The Cause Of the Extreme Cold In Texas

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

The Cause Of the Extreme Cold In Texas

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 am

"Over the course of just a few days in late December and early January, temperatures in the atmosphere high above the North Pole warmed by 100 degrees Fahrenheit — jumping from minus -110 degrees Fahrenheit to minus -10. This enabled a broad mountain of warm air to form over the Arctic, supplanting the cold vortex. That warm mountain of air acted as an atmospheric block, redirecting the jet stream and bitter cold air southward.

"What made this particular situation historic was that the core of the cold air — a piece of the polar vortex — plunged much further south than it really ever does: a full 4,000 miles from its usual home near the North Pole.".....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/whats-behind ... 54794.html
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Re: The Cause Of the Extreme Cold In Texas

Post by TheShepherd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 am
"Over the course of just a few days in late December and early January, temperatures in the atmosphere high above the North Pole warmed by 100 degrees Fahrenheit — jumping from minus -110 degrees Fahrenheit to minus -10. This enabled a broad mountain of warm air to form over the Arctic, supplanting the cold vortex. That warm mountain of air acted as an atmospheric block, redirecting the jet stream and bitter cold air southward.

"What made this particular situation historic was that the core of the cold air — a piece of the polar vortex — plunged much further south than it really ever does: a full 4,000 miles from its usual home near the North Pole.".....

This article was written by meteorologist Jeff Berdarelli. I'm curious what the logic is behind this.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:51 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:

This article was written by meteorologist Jeff Berdarelli. I'm curious what the logic is behind this.
Published by YAHOO! News.

The logic is simple: Every notable extreme weather event (such as happen every year) must be blamed upon the bogey-god of "Climate Change." Every drought, every flood, every tropical storm during hurricane season, every beautiful flourish of autumn leaves. This display of deep cold across the temperate latitudes must be caused by global warming.

That is the "logic" of this story. It may or may not be true, but this is why YAHOO! News is reporting it.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Yohanan
יוֹחָנָן
יוֹחָנָן

Post by Yohanan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Bad stuff be happening since the Beginning, Will it get Better or Worse? Who Knows!!! Pray and hang on just like our Forefathers.
Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks!!Image

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Trump.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:51 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

The logic is simple: Every notable extreme weather event (such as happen every year) must be blamed upon the bogey-god of "Climate Change." Every drought, every flood, every tropical storm during hurricane season, every beautiful flourish of autumn leaves. This display of deep cold across the temperate latitudes must be caused by global warming.

That is the "logic" of this story. It may or may not be true, but this is why YAHOO! News is reporting it.
Right, there's a tendency for confirmation bias, particularly if the subject matter is laden with lots of irrational fearfulness.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 pm
Del wrote:
TheShepherd wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Right, there's a tendency for confirmation bias, particularly if the subject matter is laden with lots of irrational fearfulness.
Even without the mythology of climate change, the story is interesting. A sudden increase in the temperature at the North Pole during the extreme dark of winter created a high pressure system that pushed a huge Arctic air mass deep into the temperate latitudes -- reminding Texans to hold on to their energy reserves for cold, icy days.

I am curious what actually caused the polar high pressure. How often has this happened before?

We had a big polar vortex system a few years ago. (The Jussie Smollett Scam happened in the midst of it.) That system was much colder, but it didn't push down as far south as this one.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 pm
Del wrote:
TheShepherd wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Even without the mythology of climate change, the story is interesting. A sudden increase in the temperature at the North Pole during the extreme dark of winter created a high pressure system that pushed a huge Arctic air mass deep into the temperate latitudes -- reminding Texans to hold on to their energy reserves for cold, icy days.

I am curious what actually caused the polar high pressure. How often has this happened before?

We had a big polar vortex system a few years ago. (The Jussie Smollett Scam happened in the midst of it.) That system was much colder, but it didn't push down as far south as this one.
My serious answer: When you pump energy into a stable system, the system tends towards chaos. (I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on the last one. If not, mea culpa.)
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm
My serious answer: When you pump energy into a stable system, the system tends towards chaos. (I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on the last one. If not, mea culpa.)
That's some pretty solid thermodynamics, right there!

Here's a pretty good article that tries to explain all of the explaining.
3 Things People Get Wrong About The Polar Vortex And Climate Change

Summary:
1) The Polar Vortex is an old, well-known, and mostly stable weather phenomenon found at the pole. Sometimes it escapes its corral.

2) Long-term climate trends do not "cause" individual weather events. But we can notice that the long climate trends leave some fingerprints. As coco notes: with more energy in the system, we aren't surprised when the fence around the polar vortex gets a little weaker.

3) A polar trough over the central US is still a relatively small event, as far as global weather is concerned. It's not prophesying another Ice Age.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:22 pm

I wish SRV was still with us. I can imagine him playing a good blues tune about all this.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:17 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:22 pm
I wish SRV was still with us. I can imagine him playing a good blues tune about all this.
"Texas Snownado"
"Pride and the Joy of Being Able to Flush"

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:17 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
"Texas Snownado"
When it's snowing down in Texas,
All the utilities are down.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:32 am

When it’s snowing down in Texas...it’s still much worse in Minnesota :wavey:
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:45 am

Global warming.

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 am

Hear me out....

Frost Giants.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:18 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 am
Hear me out....

Frost Giants.
Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the Frost Giants.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Pretty sure winter had a lot to do with it.
DL Jake

Neanderthals didn't have carpet and their babies grew up to slay mammoths. - SlowToke

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:18 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 am
Hear me out....

Frost Giants.
Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the Frost Giants.
:mrgreen:
DL Jake

Neanderthals didn't have carpet and their babies grew up to slay mammoths. - SlowToke

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
"Texas Snownado"
... Frost Giant tryin' to get my baby
Lord, the Asgardians can't be found

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:16 am

coco wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm
coco wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
"Texas Snownado"
... Frost Giant tryin' to get my baby
Lord, the Asgardians can't be found

G. K. Chesterton