The Garden Thread 2021

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: The Garden Thread 2021

Post by sweetandsour » Tue May 04, 2021 8:38 pm

Picked the first blackberries today. Im disappointed in the amount of blooms that aren't producing berries. Lots of them. There were bees around, so I don't know what the problem is.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 pm

The San Marzano has already grown past the top of the tomato cage 8O
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 05, 2021 7:18 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:01 pm
The San Marzano has already grown past the top of the tomato cage 8O
I don't know if I did the right thing, but I pruned my tomato plants, trimming lower branches, and the largest non-producing branches. They just looked out of control, like a thick jungle, so I gave them some air. I'd heard of topping tomato plants, particularly celebrities. But anyway we'll see. I've got blooms but no small fruit yet, on tomatoes and peppers both.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 22, 2021 11:20 am

Kudzus annihilated my Sugar Snaps seemingly overnight 8O
Oh well, I planted too big of a garden for our drought restrictions anyway. <redacted_emoji>

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 22, 2021 11:24 am

Plenty of Curly Italians, 6-8" long are ready for harvest but I'll let them reach the 1 ft. length.
So far, no Jalapenos though.
Eggplants are 2-3" long.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat May 22, 2021 1:30 pm

Blackberries are done. Butter beans and muscadines are full of blooms. Peppers are beginning to bloom. Tomatoes have a few small fruit and a few blossoms, but I'm not sure what effect all this rain will have.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 22, 2021 3:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:30 pm
Blackberries are done. Butter beans and muscadines are full of blooms. Peppers are beginning to bloom. Tomatoes have a few small fruit and a few blossoms, but I'm not sure what effect all this rain will have.
Blossom end rot can be a problem with 'maters that get wet. I already have one green San Marzano with end rot----so far that's all(knock on wood!)

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Sat May 22, 2021 4:02 pm

I had two tomatoes starting to turn red before the rain. Both of them split wide open after the first downpour.

The dewberries are starting to ripen at work. I gotta let the ground dry a bit before I can do some picking.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am

The Armenian cucumbers have arrived with a vengeance 8O

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 28, 2021 11:39 am

A couple of my peppers came up as Hungarians, not the Curly Italians and Jalapenos I planted.
The Hungarians were evicted and I just replaced them with Fresnos.
Darned Hungarians :facepalm:

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 28, 2021 5:16 pm

I just learned that our old blind and deaf terrier really likes cucumbers.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Fri May 28, 2021 6:47 pm

FINALLY got seed in the ground today. It sure was something special for me to watch my girls out in the same garden I worked in at their age (and younger). I'm going to have to bust up the top 3 or 4 rows up some more. For some reason that spot is holding water and things are still too clumpy. I wish I had a rototiller for the tractor. Once I get it disced up better I'm going to use the Gravely with the plow and work some wider rows to plant watermelons and cantaloupe...hopefully tomorrow. Right now, I've got three rows of sweet corn, one row of field corn, four rows of purple hull peas, half row of squash, half row of okra. I'm probably going to plant just a single row of butter beans to eat off of and not put away. And maybe a half row of bell peppers and the other half in zucchini or eggplant. I'll pick that seed up tomorrow.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat May 29, 2021 7:06 am

The Westlands water district cut off all ag deliveries for the season because of the drought.
That's a lot of acreage out of production.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westlands Water District is a water district in central California, a local-government entity formed in 1952, that holds long-term contracts for water supplied by the Central Valley Project and the California State Water Project.

It is the largest agricultural water district in the US, and provides water to farms in an area of approximately 600,000 acres (2,400 km²) in Fresno County and Kings County in the San Joaquin Valley of central California. Its headquarters are in Fresno.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:06 am
The Westlands water district cut off all ag deliveries for the season because of the drought.

Westlands Water District is a water district in central California, a local-government entity formed in 1952, that holds long-term contracts for water supplied by the Central Valley Project and the California State Water Project.

It is the largest agricultural water district in the US, and provides water to farms in an area of approximately 600,000 acres (2,400 km²) in Fresno County and Kings County in the San Joaquin Valley of central California. Its headquarters are in Fresno.
You need Wos' "It's happening" meme.

G. K. Chesterton

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sat May 29, 2021 5:55 pm

Not sure if flowers belong on this thread.

These are the hydrangeas that my Mamaw planted back when this house was built back in '49. They had gotten kind of sickly the last few years with no one living here. I pruned them way back in late winter and boy have they come back to life! There's another bush out of frame.

Some I cut off today that were sitting on the ground...
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 30, 2021 2:03 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:55 pm

These are the hydrangeas that my Mamaw planted back when this house was built back in '49. They had gotten kind of sickly the last few years with no one living here. I pruned them way back in late winter and boy have they come back to life! There's another bush out of frame.

Pretty. I've liked the color of blue hydrangeas since I was a kid. My mom grew them in our yard, but I think they require lots of water. From memory (W/O looking it up) I've either heard or read that the color of the flowers can be manipulated, depending on the amount of water, soil conditions and maybe other things.

G. K. Chesterton

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun May 30, 2021 4:16 pm

I thought I was going to have tomatoes to show off here by Memorial Day--something Daddy would have occasionally and brag about.

I have several green Park Whoppers and San Marzanos of mature size, but they have not begun to ripen. I do not have enough to pull any to fry green.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun May 30, 2021 4:16 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:03 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:55 pm

Pretty. I've liked the color of blue hydrangeas since I was a kid. My mom grew them in our yard, but I think they require lots of water. From memory (W/O looking it up) I've either heard or read that the color of the flowers can be manipulated, depending on the amount of water, soil conditions and maybe other things.
Soil pH determines the bloom color.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 pm
Hovannes wrote:

It should be motivation to plant a garden this year---food is gonna get more 'spensive at the grocery store

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon May 31, 2021 9:54 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 pm
Hovannes wrote:

It should be motivation to plant a garden this year---food is gonna get more 'spensive at the grocery store
Yep, it already is, and rising.

G. K. Chesterton