ummmmm no.

Now what?

* as per grammarly.com
I guess one shouldn't trust Grammarly.com.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:43 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:17 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Who to trust?

Whom to trust?

Who to trust?

She to trust.

ummmmm no.

Her to trust?

ummmmm no.

Now what?

* as per grammarly.com
Who are you?
DL Jake

It's the closest I have ever come to being in a Soviet bread line. - MrsCoco

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:09 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:40 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

===========

Thanks, I'm not of the opinion that wisdom is solely an "ancient" thing, but classical wisdom is fascinating nevertheless.
To be honest I like reading about lawsuits or governmental actions which actually matter (as distinct from the irrelevant gossip and chatter).
Could it be? Dare I...dare I hope?
—Marcus Aurelius

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:43 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:17 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Who to trust?

Whom to trust?

Who to trust?

She to trust.

ummmmm no.

Her to trust?

ummmmm no.

Now what?

* as per grammarly.com
Who are you?