Mrs Hov and I went on a modest 'rona lockdown adventure

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Mrs Hov and I went on a modest 'rona lockdown adventure

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Not knowing the exact location and a sketchy description, we took a hike in search of the Winchell Cove Cemetery somewhere on a point overlooking Winchell Cove Marina at Millerton Lake. The road ends at the marina so it really was bushwhacking once we left the car.
This was our second attempt---on the first try Google Maps put us on the wrong road which took us close by a native Tribal cemetery which is definitely off limits. The Winchell Cove cemetery was the reinternment of the graves in the cemetery at the old county seat of Millerton, which was covered by Millerton Lake when Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River was constructed between 1937 and 1942. Millerton was a pretty rough town with a Fort, riverboat terminus, mining, cattle ranches, lots of saloons and a courthouse. It was also the trailhead for the French Trail which served to supply the mines at Mammoth on the other side of the Sierra via mule train.
In the 1980s an Eagle Scout project mapped out the graves and apparently restored the wrought iron gate which helps locating where the heck the cemetery is hidden among the oaks and chaparral.

It was great to get out during the 'rona lockdown and we had the place all to ourselves.
DEUS VULT!

Yohanan
יוֹחָנָן
יוֹחָנָן

Re: Mrs Hov and I went on a modest 'rona lockdown adventure

Post by Yohanan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:31 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm
Not knowing the exact location and a sketchy description, we took a hike in search of the Winchell Cove Cemetery somewhere on a point overlooking Winchell Cove Marina at Millerton Lake. The road ends at the marina so it really was bushwhacking once we left the car.
This was our second attempt---on the first try Google Maps put us on the wrong road which took us close by a native Tribal cemetery which is definitely off limits. The Winchell Cove cemetery was the reinternment of the graves in the cemetery at the old county seat of Millerton, which was covered by Millerton Lake when Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River was constructed between 1937 and 1942. Millerton was a pretty rough town with a Fort, riverboat terminus, mining, cattle ranches, lots of saloons and a courthouse. It was also the trailhead for the French Trail which served to supply the mines at Mammoth on the other side of the Sierra via mule train.
In the 1980s an Eagle Scout project mapped out the graves and apparently restored the wrought iron gate which helps locating where the heck the cemetery is hidden among the oaks and chaparral.

It was great to get out during the 'rona lockdown and we had the place all to ourselves.
Excellent!!! Glad you and your wife had a good time.
Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks!!Image

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm

You avoided the gestapo of coronavirus karens, you found the ancient lost cemetery, and you didn't pick up any anthrax.

Pretty good day!
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:27 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm
You avoided the gestapo of coronavirus karens, you found the ancient lost cemetery, and you didn't pick up any anthrax.

Pretty good day!
Indeed it was!
The only other people at the cemetery stayed 6' under---automatic social distancing! :D
DEUS VULT!

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:27 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm

Pretty good day!
Indeed it was!
The only other people at the cemetery stayed 6' under---automatic social distancing! :D
You made Mrs. Del laugh! :lol:
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:38 pm

I just found this about the Winchell Cove Cemetery on line!
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/237 ... r-60780160
DEUS VULT!