Ringtones on a Droid, from MP3

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Ringtones on a Droid, from MP3

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 pm

Anyone else have a Droid phone, and has a custom ringtone from an MP3 file? How do you add an MP3 to the ringtone list? I'm tired of reading instructions from google searches, because none of them work.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: Ringtones on a Droid, from MP3

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:58 pm

I have an android and I gave up and just use the supplied ring tones...I amy try again at some point...but...

Sorry this was not helpful
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 pm

If anyone figures this out please post here, I've tried and failed.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:36 am

I did this a year or two ago. Let me see if I can remember how I did it.

michigander

Post by michigander » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:26 am

Note: My phone just got upgraded to UI 3.0. I'm not sure, but I think it was slightly different before. This assumes you have mp3s on your phone.

Go to Settings-> Sounds and Vibration -> Ringtone

At the top (right) of the Rintone page is a +

Click that and then you should be at the "Sound Picker" screen and see a list of mp3s on your phone. If you want the ringtone to start at the beginning of the song, turn off the switch that says "Play selected highlights only". Otherwise you get some random excerpt from the song. If you want a specific part of the song that's not at the beginning, I think you'll need to edit the mp3 elsewhere and create a unique mp3.

After you select the mp3 click "Done" and it should be added to the top of your ringtone list. Then you can go into "Contacts" and edit the contact info to assign the ringtone (note: you will have to click on "more" once in the edit contact info in order to get to the ringtone selection.)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:07 pm

michigander wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:26 am
Note: My phone just got upgraded to UI 3.0. I'm not sure, but I think it was slightly different before. This assumes you have mp3s on your phone.

Click that and then you should be at the "Sound Picker" screen and see a list of mp3s on your phone. If you want the ringtone to start at the beginning of the song, turn off the switch that says "Play selected highlights only". Otherwise you get some random excerpt from the song. If you want a specific part of the song that's not at the beginning, I think you'll need to edit the mp3 elsewhere and create a unique mp3.

After you select the mp3 click "Done" and it should be added to the top of your ringtone list. Then you can go into "Contacts" and edit the contact info to assign the ringtone (note: you will have to click on "more" once in the edit contact info in order to get to the ringtone selection.)
Thanks, boss, I'll try this.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:37 pm

If you want to edit an MP3 or any audio file, I would recommend using Audacity on a computer. I'm sure there are phone apps for this too, but I don't know what they are.

-Andrew

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 pm
Anyone else have a Droid phone, and has a custom ringtone from an MP3 file? How do you add an MP3 to the ringtone list? I'm tired of reading instructions from google searches, because none of them work.
That is not the droid I'm looking for.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:55 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 pm
That is not the droid I'm looking for.
:)
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 pm

michigander wrote:

Thanks. The problem is, there are no other options, other than default ringtone choices, when going to settings - sound - ringtone. There is no + or any menu on the ringtone page. The MP3 I want is saved to music files, and I also tried routing from there. One instruction I found indicated that an app must be added and launched, that will then allow access to the desired mp3 from the ringtone page. I looked at it but ultimately distrusted the whole thing and uninstalled the app. I may just drop by the Verizon store tmrw. Heh, wish me luck with that.

G. K. Chesterton

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 pm

Alt-Thread Ideas.

Ringtones of a 'rhoid, from MP3

Ringtones of a Rhino Fart, from the jungle

Ringworm in a droid, Star Wars one off flick <insert title here>

Wing Tomes on parchment from old Chinese monks

Tones of ringing there are. From thy butt they commence.
DL Jake

Neanderthals didn't have carpet and their babies grew up to slay mammoths. - SlowToke

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 pm

Ringtones of a 'rhoid, from MP3

Ringtones of a Rhino Fart, from the jungle

Ringworm in a droid, Star Wars one off flick <insert title here>

Wing Tomes on parchment from old Chinese monks

Tones of ringing there are. From thy butt they commence.
I'll take Wing tomes on parchment from old Chinese monks for $20, please, (Alex?).

G. K. Chesterton

michigander

Post by michigander » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:49 am

sweetandsour wrote:
michigander wrote:

Thanks. The problem is, there are no other options, other than default ringtone choices, when going to settings - sound - ringtone. There is no + or any menu on the ringtone page. The MP3 I want is saved to music files, and I also tried routing from there. One instruction I found indicated that an app must be added and launched, that will then allow access to the desired mp3 from the ringtone page. I looked at it but ultimately distrusted the whole thing and uninstalled the app. I may just drop by the Verizon store tmrw. Heh, wish me luck with that.
That's a bummer. Mine looks like this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 pm

michigander wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:49 am
sweetandsour wrote:
michigander wrote:

Thanks, got it! (I connected the phone to my computer, and was able to copy the mp3 and paste it into the ringtone folder.)

G. K. Chesterton

michigander

Post by michigander » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:55 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 pm
michigander wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:49 am
sweetandsour wrote:
michigander wrote:

Thanks, got it! (I connected the phone to my computer, and was able to copy the mp3 and paste it into the ringtone folder.)
:chili: