Quick Album Reviews

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Quick Album Reviews

Post by coco » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 am

Obviously, CPS does not have enough music threads.

This one is for short album reviews. Post a few sentences on entire albums as an artistic work, not just individual songs.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Quick Album Reviews

Post by coco » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 am

After Hours by The Weeknd (2020)
7/10
Genre: Pop/R&B
Best tracks: “Blinding Lights,” “Save Your Tears”

The Weeknd has come a long way from his earlier works like Starboy, though the darkness of his previous works remains. This album is largely a collection of R&B slow jams with a distinctively 80’s electro-pop edge. Notably, it is not a collection of unrelated songs, but a full story about love lost and a rough night in Vegas.

It begins slow, with quiet, introspective songs and then shifts its tone with the debauched “Heartless,” which portrays the emptiness of hedonism with startling honesty compared with most rap. The theme of the vapidness of ethereal pleasure continues with his loss of faith and religion (“Faith”). The Weeknd’s wildly 70’s, red-jacketed protagonist then looks for solace in the “Blinding Lights” of Vegas, while still being haunted by the memory of his ex. This leads him to a further quest for joy in sin, embracing even the most culturally inappropriate act, murder. Hedonism offers no lasting joy for him or his ex, however (“Repeat After Me”). He believes that joy can only be found in regaining his lost love, which seemingly lies beyond possibility. In the end, this story offers no hope, which hardly surprises me, since real hope only lies in Christ.

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:50 pm

JOHN PRINE - CROOKED PIECE OF TIME 1971-1980

This is a seven disk set of the Atlantic and Asylum records.
Anyone late to discovering John Prine needs this fairly exhaustive collection available for less than $50 (or just to tighten up mixed bag of cassettes, CDs and bootlegs, like I did). Add the Tree of Forgiveness album from the last months of his days to make a library complete.
Crossing genres but always painting word pictures that put one in familiar places while provoking thoughts and smiles were his deep talents.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:03 pm

Artist: UNLEASH THE ARCHERS
Album: APEX -- 2017 (Napalm Records)

Quick Album Review: It's really good.

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:43 am

Artist: Los Campesinos!

Album: Hold On Now Youngster... (2008)

Quick review: Sonic Youth from Wales with violins and glockenspiels. Post-punk the way it should be- incorporating the excesses of 70s art rock with the simplistic guitar rock of the Ramones and a McCartney/Lennon tension reminiscent of Cobain without the gloom the frontman will be dead in 5 years. Later albums might be technically better, but this one has male/ female vocals trading off at rapid pace making the latter albums seem like the Beastie Boys if MCA dropped out for reasons other than existence failure.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa (2020)
5/10
Genre: Pop

80's influenced pop that isn't quite as vapid as most, the sort of stuff that will make Wos dance. This is the musical equivalent of an action movie: It doesn't require a lot of thought, but it can provide a nice respite from the troubles of the world.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:54 pm

St. Cloud by Waxahatchee (2020)
No something/10 rating for this one, see review
Genre: Americana

Alabama native Katie Crutchfield recorded her first album in her parent's basement with nothing but an acoustic guitar. Much like her first album, this is folksy Americana at its best; lyrically superb with beautiful arrangements. Sadly, I don't like that kind of music. FredS should check this one out.

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:55 pm

Coco, you listen to some hip tunes!
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Honeymoon by Beach Bunny (2020)
8/10
Genre: Post-punk

I've been excited about this one since "Ms. California" was released in late 2019. Most music these days is produced by committees with computers to be "sung" by a model who is auto-tuned to plastic perfection. This album proves that there are still a few talented real people who can write intelligent lyrics and play actual instruments to make a successful album.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Manic by Halsey (2020)
2.5/10
Genre: Pop

Halsey manages to be both predictable and insipid. Skip this one.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:16 pm

The Police, Synchronicity, side B. I think it was the last vinyl record album side that I listened to as a whole. That's a sucky review. But I loved it.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:41 pm

I think fans of this thread might enjoy this site:

https://1001albumsgenerator.com/

-Andrew

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:50 pm
JOHN PRINE - CROOKED PIECE OF TIME 1971-1980

This is a seven disk set of the Atlantic and Asylum records.
Anyone late to discovering John Prine needs this fairly exhaustive collection available for less than $50 (or just to tighten up mixed bag of cassettes, CDs and bootlegs, like I did). Add the Tree of Forgiveness album from the last months of his days to make a library complete.
Crossing genres but always painting word pictures that put one in familiar places while provoking thoughts and smiles were his deep talents.
I hope you all got this box set.
I was going to buy one for a gift today. Now out of stock everywhere and selling for $150+ on eBay.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

adauria

Post by adauria » Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm

adauria wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:41 pm

-Andrew
Today on that website I was served up "The Score" by The Fugees. After sampling a few songs, I entered my quickest album review yet: "I hate everything about it."

-Andrew

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 pm

adauria wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm
adauria wrote:

-Andrew
Today on that website I was served up "The Score" by The Fugees. After sampling a few songs, I entered my quickest album review yet: "I hate everything about it."

-Andrew
I had trouble getting through many of the albums they suggested and turned it off.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Wed May 05, 2021 3:25 pm

John Moreland - In The Throes (2013)

Tulsa native John Moreland recorded an album of slow to mid tempo acoustic songs that to me are best described as Americana. This is easy listening stuff - it's not quite country, but it's not exactly folk either. I can really get lost in the music, and it has a calming effect on me without being overstimulating. Off the top of my head it's difficult to pick favorite songs from this one - the whole album only runs 38 minutes, so usually if I'm listening to one song I'm listening to all of them.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

adauria

Post by adauria » Thu May 06, 2021 10:55 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 pm
adauria wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm
adauria wrote:

-Andrew

-Andrew
I had trouble getting through many of the albums they suggested and turned it off.

Baby to bathwater ratio on the list of 1000 albums isn't great, but you can always skip that day's suggestion. I found a few previously-unknown-to-me gems so far.

-Andrew

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Adam Z wrote:John Moreland - In The Throes (2013)

Tulsa native John Moreland recorded an album of slow to mid tempo acoustic songs that to me are best described as Americana. This is easy listening stuff - it's not quite country, but it's not exactly folk either. I can really get lost in the music, and it has a calming effect on me without being overstimulating. Off the top of my head it's difficult to pick favorite songs from this one - the whole album only runs 38 minutes, so usually if I'm listening to one song I'm listening to all of them.
Love his stuff.