Hand Planes...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Hand Planes...

Post by JMG » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 pm

Show us what you got...

Currently, I only have #3, #4, and a #7 Stanley and I also have a Wards Master #5. I've only gotten around to restoring one of them, the Stanley Sweetheart #3, but am very happy with how it turned out. I've posted it before, but hey, what's another time around...

Stanley Bailey Type 13 #3 Hand Plane, manufactured: 1925-1928

Can't believe this sticker has survived all these years...

Stanley Bailey Type 15 #7 Hand Plane (1931-1932) This is my big smoothing plane. Very much looking forward to seeing it restored. It's apx. 21 1/2" long.

Type 19 Stanley Bailey #4 Hand Plane (1948-1961)

Wards Master #5 Hand Plane I don't know how to date this brand. It's looks extremely similar to all the Stanleys I have. Overall it's in good shape and should clean up nicely.

Group shots:

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Hand Planes...

Post by Steverino » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 pm

I've got two or three, I'll try to get them out tomorrow if I feel like it and snap a couple of shots. Would really like to have a full-size jointer.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Steverino wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 pm
I've got two or three, I'll try to get them out tomorrow if I feel like it and snap a couple of shots. Would really like to have a full-size jointer.
Me too, bud. It's on my tool list.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:24 am

Oh, man. I thought this would be a hand shadow puppets thread.
DL Jake

You should see if they can recalibrate your internal clock forward a month. - Cleon

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:46 am

I've got an old jack plane of my grandfathers packed away. It's been down a hard road, but all the pieces are there. It's on the someday list to be restored.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:50 am

"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am

JMG wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 pm
Ever watch those Japanese planing contests?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am
JMG wrote:
Ever watch those Japanese planing contests?
Oh, yeah. 30’ paper thin ribbons!

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:25 pm

This morning I put my Stanley Bailey #5 in a box and put Eezox on all the screw heads I could see.
The quality of the construction is much better than on that #4-ish Franken-plane (which I'm returning to the nether regions of the garage!)
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 am

The Eezox loosened the screws enough for disassembly, so now the parts are soaking in vinegar for de-rusting. :chili:
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 am
The Eezox loosened the screws enough for disassembly, so now the parts are soaking in vinegar for de-rusting. :chili:
Score.

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:55 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about sticking your hand out the window while driving on the freeway and changing the angle of your hand to increase and/or decrease altitude. :|
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 pm

I found my grandfather's Bailey #5.

It's not in too good a shape.

The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Ah, now this is a fun thread. I’ve gotten to appreciate good hand tools more and more now that I have an actual shop that’s dry and well stocked. ;)

Most of these are not not actually mine, but as I’m the solely responsible for our woodworking program at the ranch, I think of them as mine. I’ll take pics tomorrow, but I regularly use:
Stanley #’s 4, 5, and 6; a Stanley low angle block plane (110?), cabinet scraper (80), a Stanley corner or edge plane, and (our most recent addition) a Veritas medium shoulder plane. More details tomorrow or Thursday, but hand planes are rapidly becoming an enthusiasm of mine.

I’d dearly love a good #7 jointer and maybe a small smoothing plane. Not to mention router planes...
Sola Deo Gloria

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 pm

You should try this website out and find out the date for that plane: https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanle ... ype-study/

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:14 pm

JMG wrote:
Show us what you got...

Currently, I only have #3, #4, and a #7 Stanley and I also have a Wards Master #5. I've only gotten around to restoring one of them, the Stanley Sweetheart #3, but am very happy with how it turned out. I've posted it before, but hey, what's another time around...

Stanley Bailey Type 13 #3 Hand Plane, manufactured: 1925-1928

Can't believe this sticker has survived all these years...

Stanley Bailey Type 15 #7 Hand Plane (1931-1932) This is my big jointer plane. Very much looking forward to seeing it restored. It's apx. 21 1/2" long.

Type 19 Stanley Bailey #4 Hand Plane (1948-1961)

Wards Master #5 Hand Plane I don't know how to date this brand. It's looks extremely similar to all the Stanleys I have. Overall it's in good shape and should clean up nicely.

Group shots:

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:04 pm
Ah, now this is a fun thread. I’ve gotten to appreciate good hand tools more and more now that I have an actual shop that’s dry and well stocked. ;)

Most of these are not not actually mine, but as I’m the solely responsible for our woodworking program at the ranch, I think of them as mine. I’ll take pics tomorrow, but I regularly use:
Stanley #’s 4, 5, and 6; a Stanley low angle block plane (110?), cabinet scraper (80), a Stanley corner or edge plane, and (our most recent addition) a Veritas medium shoulder plane. More details tomorrow or Thursday, but hand planes are rapidly becoming an enthusiasm of mine.

I’d dearly love a good #7 jointer and maybe a small smoothing plane. Not to mention router planes...
I want a good low angle plane.

A Veritas? Ok, Mr. Fancy Pants.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 pm
Gabriel wrote:

That 110 is super useful. Found it tucked in a drawer when I took over the shop.

The Veritas plane is great. A local church asked for a list of needs and wants for each dept around Christmas time. I gave them a range of suggestions including the shoulder plane as a useful luxury item. God bless them they bought everything on the list! I gave them list so they could pick the one thing in their budget...
Sola Deo Gloria

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm
JMG wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 pm
Gabriel wrote:

That 110 is super useful. Found it tucked in a drawer when I took over the shop.

The Veritas plane is great. A local church asked for a list of needs and wants for each dept around Christmas time. I gave them a range of suggestions including the shoulder plane as a useful luxury item. God bless them they bought everything on the list! I gave them list so they could pick the one thing in their budget...
That's really great!

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:27 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 pm

You should try this website out and find out the date for that plane: https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanle ... ype-study/
Thanks for the site. My plane appears to be a ...

Results: Type 11 Stanley Bailey Hand Plane (1910-1918). Cool.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton