Dry January Anyone?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Dry January Anyone?

Post by adauria » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:04 am

This is my 4th consecutive year of taking a complete hiatus from any kind of alcohol consumption for the entire month of January. It provides a good opportunity for me to re-assess and get a deeper control over my relationship with the devil's nectar. It is not super easy, overall, but by forcing myself to experience the desire for drink without succumbing to it, I gain discipline and mastering that will help me exercise moderation for the rest of the year.

Another discovery - Last night (Sunday), after dinner with my wife but with time to kill before having to pick up our daughter from cheer practice, I was struck by how easy it would have been to kill at an hour loitering at any one of the open bars in the area (mostly attached to restaurants or breweries), and how absolutely difficult it was to kill time out of the house on a Sunday evening if not drinking.

Anyone else have any insights gained through temporary teetotaling?

-Andrew

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: Dry January Anyone?

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 pm

My wife and I did the "Whole 30" last January, and it really made a difference. No alcohol, no bread, no lots-of-stuff. Really great but not realistically sustainable for us. Now I try to stay as close to the regimen as possible. WRT solely alcohol, sometimes I go months without, and without even thinking about it. (Usually in the spring).
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Haven't had any rain here since the 1/4 inch we had way back in early November.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 pm

I’m actually doing 90 days without alcohol. It’s mostly to avoid empty calories but in all honesty since I’ve been working from home for almost year it’s just way too easy to drink to kill boredom. I found myself drinking constantly especially over the holidays. I love booze and don’t plan on quitting all together but just need a break.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am

I've lost close to 20lb as a result! I weigh less now than. I have for a very long time. I used alcohol to help get to sleep and use 100mg of melatonin now.

There were some health things coming up that may have been alcohol related. I was experiencing wacky blood sugar among other things. Thay was scary.

I've not given it up 100% but quite a bit. My wallet is heavier and my belly is lighter. It is good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 pm
My wife and I did the "Whole 30" last January, and it really made a difference. No alcohol, no bread, no lots-of-stuff. Really great but not realistically sustainable for us. Now I try to stay as close to the regimen as possible. WRT solely alcohol, sometimes I go months without, and without even thinking about it. (Usually in the spring).
I have cut way down on my alcohol too.... in the same absent-minded way.

I blame covid. My smeller and taster are still impaired, and nothing much tastes interesting. I hardly smoke my pipe too, which I miss more acutely.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:24 pm

My wife is doing dry January and I've been dry for 20 months now.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:26 pm

I haven't had alcohol ever BECAUSE I'M A CHRISTIAN

kidding I'm drunk right now

Kidding

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm

I had never heard of Dry January until I saw this comic earlier today:

I am being dry, cutting carbs, on South Beach Phase One. Black coffee, tea, ice-water. No whiskey, no wine... and no sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, corn or rice. I am ten days in, about 5 pounds lighter, and pretty sure I'll stay in Phase One for all of January. I have an opened bottle of Chardonnay in my fridge. I put one of those suck-the-air-out-of-the-bottle kinds of corks in there, and hope it'll keep all right.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

adauria

Post by adauria » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing your stories guys.

A common thread I see is weight loss as either incidental or a goal of dietary and drinking changes. I've actually be intermittent fasting for a few months and dropped nearly 20 lbs from that skipping breakfasts and occasionally lunches too, but I had plateaued. Now that I'm dry for the last 2 weeks, I've dropped another few lbs without any other changes (if anything, I'm eating lunch more often).

I too know the trap of drinking due to boredom. And it TOTALLY works for that, but maybe not the best way to deal with it. I am reading a lot more lately anyway.

I've also found having a good substitute for the drinking habit can help. Many nights I've been making myself a large cup of mint tea (no tea, all mint) instead of the whiskey I would often enjoy. After January, I might continue this substitution, at least some nights.

-Andrew

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 pm

I haven't had any alcohol in 3 or 4 days. Going to do something about that tonight! :bacon:
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:18 am

I usually drink one beer a night. I might go for dry February.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am

Jester wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:18 am
I usually drink one beer a night. I might go for dry February.
I made it to dry through the 14th.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo