Your First Watch...do you remember?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Your First Watch...do you remember?

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:41 pm

We have a couple of long running watch threads...but not one about first watches. I wish I still had my first watch. For Christmas when I was about 6 my great aunt and uncle got me a Buffy and Jody Sheffield Reader Watch. It came with a maginfier and was set up to teach a kid to tell time. I found a picture. Heck, most of you likely don't remember Family Affair or even know who Buffy & Jody were...

Any way it was my first watch...no idea where it went...just don't have it any more but I remember my great uncle asking me at Christmas dinner, "Hey Little Joe, what time is it" and being able to look at my watch and tell him. I think mine had a black band...but it did have the circle/holes in the band.

First watch anyone?
Last edited by Bloodhound on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: Your First Watch...do you remember?

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 pm

My First real watch was the Casio G-Shock in the early 80's
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:15 pm

My first watch was some sort of silver Timex with a silver metal band that trapped arm hairs.

I remember Family Affair. I always thought Br. Nikolai (Monarchist) looked like Mr French
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:13 pm

It was a wind up Timex Camper.
It was given to me by my granny on my 5th birthday. It had a nylon-velcro type nato strap that was too long so I cut it and it kept fraying. I don't know what happened to it. I wish I still had it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:31 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 pm
My First real watch was the Casio G-Shock in the early 80's
Whippersnapper
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:15 pm
My first watch was some sort of silver Timex with a silver metal band that trapped arm hairs.

I remember Family Affair. I always thought Br. Nikolai (Monarchist) looked like Mr French
me too
Scott ( aka - Thor )

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 pm

Early 70s Micky Mouse wind-up. It got wet in a vicious water hose attack by my brother and stopped working. I wrapped it in a Kleenex hoping it would be repairable and my mom threw it away thinking it was trash.

The whole event resulted in deep emotional scarring that, over time, I had suppressed... until now.

Thanks for that.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:47 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 pm
Early 70s Micky Mouse wind-up. It got wet in a vicious water hose attack by my brother and stopped working. I wrapped it in a Kleenex hoping it would be repairable and my mom threw it away thinking it was trash.

The whole event resulted in deep emotional scarring that, over time, I had suppressed... until now.

Thanks for that.
CPS.
Working as intended.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:48 pm

I can’t remember my first watch.
Now I’m going crazy trying to remember.

Thanks for that, too.

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:08 pm

I think the first watch I bought for myself was a super cheap wind-up pocket watch I bought from Walgreens in Jr High. It kept horrible time, but I carried it often through jr high, in spite of the mockery, tied to an old black shoelace (that’s the way my grandpa carried his). I think I still have it somewhere at my parent’s house. The plastic ‘crystal’ was cracked and the back dented up if I remember right.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:40 am

Mickey Mouse with red leather band. Then Timex with a stretch metal band like Daddy wore.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:41 pm
We have a couple of long running watch threads...but not one about first watches. I wish I still had my first watch. For Christmas when I was about 6 my great aunt and uncle got me a Buffy and Jody Sheffield Reader Watch. It came with a maginfier and was set up to teach a kid to tell time. I found a picture. Heck, most of you likely don't remember Family Affair or even know who Buffy & Jody were...

Any way it was my first watch...no idea where it went...just don't have it any more but I remember my great uncle asking me at Christmas dinner, "Hey Little Joe, what time is it" and being able to look at my watch and tell him. I think mine had a black band...but it did have the circle/holes in the band.

First watch anyone?
I'm so glad you posted this! I had that exact same watch with a black band and silver rather than gold tone metal. It lasted for many many years. In fact, I don't think it ever quit working, rather I think that I eventually lost it as best I can recall. It was a really solid watch and I would buy one today if they still made them. What a great memory.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:08 pm
I think the first watch I bought for myself was a super cheap wind-up pocket watch I bought from Walgreens in Jr High. It kept horrible time, but I carried it often through jr high, in spite of the mockery, tied to an old black shoelace (that’s the way my grandpa carried his). I think I still have it somewhere at my parent’s house. The plastic ‘crystal’ was cracked and the back dented up if I remember right.
My Jr High went through the pocket watch revival in the late 60's too. I'm ashamed to admit that I stole mine from the Ben Franklin store downtown. I ended up trading it for a 10-speed bike that I'm sure was as hot as the watch.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:42 am

Timex Snoopy and the Red Baron

8)
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Early on, I purchased a pocket watch. It was a pain, to pull it out of my pocket, when I needed to know the time. No idea when it disappeared.

Since then, I have purchased a $5 wrist watch. When it died, I bought another $5 watch. Repeat cycle every time my watch died or was lost. I have no idea how many times this cycle has gone through.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:59 pm

The earliest I can remember is a crappy Guess watch when I was a teenager. Guess watches were super popular amongst teenagers in the 80's. I'm sure I probably had cheap watches before that but I can't remember. I've never really been much of a watch kinda guy. Stopped wearing them in my early twenties because I felt like I was a prisoner to time letting it dictate everything I did. And, then smartphones came along. Ugh! I would be perfectly content to not have a cellphone.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:19 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:42 am
Timex Snoopy and the Red Baron

8)
My first real watch was a Wile E Coyote. I think I may have been in 7th grade? Before that, it was cheap digital hand-me-downs.