The Garden Thread 2021

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: The Garden Thread 2021

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 am

I culled one rather unsavory Zucchini plant today. Not sure what went on with that one, but the Eggplants seem to be happy with the extra space afforded(they share a raised bed) :oops:
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:17 pm

I finished most of the electric fence today. At 150' long and 75' wide, it took a little longer than I'd like. I still need to run a wire from the power box to the fence, but I'll have to do that tomorrow. The corn and purple hulls are sprouting though which makes me happy to see. Some of the zucchini and squash have sprouted as well. My okra, watermelon, and cantaloupe haven't broke ground yet.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 pm

We've gotten some decent rain lately. All my corn, peas, squash, and zucchini have sprouted. Most of my okra has as well. Tomato and pepper plants seem healthy. Only about a third of my watermelons have sprouted. I'm going to give them until the end of the weekend and if the ones that haven't yet broken ground I'm going to replant as I think I planted too deep. My cantaloupe is planted on the very top row and it's mostly red clay...worried they won't make it. I have about half of an unused row so will probably plant some more there.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm

I never realized watermelons grew like this...

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 pm

JMG wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm
I never realized watermelons grew like this...

The vines do, at least.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:17 am

JMG wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:17 pm
I finished most of the electric fence today. At 150' long and 75' wide, it took a little longer than I'd like. I still need to run a wire from the power box to the fence, but I'll have to do that tomorrow. The corn and purple hulls are sprouting though which makes me happy to see. Some of the zucchini and squash have sprouted as well. My okra, watermelon, and cantaloupe haven't broke ground yet.

That's looking good. It'd be a little late for here on the coast, except for the okra. But that said, my garden is taken over with weeds and the tomatoes are infested, with all the rain we had this spring. When it dries out a little I'll pull it all up or mow it, and plant okra. Btw it'll be interesting whether you'll have melons ready by July 4. Melons are a good roadside cash crop here. Corn too.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton