Where Were You When Elvis Left The Building?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
daveinlax
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Where Were You When Elvis Left The Building?

Post by daveinlax » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:23 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:04 pm
I was 14. My mom was a big fan...I knew music then...but Elvis was way down the list...I had the Eagles, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac...I knew who he was but he wasn't on my play list. I remember my mom being really upset.
I was about the same age and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my last summer of childhood and I remember it as a hot sweaty summer, sleeping all morning and spending the day getting baked listening to Rumors and hanging at the pool where I heard the news. I had always been fascinated by Elvis and was glued to our TV though his Funeral. TCB RIP :pipe:

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 pm

I was six years old and remember hearing about it. I didn't really have an appreciation for Elvis then. I do remember thinking it was odd that he died on the toilet. My parents were more into the Beatles, The Beach Boys, ABBA, Julio Iglesias, Jan and Dean, and Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons. At least those were the records they played the most on the turntable on the weekends as I remember it.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Perhaps, his all time greatest performance is "An American Trilogy," from the January 14, 1973 Aloha From Hawaii Concert beamed live across the Globe via Satellite...

Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:39 am

SlowToke wrote:I was six years old and remember hearing about it. I didn't really have an appreciation for Elvis then. I do remember thinking it was odd that he died on the toilet. My parents were more into the Beatles, The Beach Boys, ABBA, Julio Iglesias, Jan and Dean, and Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons. At least those were the records they played the most on the turntable on the weekends as I remember it.
My wife found out he may have had Hirshprungs. We have a child with the affliction. She read an article by Elvis' doctor about it. He would take something to plug him up prior to a show and something to clean him out after. He OD'd on that.

Or so I understand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:33 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:04 pm
I was 14. My mom was a big fan...I knew music then...but Elvis was way down the list...I had the Eagles, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac...I knew who he was but he wasn't on my play list. I remember my mom being really upset.
Upset that Elvis died or that he wasn't on your play list; or both?
Yes...to all the above :) She cried when Mama Cass died, and she locked herself in her room when Elvis died.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:38 pm

Shortly after Elvis died, George Jones released this song....

G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:53 pm

My parents met each other in 79 - if I recall correctly. I was born in 81, by which time Elvis had been dead for over 4 years.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka